Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Missing woman survives 17 days in the bush

Still Waters

MIRACLE mum Shannon Fraser - lost for 17 days in wild jungle - has stumbled out of the forest naked, covered in cuts, welts, bruises, and bites, and 16kg lighter in an incredible tale of survival.

http://www.courierma...t=1412732380747

• Like 1

I was thinking she had been watching Naked and Afraid. What happened to her clothes?

Edited by Didya See That

One lucky woman. She must have totally freaked out that cassowary.

If anyone has got the balls to survive 17 days in the bush its the type of woman who proposes to her man instead of waiting for him to propose...

Someone who takes the bull by the horns ;)

• Like 1

Well, some people are actually paying big bucks for this!

Wow! So glad her kids got their mum back!

"and survived on fresh water alone because she had been warned against eating wild berries."

Why not eat wild berries in Australia? We (U.S.) have wild blueberries and blackberries etc, here that many*** of us can identify and have eaten wild in the woods since we were kids. I know they're what I'd eat here if lost, if available.

I realize there are poisonous berries everywhere, but does the Aussie jungle not have a lot of easy to identify/known edible ones too? Or is that just a general rule/warning for someone who is completely unsure of what is (and is not) an edible berry?

*** can't really say "many" of us can, and don't know how much time kids spend in the woods anymore

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 1

Well, some people are actually paying big bucks for this!

Yup, I bumped into a bloke the other day running a trip to scale Mera Peak. I was shocked at the price, he then said they do cheaper 'Bear Grylls style' survival trips to remote islands. Sounds great fun, but the reality is a lot tougher than I could ever imagine.

• Like 1

she said she could have got scared but instead she grew a beard instantly in 5 seconds ripped off her clothes put on a flannel shirt and a pair of overalls and embraced her inner mountain to survive and the land she's been befriended a giant panther with that Panther by her side she took over the forest then proceeded to slap Mother Nature in the face and then conquered the labyrinth trees and various vegetation she had laid before her

• Like 1

Got drunk and wandered off into the trees. If she'd stayed put they would have found her pretty quick I'm guessing. It seems they knew where to start looking.

Like all of you, I'm glad she's OK. I just wonder where her kids were when she and "Her de facto partner Heath Cassady," were out on their "bender".

Sadly, they found her wondering only 10 feet frim her camp, walking around in a circle.

Edited by Jyre Cayce

I question whether she may have just been hiding on purpose. Lots of stuff leads me to question the validity of the story.

Why was she naked?

She was on a reality show before this. A biggest loser type. Maybe she figured she'd lose weight if she followed the Naked and Afraid model. They usually lose 25-40 lbs in 21 days.

She managed to avoid the search parties.

I also wondered what the boyfriend went through. I'm sure he was a main suspect. I would think that her family and him had the relationship strained quite a bit.

• Like 1

Survival show host or participants know they can tap out at any time or rescue is a simple push of the button. There is something primal that happens to people when it's a real do or die situation. Some loose the will to fight but most find a power inside that takes over, enabling them to do whatever it takes to stay alive.

Edited by maximusnow

She was there? I would return and enlist some of the survivors from "Survivor" to build me a home. Oh, forgot. They are not very good at surviving. Sorry for being redundant. One of my major faults.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone has got the balls to survive 17 days in the bush its the type of woman who proposes to her man instead of waiting for him to propose...

Someone who takes the bull by the horns ;)

Then kicks said bull, in the testes!

i can't understand this.. what was she doing out of the kichen? to be clear before a witch hunt for my head starts, just kidding

I actually laughed a little.

• Like 1