Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Your Top Ten Albums

No Censorship

Deep Purple: In Rock

Black Sabbath: Paranoid

UFO: Lights Out

Rainbow: Rising

GNR: Use Your Illusion 2

Manowar: Battle Hymns

Judas Priest: Screaming For Vengeance

Savatage: Gutter Balet

Iron Maiden: Number of the Beast

Uriah Heep: Demons and Wizards

• Like 5

I love the roots of metal. Might be my favorite music ever. But I also love hard rock and metal through the early 90s.

It is really hard to pick 10 so I tried to do it as quick as possible. I could spend hours determining what should make the list.

The list is also subject to change by the day.

Also depends of if I'm drinking or not. I get pretty passionate about it when I'm drinking.

• Like 2

I love the roots of metal. Might be my favorite music ever. But I also love hard rock and metal through the early 90s.

It is really hard to pick 10 so I tried to do it as quick as possible. I could spend hours determining what should make the list.

Also depends of if I'm drinking or not. I get pretty passionate about it when I'm drinking.

You could make so many variations with varied genres (or sub-ones). You could make ten lists based on variations of heavy metal. The sky's the limit with genres, but there really aren't many hard and fast rules to divide some of them, like the separation of album rock from classic rock, which are pretty much the same thing.

it'd be interesting to do a count of which albums show up multiple times, and how often, after enough people resond to this.

• Like 2

i think led zep is in the pole for now.... ;)

• Like 2

VARIOUS - Electro Radiovengeance

JERI SOUTHERN - You Better Go Now / When Your Heart's On Fire (double album)

VARIOUS ‎– Easy Rock (Razor & Tie, 2001, 2CD)

ULTRAVOX - Rage in Eden (Remastered Definitive Edition)

JUNE CHRISTY - The Intimate Miss Christy

VISAGE - Anvil

HENRY PURCELL - Essential Purcell

THE JAM - Setting Sons Deluxe Edition (2CD)

MI-SEX ‎– '79-'85

J.S. BACH - Goldberg Variations

Edited by No-thingBornPassion
  • Like 1

ahw maaaan... i thought the playlist in your signature was for the list you posted. I found that to be a very good idea, for the people that don't know the music we put on our top ten lists.... ;)

EDIT: anyway....for whoever cares enough, here's mine:

Edited by Jacques Terreur
  • Like 1

it'd be interesting to do a count of which albums show up multiple times, and how often, after enough people resond to this.

That's a great idea. I bet that my pedestrian list (compared to you sophisticates) would show up all over the place in off-board critic and fan lists. My guess is that classic rock albums would rank high, even in lists from Millennials. The 1970s selections still are extremely popular, and they stand the test of time.

i think led zep is in the pole for now.... ;)

That's really going out on a limb. ;) That obscure dated band, Pink Floyd, might show up somewhere too.

• Like 3

ULTRAVOX

THE JAM - Setting Sons

That's my token album by the Jam. I love Ultravox too. They're a bit more creative and musical than the average synth pop group. Some of their songs ("Kingdom Come"?) have a religious/spiritual feel to them.

I love Ultravox too.

i just like their old stuff..... ;)

• Like 1

i just like their old stuff..... ;)

[media=]

[/media]

Do you think of Depeche Mode as one of the new bands? :santa: You don't have to answer that. ;)

Do you think of Depeche Mode as one of the new bands? :santa: You don't have to answer that. ;)

Well, I don't really care too much about synth pop bands generally. Depeche Mode however, i find particularly despicable, for a couple of reasons. But you pointed out to the biggest one already: I do think of them as "one of the new bands" in a sense that i percieve them as a rippy-offy, cleaned up version of Fad Gadget.

Anyway, when it comes to 80's synth music, my heart belongs to DAF ;)

• Like 1

ok here is a list.

this is not a "best" list. it is my top ten at this moment. that does not mean they are all "good".

i went for a mix of old and new, and things people hadn't mentioned too much.

1. john coltrane - giant steps: i already explained this!

2. sun ra - space is the place: there is always something new to discover with an album like this.

3. sharon jones and the dap kings - i learned the hard way: listen to her voice. that's all you need to know.

4. dessa - a badly broken code: i love this album, and i love that she is from minneapolis.

5. nina nastasia - run to ruin: almost a perfect album.

6. paul robeson - anything, really. that voice.

7. iris dement - my life: i've owned this album for nearly twenty years, and i'm not tired of it yet. that's a good sign, i think.

8. tom waits - mule variations: i'm done explaining things to you. i'm done

9. bach - whatever has jesu, joy of man's desiring on it. i was in band in high school, and i loved playing that song.

10. komar and melamid - the most unwanted song: i said i was done explaining.

