Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cabinet door opens by itself and shatters

Still Waters

This is the moment a glass cabinet door opens by itself in an empty room - before shattering into pieces.

Staff at the Barnsley Auction Centre in South Yorkshire, thought intruders had smashed the cabinet after they found shards of glass all over the floor.

But they were left terrified after they examined CCTV of the auction room, which shows nobody was anywhere near the object when it suddenly shattered.

http://www.dailymail...ieces-room.html

• Like 1

Why is the camera moving? Did someone record the playback of the recording on their phone or something?

Why is the camera moving? Did someone record the playback of the recording on their phone or something?

Yeah, looks like it.

The ghost obviously didn't want to get rid of the cabinet

• Like 1

This is a frameless glass door, meaning it has hinges directly attached to the glass or holes drilled through the glass for bolts to fit through. If the former, it is possible the screws were adjusted too tight shattering the glass. If the hinged tipped in any way it could have also accounted for the door opening, seemingly on its own. At least this seems more logical than ghosts to me.

• Like 2

It's probably filmed off a monitor.

Look at the timestamp. This all seems to happen in the fraction of a second.

Edited by FLOMBIE

This is a frameless glass door, meaning it has hinges directly attached to the glass or holes drilled through the glass for bolts to fit through. If the former, it is possible the screws were adjusted too tight shattering the glass. If the hinged tipped in any way it could have also accounted for the door opening, seemingly on its own. At least this seems more logical than ghosts to me.

Sounds the most likely explanation. It's not that rare a phenomenon. Same thing happened to my shower door.

There is fair amount of literature on exploding or spontaneous glass breakage. It can be caused, as mentioned, by flaws in the glass, thermal stresses, or binding. The American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM), for example, has several papers directed to proper glass design due to the dangers associated with this issue.

• Like 1

I know that sometimes if you leave your house and slam the door, the cabinet doors will jump at the air pressure wave.

over time old wood swells, glass absorbs the pressure, finally glass door pops open from the strain, pressure on glass releases, door shatters.

still a cool video.

Edited by praetorian-legio XIII
  • Like 1

All it takes is a slight change in temperature for this to happen. I used to work in a club and after washing the glasses in the machine they would sometimes explode in your hand or on the shelves 5 minutes after they were left alone. The glass can expand a little which weakens the integrity and as it cools it explodes. I kinda wish it was a ghost though.

Edited by mesuma
  • Like 1

It looks as if the cabinet is leaning forward slightly, look at the gap between the back of it and the wall. All it took was time.

I agree with most of posters here. Even though I'm not a skeptic, I really think it's the case the door swung open, (yeah, I too see the gap between the thing and the wall) and probably air pressure and possibly the age of the glass caused it to shatter. I also noticed that the shattering is not localized in one spot. I would think a ghost per say, would hit at one spot and then subsequential shattering. It just shattered all over at the beginning.

Nice piece of video Photoshop IMO. If you look at the line in the wall to the right of the cabinet. It has a ghostly line near it that precisely matches where the edge of the glass door appears, but the line is gone after the glass supposedly shatters. The door does not actually swing open but just appears.

I don't know about the glass or the door, but the camera moves slightly, as if it is hand held. Do the cameras move or are they stationary?

I work in the film biz.

Couple of squibs and any glass will shatter by remote.

All very plausible rational explanations that are fairly common place from time to time though pretty frightening, does the article provide any information on the building's history and known paranormal activity? You wouldn't think an auction centre would get much more influx from a story about a cabinet breaking, castles and pubs maybe, so not much reason to suggest they set up an elaborate hoax.

A woman I know said that one day they heard their glass shower doors shatter. They ran into the bathroom the next instant to find the broken pieces of glass piled perfectly in a pyramid shape in the middle of the bathroom floor. She said a lot of other weird things used to happen there but I didn't have the chance at the time to ask the details of those.

• 3 weeks later...

'The owner of an antique store says it’s been turned into a real-life little shop of horrors after ghosts started causing chaos.

Daniel Parker said ghouls are smashing glasses and knocking over valuables in Barnsley Antique Centre in South Yorks.'

http://metro.co.uk/2...e-shop-4909149/

• 2 weeks later...

When I was a very little feller, I was taken to see the cars at a control point in one of the Round Australia Rallies. It might have been 1958. The windscreen of a Ford Zephyr (I think it was a Ford Zephyr) standing in the forecourt of a local service station shattered, nobody near the car at the time. I recall it was very cold.

Some time back about 1968 the windscreen of my father's Austin 1800 shattered while it was parked in a garage.

​Probably both windscreens had been struck by flying stones but the effect took a while to happen. (​ what is this and why is it here?)

The building where I worked has curved glass balustrades on an internal staircase. It was completed in 1998. About 7 years ago, one of the curved panels shattered about 8:10 one morning as staff were arriving. A load bang, glass shards everywhere but it missed everyone, no injuries. This led to all the panels being coated with plastic film.

This sort of thing is nothing unusual, specially with curved glass sheets.

Edited by Codenwarra