Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pound falls as Yes vote strengths.

Guest Br Cornelius

i have Shayde aye.

a couple of years ago i spent a week in Aberdeen, checking out the dozens of stone circles around there & it p***ed it down non-stop the whole time. day and night. which, in a tent, almost tipped me over the edge with the noise!

but by christ, what a beautiful place!

you certainly know how to do scenery.....

Ahh, the majesty of walking through a glen, standing atop a Munroe, or indeed, looking at an ancient stone circle.... While of course getting soaked by heavy rain, dumped on by a ton of snow, bitten every which way by sodding midges, and wondering what the hells the growling sound you hear coming from a thick woodland is! :tu:

Scotland. If you want continuous good weather, you've come to the wrong place!!! :clap:

• Like 1

My word, is that his official residence? Nice mantelpiece.

I love the comments, especially the one;

' He could share a house with Gordon Brown ,He knows a thing or 2 about loosing.'

Gave me a smile

I guess they are like Quebec now. If they wanted independence. now was the best chance from an economical point of view.

Well Salmond has thrown in the towel.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otland-29277527

His obsessional dream of an independent Scotland is over.

Not too surprised Salmond's quit. It seems to be the way when any politician gets a drubbing at any poll. Sort of "WAHH! You're NOT PLAYING RIGHT! I'm TAKING MY BALL AWAY!!"

It does make sense, the poor man's - in his own words - not a young feller, and he has given the SNP a good many years as not only a party member, but as its leader. But then again, what does it say to his electorate, that because he failed, he's quitting?

• Like 1

And yet we are on track for a civil war over this ..........

Br Cornelius

And the problems and tensions have already started in Glasgow.

Right now there's 100s of Police on the cities streets seperating pro and anti union sides. Some fighting has already started. Wait until they get drunk later and all hell will break lose.

Edited by RabidMongoose

Well Salmond has thrown in the towel.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otland-29277527

His obsessional dream of an independent Scotland is over.

It was the Honourable thing to do. just in the same way, if the SNP had won, Prime Minister David Cameron would've had to stand down, losing the union. But David Cameron called the SNP's bluff and won. History will be kind to him, the Prime Minister who saved the Union. and so it continues 307 years +

• Like 1

It was the Honourable thing to do. just in the same way, if the SNP had won, Prime Minister David Cameron would've had to stand down, losing the union. But David Cameron called the SNP's bluff and won. History will be kind to him, the Prime Minister who saved the Union. and so it continues 307 years +

Oh god, the smug twit isn't going to try to pretend that it was all about love for him, is he. If by any miracle this means that the ineffectual twerp has any chance of being reelected, I'm gonna start a campaign for the rest of England to be free from the tyranny of London.

And the problems and tensions have already started in Glasgow.

Right now there's 100s of Police on the cities streets seperating pro and anti union sides. Some fighting has already started. Wait until they get drunk later and all hell will break lose.

Not quite accurate...

Trouble flared in the section of Glasgow called George Square, between a mob of pro independence and pro union numpties. Police got in the middle of these mob, and currently - or at least in the last half hour (time of typing 20:20) - having to put up with both moronic groups shouting abuse at each other, and singing what sounds like football chants. Think this is less civil war in the making, just two groups of idiots trying to start a minor rammy.

Makes you proud to be a Scot... :td:

Edited by Shayde
  • Like 2

Wonder what the Irish thinks of all this now .... :D

Oh god, the smug twit isn't going to try to pretend that it was all about love for him, is he. If by any miracle this means that the ineffectual twerp has any chance of being reelected, I'm gonna start a campaign for the rest of England to be free from the tyranny of London.

How about freeing all of us, London included, from the tyranny of twerps like Cameron and his replacement "Boris the Idiot" Johnson?

Thank you, Scotland, for not walking away and leaving us with a permanent government of Spitting Image puppets. Seriously, thank you.

• Like 2

How about freeing all of us, London included, from the tyranny of twerps like Cameron and his replacement "Boris the Idiot" Johnson?

Thank you, Scotland, for not walking away and leaving us with a permanent government of Spitting Image puppets. Seriously, thank you.

Yes & we've seen the alternative (don't say you've forgotten Nu Labours reign already) & it's not nice having to choose between the lesser of two evils but hey,that's democracy for you.

(p.s. The trouble is, only one of them knows how to run an economy)

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 1

Yes & we've seen the alternative (don't say you've forgotten Nu Labours reign already) & it's not nice having to choose between the lesser of two evils but hey,that's democracy for you.

