Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Eggs from deadly spider found in bananas

UM-Bot

A woman from Essex returned from the supermarket to find a clutch of strange eggs on a bunch of bananas.

30-year-old Abby Woodgate had initially mistaken the eggs for mould and had attempted to remove it so that she could still use the rest of the bunch when she discovered that it was actually a cocoon containing a quantity of tiny eggs.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/272164/eggs-from-deadly-spider-found-in-bananas

I would have kept them....and raised them.....and given thanks to the Lord Kodash for giving me the gift of his children........

Or I would have called Orkin......but one of the two I swear.

Edited by Ralaman

When I was young, I worked at a grocery. My manager told me that, when he was young, bananas were shipped in bunches to stores and not separated and crated, as they are today. One day he was in the backroom breaking down a bunch for merchandising, when a spider the size of his hand scurried out of it.. These spiders are as large as tarantulas but much more venomous and he spent all day in the stockroom hunting that spider to kill it which he finally did.

• Like 3

oh my god I just looked at a picture of one of these spiders and it really is big as a tarantula and it even has fangs that are even bigger it's a good thing she found the eggs before they hatched or it would've ended really badly

Day-O (The Banana Boat Song)

A beautiful bunch o' ripe banana

Daylight come and me wan' go home

Hide the deadly black tarantula

Daylight come and me wan' go home

• Like 1

I found an 8 inch Tiger Salamander in the produce chillin on some lettuce at our local foodmart. I kept him as a pet for about a year and released him one spring. Beautiful creature

Spiders found in supermarket bananas are becoming quite a common event these days. I don't expect to find one in mine but the thought is always there when I bring them home and open the bag. Finding a cocoon of spider's eggs is more unusual, she's lucky they were just the eggs.

• Like 1

Spiders found in supermarket bananas are becoming quite a common event these days. I don't expect to find one in mine but the thought is always there when I bring them home and open the bag. Finding a cocoon of spider's eggs is more unusual, she's lucky they were just the eggs.

Why is it so common I wonder? Is it just that the word gets out more easily these days, or is it something else? To non-arachnophobes this might sounds silly, but stories like these seriously make me consider a complete stop to purchasing bananas, these finds seem far too common and the prospect of sticking my hands in to a banana packet and a Brazilian wandering spider, or any spider for that matter, appearing is terrifying to me.

• Like 1

Happen to me once, i kept the eggs because i was curious and when they hatched, i dumped them in the wood in my town. once every year, a teenager mysteriously disappear during the summer, i always wonder if it's because of those eggs...

• Like 1

[Climbs on the table.] Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope.

• Like 1

It does seem like this is happening more. I wonder why, are there more of these spiders than there use to be or has it become more news worthy so you hear about it more.

Edited by Ashotep

We have a spider in Vietnam about as big, quite harmless but not much afraid, that chases cockroaches and can, like a lot of spiders, take a chunk out of your arm with his jaws (mandibles?) but whose venom is designed to kill cockroaches, not other things, and is therefore basically harmless, although disturbing until you recognize what it is.

I might add, to be able to handle the cockroaches you find here, you gotta be pretty big.

Edited by Frank Merton

There's a story, once a year or near abouts, of people getting bitten by Red-Backs in the shops in the banana isle.

Same thing happened about a year ago . Very similar .

This happens every so often, people have to understand the shear volume of bananas that a picked and sent abroad every single day. World exports of bananas are around 163 million tons per year! Bananas plants are home to a whole host of critters from harmless to deadly and that fact only a few spiders get reported about making it to the UK is good news and IMO proof of an over use of insecticides.

The real worry that you probably don't know about is that there are a whole host of pests and diseases that are killing bananas off. An example is the 'Cavendish' banana which is the most popular and commonly available type in Europe and the USA. Due to humans almost OCD compulsion to destroy genetic diversity in fruit and vegetables ,we as a species, have created an almost perfect storm for several types of banana to be wiped out. The 'Cavendish' is under threat from Panama disease which causes the plant to die in sunlight! As the disease is a fungus that grows in the soil and into the roots of the plant then it is incredibly easy to infect massive farms in a very short amount of time. The delicious Cavendish is expected to become non-viable for farming within 20 years. Think I'm scare mongering? Well The Cavendish already replaced the 'Gros Michel' banana which was until the 1950's the most popular banana that was mostly killed off by fungus in South America and Africa.

The cost of fighting these fungi related diseases is rising to levels that if continued will make bananas a luxury item within a few years and every year that we pump more poisons into the ground to kill the threat, the threat gets stronger. Thing is though... All we have to do is use common sense and make farmers grow a whole host of fruits and types of bananas and encourage cross breeding and experimental breeding. Considering the great things that humans are capable of we are overall a greedy, selfish, arrogant and ignorant species that will eventually instigate out own demise.

• Like 1

According to a professor of entomology, the eggs are unlikely to have belonged to the claimed spider.

Only one of the two genera of the Brazilian wandering spider, Phoneutria poses a threat to humans, the other does not.

http://www.livescien...ed-bananas.html

• Like 1

Orange you glad you didn't eat those bananas?

• Like 1

The banana industry nevertheless needs to deal with this better -- some people hearing such stories will stop buying them.

• Like 1

The banana industry nevertheless needs to deal with this better -- some people hearing such stories will stop buying them.

given that the VAST majority of people who eat bananas are under single digits, I don't think "spiders" will put the people buying the bananas off, as often they're the only fruit (yes, I know they're not fruit, they're herbs) that kids will eat (my brother, for example, spent neatly a year only eating bananas and Savoury Shapes, the GP said "as long as his fingernails are growing, he's fine").

Little does she know it's just because the mama spider decided to temporarily leave the eggs to go hunting. :unsure2:

But she'll be back! :o