Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

the UFO on the Rosetta Comet

some new guy

Kindly take your facts somewhere else. This is the place for baseless fact-free speculation.

i have to say, you are right again! In matter of fact we are on the "unexplained mysteries forums". If they will be explained then everyone will write in News magazines, or in science blogs as sole places for such discoveries.

It is admirable the dedication and the amount of time ( i hope not money too) some of you "non believers" spend daily in this forum trying to deter everyone's opinion from their believes...

Edited by qxcontinuum

i have to say, you are right again! In matter of fact we are on the "unexplained mysteries forums". If they will be explained then everyone will write in News magazines, or in science blogs as sole places for such discoveries.

It is admirable the dedication and the amount of time ( i hope not money too) some of you "non believers" spend daily in this forum trying to deter everyone's opinion from their believes...

You really don't get it do you?

Edited by Merc14

Why should you be allowed to offer your explanations to these mysteries and not us?

Why should you be allowed to offer your explanations to these mysteries and not us?

He likes shiny objects and thinks anytime one shows up the entire mission should come to a screeching halt and investigate. He truly believes ET is all around us and now thinks it that the various exploration teams are purposely covering up evidence.

It's really kind of sad that some folks find a rendezvous with a comet and landing on it so boring that they have to invent fairy tales to entertain themselves.

• Like 4

It's really kind of sad that some folks find a rendezvous with a comet and landing on it so boring that they have to invent fairy tales to entertain themselves.

Landing date is tentatively scheduled for November 11th. If they make it the 11th hour of the 11th day we'll know the reason.

"I know all those words, but that statement doesn't make any sense to me!" - Lisa Simpson
  • Like 3

Could be a u.f.o hitching a ride.

By UFO you mean...what?

Cheers,

Badeskov

• Like 1

Could be a u.f.o hitching a ride.

Yes because faster than light vehicles always take a breather on a slow moving comet when the opportunity arises.

• Like 2

That is a truly fine point. Thanks JWB. :)

I still don ' t understand why the posibility of having an artificial object is so strongly disaproved. In the same time we must say without good picture shots it cannot be disaproved nor convincing...

I still don't understand why the possibility of having an artificial object is so strongly disapproved. In the same time we must say without good picture shots it cannot be disapproved nor convincing...

Such an object would be truly wonderful--if it existed. Unfortunately, fantasizing about such a thing with absolutely no proof frustrates a lot of people. It's like giving a starving dog a rubber bone. Finding a curious speck in a photograph and spinning wild tales about it is very unsatisfying. People don't like to be teased and require real sustenance, real facts.

We live in an age of unprecedented close up intimate fantastic imagery of asteroids, comets, planets, etc and yet qxcontinuum insists on whinging about how bad the images are. It's frankly getting pathetic to listen to.

Such an image as this thread has arisen from couldn't have been imagined when I was a kid. That's a freaking comet a few miles in diameter and millions of mikes away! How about some humility in the light of such achievements instead of bs about how your pocket camera is better...

We live in an age of unprecedented close up intimate fantastic imagery of asteroids, comets, planets, etc and yet qxcontinuum insists on whinging about how bad the images are. It's frankly getting pathetic to listen to.

Such an image as this thread has arisen from couldn't have been imagined when I was a kid. That's a freaking comet a few miles in diameter and millions of mikes away! How about some humility in the light of such achievements instead of bs about how your pocket camera is better...

driving all these wonderful billion dollars worth devices to their destination was such of achievement!

Although scientific there isn't much of value excepting photography which also lacks modern tehnology.

Perhaps space exploration should now be handle to the Ministry of Transportation instead.

driving all these wonderful billion dollars worth devices to their destination was such of achievement!

Although scientific there isn't much of value excepting photography which also lacks modern tehnology.

Perhaps space exploration should now be handle to the Ministry of Transportation instead.

What is wrong with you? I explained that the high res photos will be released in 6 months or so yet you continue your whining. Stop acting like a 6 year old. Also, there is far more than cameras on that vehicle you simpleton, at least have the decency to do a little bit of research before coming in this site and throwing another tantrum about shiny things in photographs.

