Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

There is no God

taniwha

The physicist Stephen Hawking explains that science now offers more convincing explanations for existence, he has now come out and declared that there is no God.

"What I meant by 'we would know the mind of God' is, we would know everything that God would know, if there were a God. Which there isn't. I'm an atheist."

http://www.cnet.com/news/stephen-hawking-makes-it-clear-there-is-no-god/

• Like 1

With respect and awe of Stephen Hawking's intellect - I disagree, there is a God! Not much more to say, really.

• Like 5

Huh. Well, to each their own I guess.

I'm somewhat surprised that a person of his statue would be so blatant as to declare there is no God.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 2

Huh. Well, to each their own I guess.

I'm somewhat surprised that a person of his statue would be so blatant as to declare there is no God.

Why not? It's a perfectly-respectable position and consistent with known facts.

Doug

• Like 3

You know, I do believe he may have compelling reasons to not believe. I think that it's a possibility, that there might not be. I know, I have seen reasons to not be orthodoxed Christian or the like. I may believe in Jesus, and in God, or Goddess, or the like, because I think I have seen things, my own evidence to believe so. I feel I also have seen in my eyes, my own proof to feel differently than he. I think he has his reasons and he has his observance. I have mine. I agree with Pallidin, to each their own.

• Like 3

Huh?

"You cannot understand the mind of God!" say the Theists having a Field Day.

Further thoughts from Hawkins

“When people ask me if a god created the universe, I tell them that the question itself makes no sense. Time didn’t exist before the big bang, so there is no time for god to make the universe in. It’s like asking directions to the edge of the earth; The Earth is a sphere; it doesn’t have an edge; so looking for it is a futile exercise. We are each free to believe what we want, and it’s my view that the simplest explanation is; there is no god. No one created our universe,and no one directs our fate. This leads me to a profound realization; There is probably no heaven, and no afterlife either. We have this one life to appreciate the grand design of the universe, and for that I am extremely grateful.”

Stephen Hawking

fullywired

moral of this story is "get some laughing done ,your a long time dead"

Edited by fullywired
  • Like 6

“When people ask me if a god created the universe, I tell them that the question itself makes no sense. Time didn’t exist before the big bang, so there is no time for god to make the universe in. It’s like asking directions to the edge of the earth; The Earth is a sphere; it doesn’t have an edge; so looking for it is a futile exercise. We are each free to believe what we want, and it’s my view that the simplest explanation is; there is no god. No one created our universe,and no one directs our fate. This leads me to a profound realization; There is probably no heaven, and no afterlife either. We have this one life to appreciate the grand design of the universe, and for that I am extremely grateful.”

Stephen Hawking

fullywired

He looks to be devoid of Christian Apologetics.

He's in Atheist Nirvana..

He's must be right because no God capable of creating the Universe and everything in it including Life would possibly be smart enough to hide evidence of it's existence so perfectly, .

• Like 1

Hawking had better watch the zebra crossings, if he's going to make claims like that.

• Like 1

Although I respect Stephen Hawking view on God, surely there must be some kind of super intelligence behind all of this we see around us. Which leads me to think we do not cease to exist after we die, otherwise there doesn't seem to be any purpose to it all. If you could extract yourself from within this circle of life we are in, and look into it from the outside, you will realise that eveything that happens has a purpose, which is a result of cause and effect. Everything we do on a daily basis revolves around problems and solutions, and I think from that we learn, which is our purpose in life. Once we have leant what we need to in this life, we die and move on to the next learning experience in another life, and so on and so on. But if everything as complex as this existence is is a result of something without reason, then it has no real reason to exist in the first place. :cry:

Edited by Oxo1
  • Like 1

Looking around, I have not noticed any explicit purpose for the universe. 'Purpose' is an idea or concept created by the human mind, and I don't consider it having any relationship to the universe at large or to the lives of human beings.

I don't think there is any God in the religious sense, and I'm 95% self-convinced there is no intelligence underlying Existence. The 5% in my mind is there because the probability for Existence itslef is so unlikely, the fact that Existence exists at all is a great mystery to my mind.

When I think about how it was before I was born, that seems much more likely than this life of mine occurring.

• Like 2

Although I respect Stephen Hawking view on God, surely there must be some kind of super intelligence behind all of this we see around us. Which leads me to think we do not cease to exist after we die, otherwise there doesn't seem to be any purpose to it all. If you could extract yourself from within this circle of life we are in, and look into it from the outside, you will realise that eveything that happens has a purpose, which is a result of cause and effect. Everything we do on a daily basis revolves around problems and solutions, and I think from that we learn, which is our purpose in life. Once we have leant what we need to in this life, we die and move on to the next learning experience in another life, and so on and so on. But if everything as complex as this existence is is a result of something without reason, then it has no real reason to exist in the first place. :cry:

There're parasites that want to feed on you at the detriment to your health and possible later death.

