Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Worlds first 3-d printed car made in 44 hours

seeder

Behind the wheel of world's first 3D-printed car: Futuristic vehicle is made in 44 hours using just 40 parts ... and it costs £11,000

Strati was conceived of by Arizona-based innovators Local Motors

Created on a giant printer using digital manufacturing techniques

The battery-powered, two-passenger car is made from carbon fiber

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2756181/History-making-The-futuristic-3D-printed-car-just-40-parts-costs-11-000-takes-44-hours-build.html#ixzz3DObRZf7z

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• seeder

• Space Commander Travis

• keithisco

• and-then

i think the term "3D printer" is a misleading marketing gimmick really. What these are is straightforward production machines, such as are used in any factory, to which inputs are sent using a PC or laptop or, I expect before long, Snart phone. To call it a "printer" attributes magical skills to it that kind of implies that it can produce things like cars and guns or whatever from paper, doesn't it. Now that would by a breakthrough.

Its a tad misleading I agree, for many years anyone with the inclination could buy a ready made kit car shell:

2495949028_6685844116_n.jpg

And with kit cars, you then need all the other 'kit' like wheels, chassis, engine, wiring looms, lights, interior etc etc, which the 'printed' version also needs, so yeh, its just a shell thats printed

Seems we're still a far off from the day of the Star Trek "replicator" ;)

• Like 1

Seems we're still a far off from the day of the Star Trek "replicator" ;)

True, but the implications of prototyping and assembling a functioning vehicle "quickly" and "cheaply" are just insanely great.

i think the term "3D printer" is a misleading marketing gimmick really. What these are is straightforward production machines, such as are used in any factory, to which inputs are sent using a PC or laptop or, I expect before long, Snart phone. To call it a "printer" attributes magical skills to it that kind of implies that it can produce things like cars and guns or whatever from paper, doesn't it. Now that would by a breakthrough.

Not really, they eventually hope to be able to "print" human organs which would really be something. It does give the paper impression, but as we move into a paperless society the term might become more appropriate.

Behind the wheel of world's first 3D-printed car: Futuristic vehicle is made in 44 hours using just 40 parts ... and it costs £11,000

Strati was conceived of by Arizona-based innovators Local Motors

Created on a giant printer using digital manufacturing techniques

The battery-powered, two-passenger car is made from carbon fiber

http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz3DObRZf7z

I like this technology as it means the dominance of Chinese industry is coming to an end as using a 3D Printer will become even cheaper than 3rd world labour. Heck, it might get rid of nearly all businesses on the planet and bring in the information/3D Printer age. In a few decades we might simply be able to go onto the internet, download the designs we want from food to clothes to machines and printe them ourselves.