Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pound falls as Yes vote strengths.

Guest Br Cornelius

This isnt Afganistan, we don't have gangs outside our polling booths giving out beatings to people voting the wrong way.

afghans?!

compared to drunken Scotsmen....?

That puzzles me as the three biggest pieces of the pie are still out other than Glasgow. They are even calling for a no percentage a tad bigger than now. I would have thought otherwise, but I sure do hope they are right.

I think what I thought and predicted may have happened. Undecideds usually break for the status quo, and as the consequences began to sink into a few skulls up there the was a "now it is for real" vote to stay with the Union.

I don't think that this referendum was/is divisive enough to warrant a war of any sort. Will there be a bitter taste left in the independence movement with all the scaremongering and threats? sure, but Scotland is no Ukraine and England no Russia. But the manner in which Westminster conducted itself in trying to force the Scottish public into submission with threats on jobs, currency and natural resources will be a lodestone that will eventually sink the UK in years to come if it hasn't already.

Cheers

Most of the attempts to "force the Scottish public into submission" that I saw came from Scottish-based companies. As to this somehow becoming a lodestone, it is an interesting suggestion.

Perhaps you meant millstone?

* Final result *

Soo it was Nooo then, was it. A bit disappointing in a way, it would've been quite exciting to have a brand new country. Still, the wisdom and persuasiveness of David Cameroon and Alastair Darling prevailed over the Caledonian sentiment of Alex S. So does that mean that England will continue to be able to be governed by Scottish politicians? That's not fair! I demand freedom! We should have a referendum over whether we want to be independent of Scotland!!

• Like 2

I got to congratulate Scotland on a record turn-out.....what a great campaign on both sides.

Looks like it is going to be good for us all though - new proposals for all 4 countries by November, legislated by January.....the people of those countries actually voting on the issues relating directly to those countries. This whole debate and vote might be good for us all if it leads to changes promised.

• Like 1

I'm well happy at the no vote, I feel like we should be having a street party or something.

They need to devolve powers to Scotland not roll out the red carpet treatement for them as it isnt fair on the rest of the UK.

yes, that's exactly what I was saying somewhere else, what's going to happen is that the Westminster government is going to do all it can to placate Scotland, but isn't going to do a thing about doing anything similar in England, where in many areas there's every bit as much of a case for devolution of power as there is for Scotland. If anything it'll see it as a vote of confidence in itself and make the London-based government even more domineering and arrogant.

yes, that's exactly what I was saying somewhere else, what's going to happen is that the Westminster government is going to do all it can to placate Scotland, but isn't going to do a thing about doing anything similar in England, where in many areas there's every bit as much of a case for devolution of power as there is for Scotland. If anything it'll see it as a vote of confidence in itself and make the London-based government even more domineering and arrogant.

We need a federation of 4 nations not the current political enttity.

If previous generations had been more intelligent a federation would have stopped Canada and Austrailia wanting independance too.

Well, that's it, Scotland remains part of the UK. Good! Alas, that means we're going to get the usual whinging from those who lost, with a chip on their shoulders over the traitors who refused to show their support. Think I'm kidding? It'll happen, as up here we can't half hold a grudge...

Must say, the voter turn out is impressive. I'm trying to track down a rumour from last night that at least one polling station shut early due to having all their voters cast their ballots, which if true is bloody impressive! I live near a street junction that leads to the polling station for the area, and the steady stream of people going was certainly different to what you would normally see for any form of election. Now if we could just have this sort of numbers voting every time, that would be great.

As to this:

afghans?!

compared to drunken Scotsmen....?

Oh, you've been up here on weekends then? :whistle:

• Like 2

Congratulations Britain, you are still Great. :tu:

• Like 2

Well, that's it, Scotland remains part of the UK. Good!

ain't that the truth!

Must say, the voter turn out is impressive. I'm trying to track down a rumour from last night that at least one polling station shut early due to having all their voters cast their ballots, which if true is bloody impressive!

impressive indeed!!

As to this:

Oh, you've been up here on weekends then? :whistle:

i have Shayde aye.

a couple of years ago i spent a week in Aberdeen, checking out the dozens of stone circles around there & it p***ed it down non-stop the whole time. day and night. which, in a tent, almost tipped me over the edge with the noise!

but by christ, what a beautiful place!

you certainly know how to do scenery.....

Edited by shrooma
  • Like 1

I make a toast to the sensible Scots.....Lang may yer lum reek...Slainte Mhar.

( Any chance of Home Rule for Mackems )

• Like 1

Had a fiver on the result with my other half. I said it would be 56% No. It's come out at 55% and he won't let me have it!!! Swindled!

Edited by Emma_Acid
  • Like 1

It is a remarkably close result considering with the exception of the Scottish Herald the media was overwhelmingly in favour of a no vote.It would've been interesting to see the result if the No campaign would've got anything like the favourable press that the Yes campaign got

I think this has to be a wake up call for both England and Scotland. There are clearly a great many very disgruntled Scots, many of them young who need to be listened too.

If not then this will happen all over again in a decade or two.

• Like 1

I think perhaps some of the negative campaigning & intimidation by the YES supporters may have had the opposite effect to what they wanted.

I think perhaps some of the negative campaigning & intimidation by the YES supporters may have had the opposite effect to what they wanted.

I think people saw through a lot of it. I have no doubts that Scotland could run its own country and economy and do it well. However the idea that a yes vote would suddenly transform the country overnight was not very believable.