Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pound falls as Yes vote strengths.

Guest Br Cornelius

to drum up support for the 'No' campaign, Westminster today sent up nick clegg & ed milliband.

goodbye Scotland.

it was fun while it lasted.....

if that's all we have to send up to strengthen the vote, then Salmond must be laughing his socks off.
  • Like 1

greenland is north america not europe. but i know what you mean.

Well I dunno. Greenland is legally Europe and Europeans see it as Europe. The geography is secondary here.

greenland is north america not europe. but i know what you mean.

Greenland is officially a kind of subsidiary of Denmark, to all intents and purposes it's independent but officially it comes under Denmark.

Just a thought, if they leave us and become foreign, will all the Scots living in England either change their nationality to English or have to apply for work permits as they won't be Euro citizens but foreign nationals .All foreign people have to apply for work permits for a specifically allowed time then they are deported back to their home countries, which happened to an Aussie school teacher friend of mine who forgot to renew her work permit and was deported.

Aren't EU citizens allowed to work here unrestricted?

I think there's also a similar arrangement for Ireland, isn't there, and (Scare story i quoted earlier notwithstanding) I think the intention seems to be that similar arrangement would apply for Scotland.

I think there's also a similar arrangement for Ireland, isn't there, and (Scare story i quoted earlier notwithstanding) I think the intention seems to be that similar arrangement would apply for Scotland.

Yes Euro citizens are allowed to work here but if the Scots leave they will not be Euro citizens but would have to apply to join Europe. I would bet that all the Scots living in England would like to ge their hands on Salmond for 5 minutes he has let them down badly by Not allowing them to vote.
  • Like 1

if that's all we have to send up to strengthen the vote, then Salmond must be laughing his socks off.

wed've been better off sending the M.D of Greggs & a box of Mars bars Spud!

(ooh-casual racism....!)

We've heard throughout the referendum campaign Scotland doesn't get the government it votes for, how ironic in this referendum - which ever side wins, YES or NO. one side will have a government it didn't vote for. And this Devo-max rubbish, treating Scotland with Kid gloves, the option should be clear YES or NO. take it or leave it. If they go they go. Its getting ridiculous now. the way the debate is going you'd think Scotland as part of the UK was being mistreated, oppressed. exploited. knock the Devo Max option on the head, Its not on the ballot paper, so shouldn't be offered, If we go down the Devo max route where going down the road of Federalism, and there is no point running the United Kingdom on that model.

• Like 1

Just a thought, if they leave us and become foreign, will all the Scots living in England either change their nationality to English or have to apply for work permits as they won't be Euro citizens but foreign nationals .All foreign people have to apply for work permits for a specifically allowed time then they are deported back to their home countries, which happened to an Aussie school teacher friend of mine who forgot to renew her work permit and was deported.

And another thing, if they split from the UK, that means English students will become EU foreign nationals & they'll be entitled to free university tuition in Scotland. Win win all round.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 1

I kind of expect, and of course kind of hope, that there will be a significant "no" break as people actually cast votes -- where it matters (what you tell a pollster doesn't). The "second thought" effect in elections of such things almost always breaks for the status quo.

The arrangement between the UK and Ireland is such that you have automatic recipricol rights to work and social care by treaty. This arrangement predates the EU. I would imagine that a similar treaty arrangement would be enacted between the UK and Scotland based on the same legislation. Up until recently you could freely travel between the two countries without a passport, now you need a form of photo ID to travel - but this can be a driving license.

Br Cornelius

And another thing, if they split from the UK, that means English students will become EU foreign nationals & they'll be entitled to free university tuition in Scotland. Win win all round.

Not if the UK veto's EU membership.

Br Cornelius

We've heard throughout the referendum campaign Scotland doesn't get the government it votes for, how ironic in this referendum - which ever side wins, YES or NO. one side will have a government it didn't vote for. And this Devo-max rubbish, treating Scotland with Kid gloves, the option should be clear YES or NO. take it or leave it. If they go they go. Its getting ridiculous now. the way the debate is going you'd think Scotland as part of the UK was being mistreated, oppressed. exploited. knock the Devo Max option on the head, Its not on the ballot paper, so shouldn't be offered, If we go down the Devo max route where going down the road of Federalism, and there is no point running the United Kingdom on that model.

Why not ? It works rather well for Germany - I would say rather better than the UK. Ask a Scot/Welsh person if you don't believe me.

Br Cornelius

I agree there. Decentralisation is definitely the way to go, i think. The UK Government isn't bothered about what's good for the UK as a whole, or even England as a whole; the only thing that matters is London.

• Like 2

Greenland is officially a kind of subsidiary of Denmark, to all intents and purposes it's independent but officially it comes under Denmark.

Greenland and the Faroe Island has homerule, which means that they have autonomy in most areas, except foreign affairs and defence, which is carried out by the Danish government.

They both have two seats in the Danish parliament.

The Danish queen (Margrethe II) is also queen of greenland and the Faroe Island.

There is really nothing preventing them from becomming independant, except for the small matter of the large amount of money Denmark gives to them every year and without which they would be broke in record time !

Neither Greenland nor the Faroe Islans are members of the EU.

So in short, geographically Greenland is North America, politically it is part of the Kingdom of Denmark, thus European. Hope that clarified it a bit ?

Well I have just sent xmas cards to all my Scottish friends.

A bit premature but there is no way I am paying foreign postage after Friday :santa:

• Like 3

I kind of expect, and of course kind of hope, that there will be a significant "no" break as people actually cast votes -- where it matters (what you tell a pollster doesn't). The "second thought" effect in elections of such things almost always breaks for the status quo.

UK bookmakers are already paying out on 'No' bets Frank.....

• Like 1

"Pound strengthens"... end of thread????

Oh that rational market, got a sniff of a No vote.

Lets watch it rise and fall a few more times before tomorrow :w00t:

Br Cornelius

i don't think england will just let scoutland go. the royal family get to much money from it.

i don't think england will just let scoutland go. the royal family get to much money from it.

thats very colonial of you daniel.

Thats exactly the sort of comment which will get a yes vote.

Br Cornelius

As I understand it the royal family will remain monarchs of Scotland and be able to keep Balmoral. It appears to be undecided whether or not Scotland will kick in for the money paid them, but probably will. The castle is a good tourist attraction that might lose this character if the monarch were not attached to it.

As I understand it the royal family will remain monarchs of Scotland and be able to keep Balmoral. It appears to be undecided whether or not Scotland will kick in for the money paid them, but probably will. The castle is a good tourist attraction that might lose this character if the monarch were not attached to it.

Balmoral is a private residence therefore if any attempt is made to "reclaim" it then that would be tantamount to Nationalisation, and just watch the Oil Companies pack up and leave.

• Like 1

12 hours from now the polls open.

Well its karma. What goes around come around. From Prima Nocte to this day. Also England is not what is used to be. Politicians and police cover up crimes where over 1000 children were being raped by Asians in order to not shake the liberal multiculturalism boat. For instance.