Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Science Behind Irrational Beliefs

Davros of Skaro

Irrational beliefs and experiences explained through Science.

Neil deGrasse Tyson on religious people 

Dopamine Jackpot! Sapolsky on the Science of Pleasure 

The Chemistry of Addiction 

Why am I hallucinating? 

James Randi: Scientists Fooled by a Match Box Trick 

Michael Shermer: The pattern behind self-deception

OCD & Anxiety Disorders

Dr. Robert Sapolsky's lecture about Biological Underpinnings of Religiosity 

Types of Schizophrenia - A day in the life of (Scary) 

Schizophrenia Lecture Dr. Robert Sapolsky

Dr.  Michael Shermer: The Believing Brain 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YqAwfv3HYGo

Dr. Robert Sapolsky: Are Humans Just Another Primate? 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YWZAL64E0DI

Psychology Crash Course playlist:

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8dPuuaLjXtOPRKzVLY0jJY-uHOH9KVU6

Dr. Robert Sapolsky Lectures playlist:

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD7E21BF91F3F9683

• Like 5

I posted most of these vids before but now they have it's own spot. :)

• Like 2

I love Neill deGrasse Tyson, and I totally get what hes saying, although If I'm not mistaken Albert Einstein got to the point in science where he saw the simplicity and beauty of the universe and figured it had to be created by a God. Nice videos man. Ill have to watch more of them later thanks for posting them :tu:

• Like 1

Thanks for the interest guys and enjoy the vids.

Here's one more I remembered later on that kinda fits the theme.

The Science of Lying

Here's one more not related just for fun.

Assume

Btw there's so much debate over Einstein's Theistic beliefs.I just consider him as an Agnostic that was in awe of the Universe.

• Like 2

Thanks for the vids.

• Like 1

Thanks for the vids.

Your welcome.All I ask is enjoy, share, and hit the like button.

• 4 months later...

Cognitive Biases 101, with Peter Baumann 

Critical Thinking, the Confirmation Bias, and You! (A classic from the early Web)

Cognitive Dissonance 

Magical Thinking: Matthew Hutson 

Fox Experiments

The selfish gene behind altruism 

Paul Zak: Trust, morality - and oxytocin 

Qualia Soup:

Superstition

Critical Thinking

Putting faith in its place 

• Like 1

Thanks so much for these, Davros. I love vids like these, as psychology is a hobby of mine. A thousand internets in kudos to you. =)

• Like 2

Thanks so much for these, Davros. I love vids like these, as psychology is a hobby of mine. A thousand internets in kudos to you. =)

You're very much welcome.

davros ! of Skaro ! 50million things to view and all must be at least what 2 hr's each maybe...I'm taking my time...Davros do you believe in you know something that is but we don't know how or why just that it always was..

be nice to me about it please.

I chose two at random; one seemed good, I would come back and watch it all properly (as I too am interested in the psychological aspects of this)

The 2nd was pretty bad and pathetic ... that Randi dude I think his name is; the match box trick : ... oh come on now !

Ooooo ... these big knob scientists contact me and say 'hand over the prize, we found a magic guy' ... then he goes on about the match box and sneers at how the scientists examined the match box; with lasers and micrometers and ( bs bs - whatever it was ) and then magic guy does this.

and Randi does the most stupid trick.

Whats the point ?

Scientists are really stupid dolts that cant even observe a simple parlor trick and they get all confused about using their high tech equipment ... or something ?

Oh Randi ! Randi !

208695d1368281771-fc-2000-porous-ceramic-wick-smiley_emoticons_kinggrin_anbeten2.gif

davros ! of Skaro ! 50million things to view and all must be at least what 2 hr's each maybe...I'm taking my time...Davros do you believe in you know something that is but we don't know how or why just that it always was..

be nice to me about it please.

Just weed out the known to get closer to the unknown.

I chose two at random; one seemed good, I would come back and watch it all properly (as I too am interested in the psychological aspects of this)

The 2nd was pretty bad and pathetic ... that Randi dude I think his name is; the match box trick : ... oh come on now !

Ooooo ... these big knob scientists contact me and say 'hand over the prize, we found a magic guy' ... then he goes on about the match box and sneers at how the scientists examined the match box; with lasers and micrometers and ( bs bs - whatever it was ) and then magic guy does this.

and Randi does the most stupid trick.

Whats the point ?