(p.s. The trouble is, only one of them knows how to run an economy)

I cannot understand the lambasting the Tory party get. the greatest days in this country have been achieved under a Tory government. but bring it to the modern day, i noted in the Scottish referendum they were going on about the Tory party from 30 years ago and Maggie Thatcher. thirty years ago Jesus H Christ.

• Like 2

I cannot understand the lambasting the Tory party get. the greatest days in this country have been achieved under a Tory government. but bring it to the modern day, i noted in the Scottish referendum they were going on about the Tory party from 30 years ago and Maggie Thatcher. thirty years ago Jesus H Christ.

Didn't I say that we have a grudge about this? Well, not only this but other historical slights and abuses that a chunk of folk here cannot seem to get over. Yes, the current lot in power haven't exactly been sweetness and light, but instead on talking about their record, the opposition instead lumps it all together and goes on, and on, and on...... Biggest laugh is that they'll ignore the c***-ups, disasters and the like from the likes of Labour and SNP because that doesn't fit their agenda.

• Like 2

The political left does that a lot -- character assassination. I see how in the States a Republican president gets the same treatment (usually stupidity is the mantra, as though someone who has achieved the Presidency is going to be stupid). I think it's intellectual arrogance, and an inability to frame cogent argument so reverting to ad hominem stuff.

I have to say calling a political leader a "twerp" just automatically disqualifies the speaker from having any credence for his or her views.

I would not say right-wingers are not guilty of this sort of thing too -- it goes with partisanship rather than statesmanship, and seems to strengthen one's base of support. Still, the left (speaking as someone not directly involved and just observing from the benches) is much more blatant and strident and louder at this sort of thing.

• Like 2

The Thatcher revolution, when an entirely invented boom was engineered out of thin air to give a completely fake impression of prosperity, which (again this point) almost entirely benefitted the City, while the rest of the country was more or less told that it could all go to hell for all the Government cared? Edited by Valdemar the Great

The political left does that a lot -- character assassination. I see how in the States a Republican president gets the same treatment (usually stupidity is the mantra, as though someone who has achieved the Presidency is going to be stupid). I think it's intellectual arrogance, and an inability to frame cogent argument so reverting to ad hominem stuff.

I have to say calling a political leader a "twerp" just automatically disqualifies the speaker from having any credence for his or her views.

I would not say right-wingers are not guilty of this sort of thing too -- it goes with partisanship rather than statesmanship, and seems to strengthen one's base of support. Still, the left (speaking as someone not directly involved and just observing from the benches) is much more blatant and strident and louder at this sort of thing.

What, so politicians should be respected merely for getting where they are, when how they got where they are was almost always due to sheer naked hunger for power? Why does that deserve respect? Whyever does wanting power over people demand respect? It should demand just the opposite. And if you really think it's only right wing leaders that get treated in such a disgraceful way, have you forgotten already mr. T. Blair? Now surely if anyone ever deserved disrespect.

And mr. Obama doesn't get treated like that? Have you seen any of the American press, which is predominantly right wing? Or just about any thread in the U.S. Politics section here?

Thatcher is right up there with Churchill in the ranks. The Prime Ministers that have come from the left are nowhere near them. People do make history up as it goes to suit their agenda, and this is too bad. They thereby miss what is really going on.

• Like 2

Thatcher is right up with Churchill on the grounds of doing what exactly? Surely you're not going to argue she was a great war leader? Galtieri was hardly A.H., and it was largely due to her government's decision, in its first year in office, to run down the Navy and sell HMS Endurance and Invincible that prompted him to have a go at the Falklands. And for everything else she did, even if it was necessary to reduce the power of the unions (which it certainly was), doing it by destroying the industries that they depended on really was cutting off one's nose to spite one's face.

I see that as soon as the war was over the British electorate gave Churchill the boot. Shows what's wrong with elective democracies.

One does not have to be a great war leader to be great. Undoing the huge damage of bad economic policies and putting a nation back on a growth trail will do.

Sometimes outmoded industries with dinosaur management in the habit of caving to unions all the time, or who have no choice and the union is unreasonable and selfish, need to be allowed to go. A nation is better off buying from foreigners if the foreigners can produce it cheaper -- that way the nation doesn't waste money on subsidies or barriers -- and can concentrate on what it does best. The economic process is called "creative destruction" and means that it is foolish to try to hold onto old industries when their time has come.