• Like 4

I am always astounding at people getting caught up in the "baubles in the images" and not the science. There is quite a bit more to this probe than the images. Yet, that is what people focus on because it is the lazy thing to do. The glint in the image fascinates here just as a glint does on a beach. I was quite surprised to see the shape of this object. I'm surprised no UFO wackos have claimed such a shape is not natural and must be the result of alien mining operations. Forget the glint. Get past the images and examine the exciting world of real science.

• Like 1

I am telling you exactly what is wrong with me;

I see birocracy and coorporate thinking, investments and creations made to achieve slower results so people behind the projects and operations will get to stay more time employed under the program. I see contracts signed with dedicated manufacturing older companies that are supplying extrimely costly parts built with outdated and costly technologies. No wonder the master cam on the curiosity rover has only 2.1 megapixels. In matter of fact was built under an older project designed 11 years ago with the tehnology existent back then. Also in 2 years this thing has moved only 9 km driving every day. You are asking me what is wrong with me? A 4 billion dollar device equiped with 6 wheels which can go in the Guiness book of records as the slowest mobile ever built and managed to damage its wheels while doing so.

You are saying the rover doesn't take picture of unusual artefacts or things that sparkled everyone's imagination creating superstitions.Of course in the absence of additional investigations that should pay off its name curiosity is not curios enough and its drivers are only limiting to suppositions claimimg there are more serious goals needing to rush to a certain destination. But I see in many of Nasa's pictures is often moving in circles.

Real experts are wondering too. Read below article and senior reviews to see that not even planetary scientists have no clue what this mission is all about. The money invested in such program and device could have feed all the african children's curently starving to death 10 years.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/science/Nasa-review-says-Mars-rover-Curiosity-lacks-focus/articleshow/41885529.cms

Edited by qxcontinuum

Rosetta's camera sucks, all it does is take low res photos :angry: WTF. Do a little research on OSIRIS and Philae before whining.

Instrument Description

OSIRIS (
O
ptical,
S
pectroscopic, and
I
nfrared
R
emote
I
maging
S
ystem) is a dual camera imaging system operating in the visible, near infrared and near ultraviolet wavelength ranges. OSIRIS consists of two independent camera systems sharing common electronics. The narrow angle camera is designed to produce high spatial resolution images of the nucleus of the target comet. The wide angle camera has a wide field of view and high straylight rejection to image the dust and gas directly above the surface of the nucleus of the target comet. Each camera is equipped with filter wheels to allow selection of imaging wavelengths for various purposes.

The OSIRIS experiment comprises the two cameras, two sensor readout electronics boxes, the OSIRIS common electronics box and a set of interconnecting harnesses.

The cameras are mounted on the outside of the spacecraft and thermally isolated from it. The sensor readout electronics boxes are located inside the spacecraft, each as close as possible to its camera to minimise harness length. The central electronics box is located elsewhere inside the spacecraft with a dedicated cooling louvre on the outside panel surface.

Philae

Philae's mission is to land successfully on the surface of a comet, and transmit data from the surface about the comet's composition. Unlike the
probe, which by design struck comet
's nucleus on 4 July 2005, Philae is not an impactor. Some of the instruments and the lander were used for the first time as autonomous systems during the Mars flyby on 25 February 2007. ÇIVA, the camera system, returned some images while the Rosetta instruments were powered down; ROMAP took measurements of the
. Most of the other instruments need contact with the surface for analysis and stayed offline during the flyby. An optimistic estimate of mission length is "four to five months".

Bottom line is Rosetta has just started her mission and is far more than some ****ty low res camera. Most of the science data will not be released for 6 months so the scientists, who have dedicated the last 15+ years to this mission, can have first crack at the data. Nothing unusual there.

This is an incredible mission and wildly successful to date. To arrive healthy and operational after 10.5 years of whipping around the solar system is amazing in and of itself but to orbit a comet at the end of that journey, with all systems go, is remarkable. In November Philae lands on the surface and soon after that we'll have a front row seat to a comet starting to outgas. Wow.

