Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

First ever baby born through womb transplant

Still Waters

The doctors who delivered the first ever womb transplant baby describe the proceedure and the impact it could have for thousands of women.

http://www.telegraph...transplant.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/11140527/Womb-transplant-first-picture-of-baby-born-after-pioneering-operation.html

Edited by Still Waters
  • Like 3

This could help save a lot of lives in future :)

How exactly?

I didn't get that part from the articles linked.

It can help create brand new lives, not save already existing ones.

Instead I think it could put more lives at risk: what will become of all those orfans that could've been adopted by these couples, now that they don't need them anymore?

That is outstanding!

I know that both men and women can have significant biological fertility issues.

Good for them... better than a "test tube baby"

That is outstanding!

I know that both men and women can have significant biological fertility issues.

Good for them... better than a "test tube baby"

In this specific cas it's not a matter of fertility, it's a lack of a body part (the womb).

I don't know what you mean with a "test tube baby", but I think this is one. From the article "After one year, when doctors were confident the womb was working well, they transferred a single embryo created in a lab dish using the woman's eggs and her husband's sperm."

So the baby wasn't conceived the "old fashioned way".

Would this child be genetically different then the mother or the same as the womb donor?

Would this child be genetically different then the mother or the same as the womb donor?

As I pasted in my last post, from the article: "[...] they transferred a single embryo created in a lab dish using the woman's eggs and her husband's sperm".

So from this point of view he is no different than a normal boy conceived in vitro.

In this specific cas it's not a matter of fertility, it's a lack of a body part (the womb).

I am sure most of us would consider a lack of a uterus as being infertile. It fits the dictionary definition of 'being unable to reproduce' quite well.

Some of the causes of female infertility are classed as structural problems and malformations, surely this would have fallen into that category?

Interesting idea about the orphans even though the article states this procedure is a very long way from being routine. I think adoption is a more practical 'solution' to infertility but (even though I do not think helping people conceive who may pass down a genetic infertility trait makes sense) giving birth to your own child just cannot be substituted and will always be the preferred option for any couple given the chance.

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 1

I agree with you Junior Chubb, giving birth to your own child is another thing and a couple will always (or almost) prefer that way if possible.

And agree that practically speaking she was infertile, but, as far as we can read from the article, "The Swedish woman had healthy ovaries, but she was born without a uterus", so I think technically she wasn't infertile, since she could get pregnant, only the foetus wouldn't know where to go after that.

Oh well, semantics!

• Like 1

This is amazing, but it raises questions! How long before we are grown children in artificial wombs so we can keep our figures!

Speak to yourself, I was back in a size 8 a week after having my triplets... :yes:

Whoops wrong forum :blush:

• Like 1

Speak to yourself, I was back in a size 8 a week after having my triplets... :yes:

Whoops wrong forum :blush:

Haha . It's true though, my sister has 3 children and just recently had the 3rd and her body is shot to pieces, stretch marks, incontinence, prolapse, sagging breasts, sagging bum, and her vagina now resembles a pile of course ground raw mince!

So I'm sure given the option, a lot of women may opt for an external pregnancy when the option arises

• Like 1

her vagina now resembles a pile of course ground raw mince!

Never thought I would be quoting something like this on UM :blink:

• Like 1

Pregnancy takes its toll boys

So does fertilising...

So does fertilising...

Two pumps and a squirt hardly defines "takes its toll"

Men have no idea what women endure! We put up with constant sexual frustration! And then with instantaneous snoring!

• Like 1

Two pumps and a squirt hardly defines "takes its toll"

:clap:

Men have no idea what women endure! We put up with constant sexual frustration! And then with instantaneous snoring!

So your the one who put the CCTV camera in my room... :blush:

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 1