Scientists are really stupid dolts that cant even observe a simple parlor trick and they get all confused about using their high tech equipment ... or something ?

Oh Randi ! Randi !

208695d1368281771-fc-2000-porous-ceramic-wick-smiley_emoticons_kinggrin_anbeten2.gif

Randi rocks.

• Like 1

Poor stupid believers. Ill educated, weak minded fools. No courage and no spine. Yet they are so convinced that they are right some of them will allow themselves to be killed rather than deny their beliefs... hmmm...

Poor stupid believers. Ill educated, weak minded fools. No courage and no spine. Yet they are so convinced that they are right some of them will allow themselves to be killed rather than deny their beliefs... hmmm...

The Heaven's Gate believers take the Championship.

The Heaven's Gate believers take the Championship.

I was thinking of those who actually were burned alive or fed to animals for the Romans. Disrespecting that kind of courage as insanity - especially when it does you no real harm should cause you to think if your mind is still open enough not to fear doing so. Not believing is everyone's right and I support it fully. Ridiculing those who do is simply petty and base. You can be so proud, eh?
  • Like 1

Irrational beliefs and experiences explained through Science.

Neil deGrasse Tyson on religious people

Dopamine Jackpot! Sapolsky on the Science of Pleasure

The Chemistry of Addiction

Why am I hallucinating?

James Randi: Scientists Fooled by a Match Box Trick

Michael Shermer: The pattern behind self-deception

OCD & Anxiety Disorders

Dr. Robert Sapolsky's lecture about Biological Underpinnings of Religiosity

Types of Schizophrenia - A day in the life of (Scary)

Schizophrenia Lecture Dr. Robert Sapolsky

Dr. Michael Shermer: The Believing Brain

Dr. Robert Sapolsky: Are Humans Just Another Primate?

Psychology Crash Course playlist:

Dr. Robert Sapolsky Lectures playlist:

Howabout the irrational belief that science has the answers, that only science has the answers?

• Like 1

Just weed out the known to get closer to the unknown.

Randi rocks.

Ohhh I see ! ... That's the point .

Hello Davros

that song was on my mind it has nothing to do with you or your beliefs here but it has everything to do with people. And being that this is about people and their beliefs I had something on my mind but couldn't find a thread to share it at. It's totally about irrationality and people.

Edited by Ellapennella

I was thinking of those who actually were burned alive or fed to animals for the Romans. Disrespecting that kind of courage as insanity - especially when it does you no real harm should cause you to think if your mind is still open enough not to fear doing so. Not believing is everyone's right and I support it fully. Ridiculing those who do is simply petty and base. You can be so proud, eh?

In time frame 1:08-1:13 in this lecture.

This video "Bible Prophecies For DUMMIES".

In post #8 "Critical Thinking, the Confirmation Bias, and You! (A classic from the early Web)"

Puts big gaping holes in your belief.

Not to mention that belief alone does not make things true and this alone is seen as a virtue in most Religions.This serves a purpose you will not look into just like the Videos you will not look at.

Howabout the irrational belief that science has the answers, that only science has the answers?

Move over Superstition.

Hello Davros

that song was on my mind it has nothing to do with you or your beliefs here but it has everything to do with people. And being that this is about people and their beliefs I had something on my mind but couldn't find a thread to share it at. It's totally about irrationality and people.

I find Songs can be just about anything one wants them to be.

• Like 2

Move over Superstition.

HOw about intuition? There is science in that too, but it is ignored, discredited. Meanwhile, the science community is literally riddled with corruption and purchased results, the publication of false data and all other ways science can be skewed.

Since science is such a grand "unfinished" buusiness by it's very nature, one certainly cannot say that science has all the answers. Those who believe only in science have a belief that is indeed irrational.

Just breathed in helium with my son. It may effect my voice but I don't think it effects my thinking. It certainly effects my typing LOL.

About irrationality. I think it is time to cast off the negative connotation of the irrational. Irrational isn't a bad thing. I think that some "guided"or seeded connotation of the irrational may be the bad thing. As this world changes is such an incredibly rapid manner, we are going to have to rethink a lot of stuff so the truth can come out. By this, I mean, we are going to have to rethink the laws of thermodynamics because some of them have proved to be very flexible laws or some inaccurate.

I don't want the world to stay the same. I want the world to improve.

I don't want science to stay the same. I want beloved science to improve.

Edited by regeneratia
  • Like 1