I have been waiting a decade for this as I remember the day it launched and couldn't imagine seeing the mission actually start but now we are here. I guess when I hear whining about waiting a few months for some high res images when this mission has just begun torques my axx. So much is going to happen over the next few months with this mission that whining about shiny things and UFOs after just a month in orbit seems childish, ridiculous and ignorant beyond belief. Enjoy the ride folks, it is going to be a good one.

I am telling you exactly what is wrong with me;

I see birocracy and coorporate thinking, investments and creations made to achieve slower results so people behind the projects and operations will get to stay more time employed under the program. I see contracts signed with dedicated manufacturing older companies that are supplying extrimely costly parts built with outdated and costly technologies. No wonder the master cam on the curiosity rover has only 2.1 megapixels. In matter of fact was built under an older project designed 11 years ago with the tehnology existent back then. Also in 2 years this thing has moved only 9 km driving every day. You are asking me what is wrong with me? A 4 billion dollar device equiped with 6 wheels which can go in the Guiness book of records as the slowest mobile ever built and managed to damage its wheels while doing so.

You are saying the rover doesn't take picture of unusual artefacts or things that sparkled everyone's imagination creating superstitions.Of course in the absence of additional investigations that should pay off its name curiosity is not curios enough and its drivers are only limiting to suppositions claimimg there are more serious goals needing to rush to a certain destination. But I see in many of Nasa's pictures is often moving in circles.

Real experts are wondering too. Read below article and senior reviews to see that not even planetary scientists have no clue what this mission is all about. The money invested in such program and device could have feed all the african children's curently starving to death 10 years.

http://timesofindia....ow/41885529.cms

Wrong thread.

Edited by Merc14

Ok. I am waiting to see real spectacular photos ... I like you Merc because you are well educated, patient and respectful in dialogs.... Unlike jesse that in all of his answers he seems to be out of balance, ironical and arrogant.

Edited by qxcontinuum

Ok. I am waiting to see real spectacular photos ... I like you Merc because you are well educated, patient and respectful in dialogs.... Unlike jesse that in all of his answers he seems to be out of balance, ironical and arrogant.

Actually you have already seen spectacular photos, truly spectacular photos of a comet from a spacecraft in orbit around it. It's a first.

Edited by Merc14

Utmost respect should be given to the smart little probe and the team behind it. This mission is ground breaking in so many ways.

An orbital rendezvous is always a major feat, even for reaching a body as massive as a planet, and actually achieving orbit around an object as small as a comet is amazing, and I don't think we appreciate that. The gravity of a planet sized object will do much of the work for you when attempting to rendezvous with it, however a comet will have such a tiny influence over space that the calculations and consequent maneuvres must be absolutely precise.

While the probe has a camera that provide the reality to the mission, actually the data we will get is the amazing bit. We will garner from this mission all sorts of spectacular insights into the comet and as such gain access to the untouched building blocks of our Solar System. If you have ever asked the question how and why are we here, and you have got to pretty unique (in a bad way) if you havn't, then this is the mission that may just start to provide some answers.

The pictures are just the icing on the cake.

• Like 2

Utmost respect should be given to the smart little probe and the team behind it. This mission is ground breaking in so many ways.

An orbital rendezvous is always a major feat, even for reaching a body as massive as a planet, and actually achieving orbit around an object as small as a comet is amazing, and I don't think we appreciate that. The gravity of a planet sized object will do much of the work for you when attempting to rendezvous with it, however a comet will have such a tiny influence over space that the calculations and consequent maneuvres must be absolutely precise.

While the probe has a camera that provide the reality to the mission, actually the data we will get is the amazing bit. We will garner from this mission all sorts of spectacular insights into the comet and as such gain access to the untouched building blocks of our Solar System. If you have ever asked the question how and why are we here, and you have got to pretty unique (in a bad way) if you havn't, then this is the mission that may just start to provide some answers.

The pictures are just the icing on the cake.

thank you for adding a sprinkle of poetry on top of this bickering cake.....!

• Like 1