Stephen Hawking

fullywired

moral of this story is "get some laughing done ,your a long time dead"

That answer might suit a stupid western modern Christian or other type of religion ... but it certainly is embarrassing for (Hawking) as it reveals his lack of knowledge of deep mystical religious thought on the very issues he outlines.

One could compare Kabbalistic writings on Tzim-tzum doctrine with this (from your average 'Joe' ;

You asked if I believed in God :

" Tell you what! I'll trot round to my masseuse, and put it up to her. She is a simple country soul, by no means over-educated, but intelligent; capable of a firm grasp of the principles of her job; a steady church-goer on what she considers worthwhile occasions; dislikes the rector, but praises his policy of keeping his discourse within bounds. She has done quite a lot of thinking for herself; distrusts and despises the Press and the Radio, has no use for ready-made opinions. She shares with the flock their normal prejudices and phobias, but is not bigoted about them, and follows readily enough a line of simply-expressed destructive criticism when it is put to her. This is, however, only a temporary reaction; a day later she would repeat the previous inanities as if they had never been demolished. In the late fifties, at a guess. I sprang your question on her out of the blue, à la "doodle-bug;" premising merely that I had been asked the question, and was puzzled as to how to answer it. Her reply was curious and surprising: without a moment's hesitation and with great enthusiasm, "Quickly, yes!" The spontaneous reservation struck me as extremely interesting. I said: of course, but suppose you think it over—and out—a bit, what am I to understand? She began glibly "He's a great big—" and broke off, looking foolish. Then, although omnipotent, He needed our help—we were all just as powerful as He, for we were little bits of each other—but exactly how, or to what end, she did not make clear. An exclamation: "Then there is the Devil!"

She went on without a word from me for a long while, tying herself up into fresh knots with every phase. She became irreverent, then downright blasphemous; stopped short and began to laugh at herself. And so forth—but, what struck me as curious and significant, in the main her argument followed quite closely the lines which came naturally to me, at the beginning of this letter!

In the end, "curiouser and curiouser," she arrived at a practically identical conclusion: she believed, but what she believed in was Nothing! "

See Source for further reading - http://hermetic.com/crowley/magick-without-tears/mwt_30.html

Edited by Paranoid Android

Do you believe that the Wind exist? After all, you can't see it.

• Like 1

People who say there is no god simply have not met "him".

Do you believe that the Wind exist? After all, you can't see it.

I can measure it's effects but a belief in God takes a leap of faith and dismissal of facts.

• Like 3

I can measure it's effects but a belief in God takes a leap of faith and dismissal of facts.

I guess it's god turning that wind farm up the road.

Doug

• Like 1

The point I was making is that you can't see it but you can feel it. Or look at the trees and see it moving the leaves.

Just as one feels God in their heart

The point I was making is that you can't see it but you can feel it. Or look at the trees and see it moving the leaves.

Just as one feels God in their heart

Yes dismissal of facts.There are biological procesesses that people refuse to understand so they can give it meaning from ancient myths.

Just like these ppeople do;

• Like 2

Hey Tough guy believers, you claim to believe in something that is clearly unproven. You need this crutch passed on from your family before you and everyone you choose to socialize with. Put the book down for a second and listen to the other beliefs in this universe and educate yourselves. I ask this question, has Steven Hawking lived a very different life compared to yours? I will bet yes, he see's things that we do not on a daily basis. I was always taught to never judge a person until you walk a mile in his shoes. Some of you should try that before making such bold religious statements.

• Like 1

Hey Tough guy believers, you claim to believe in something that is clearly unproven. You need this crutch passed on from your family before you and everyone you choose to socialize with. Put the book down for a second and listen to the other beliefs in this universe and educate yourselves. I ask this question, has Steven Hawking lived a very different life compared to yours? I will bet yes, he see's things that we do not on a daily basis. I was always taught to never judge a person until you walk a mile in his shoes. Some of you should try that before making such bold religious statements.

"God" can not be proven or disproven. Just the way it is.

• Like 1

"God" can not be proven or disproven. Just the way it is.

I half disagree. The existence of God can't be disproved - I agree with that bit.

But if God is the type that many believe in - one that takes a personal interest in everyone, answers prayers, performs miracles,etc.... Then it's likely that these effects can be measured and presented as evidence for his existence.

Creationists generally believe that this is the case - although they're wrong.