• Like 1

Well, I don't really care too much about synth pop bands generally. Depeche Mode however, i find particularly despicable, for a couple of reasons. But you pointed out to the biggest one already: I do think of them as "one of the new bands" in a sense that i percieve them as a rippy-offy, cleaned up version of Fad Gadget.

Anyway, when it comes to 80's synth music, my heart belongs to DAF ;)

I will forgive you for the unspeakable insult against one of the best groups to ever grace the airwaves. I'm so glad that my dad (ahem) gave his Depeche Mode CDs to me, a member of a new generation of fans. :whistle:

• Like 1

ok here is a list.

this is not a "best" list. it is my top ten at this moment. that does not mean they are all "good".

i went for a mix of old and new, and things people hadn't mentioned too much.

1. john coltrane - giant steps: i already explained this!

2. sun ra - space is the place: there is always something new to discover with an album like this.

3. sharon jones and the dap kings - i learned the hard way: listen to her voice. that's all you need to know.

4. dessa - a badly broken code: i love this album, and i love that she is from minneapolis.

5. nina nastasia - run to ruin: almost a perfect album.

6. paul robeson - anything, really. that voice.

7. iris dement - my life: i've owned this album for nearly twenty years, and i'm not tired of it yet. that's a good sign, i think.

8. tom waits - mule variations: i'm done explaining things to you. i'm done

9. bach - whatever has jesu, joy of man's desiring on it. i was in band in high school, and i loved playing that song.

10. komar and melamid - the most unwanted song: i said i was done explaining.

Not all of them are good? Well, that kinda' defeats the whole purpose of a top-ten list, doesn't it, young missy? ;) Yet another list makes me feel like a middlebrow midwestern pleb with no musical sophistication. I'm starting to feel like the unseen friend of Wayne and Garth.

• Like 1

Supplemental list

Pink Floyd-Wish You Were Here.

Bad Co.-Bad Co.

Aerosmith-Rocks,Toys In The Attic, Get A Grip.

LZ-Physical Grafitti.

The James Gang, (self-titled)

The Rolling Stones-Beggars Banquette

Black Sabbath, Paranoid

Deep Purple, Machinehead

Edited by scorpiosonic
  • Like 2

I love the roots of metal. Might be my favorite music ever. *SNIP*

We're 'in tune' on this. :whistle:

Classical: Air on a G string, D Minor Fuge, (and many others) Bach

Vivaldi, 4 seasons, etc.

Grieg, Anitra's Dance, etc.

Fur Elise, Beethoven................

Edited by scorpiosonic
  • Like 1

Not all of them are good? Well, that kinda' defeats the whole purpose of a top-ten list, doesn't it, young missy? ;)

they're a top ten of mine, that's for certain. but i'm willing to admit that i love some things that other people might not. and perhaps for good reason.

one thing that i realized as i was writing that list is that i don't listen to much rock, at all.

Hard to do but I got..

Marilyn Manson : Antichrist Svperstar

NIN : The Fragile

Steve Vai : Passion and Warfare

Black Sabbath : Sabotage

Iron Maiden : Powerslave

Deep Purple : Fireball

Dio : Master of the Moon

Sepultura : Chaos A.D

The Who : Then and Now

David Bowie : Platinum Collection

*a couple of best of albums at the end of that list but anyway.

And I picked these because they are probably some of my most listened to over time. Especially the top four.

• Like 4

Supplemental list

Pink Floyd-Wish You Were Here.

Bad Co.-Bad Co.

Aerosmith-Rocks,Toys In The Attic, Get A Grip.

LZ-Physical Grafitti.

The James Gang, (self-titled)

The Rolling Stones-Beggars Banquette

Black Sabbath, Paranoid

Deep Purple, Machinehead

Cheater! There are *no* supplementary lists in this thread. Good day, sir. Seriously, I could list a hundred or more choices.

• Like 1

they're a top ten of mine, that's for certain. but i'm willing to admit that i love some things that other people might not. and perhaps for good reason.

one thing that i realized as i was writing that list is that i don't listen to much rock, at all.

It's all subjective when it comes right down to it. We might as well make lists of our ten favorite meals.

I like rock (alternative and mainstream) more than other genres, but I can appreciate other kinds of music. I can't think of any type that I hate.

Hard to do but I got..

Marilyn Manson : Antichrist Svperstar

NIN : The Fragile

Steve Vai : Passion and Warfare

Black Sabbath : Sabotage

Iron Maiden : Powerslave

Deep Purple : Fireball

Dio : Master of the Moon

Sepultura : Chaos A.D

The Who : Then and Now

David Bowie : Platinum Collection

*a couple of best of albums at the end of that list but anyway.

And I picked these because they are probably some of my most listened to over time. Especially the top four.

You get a pass for the compilations *this* time, but I'll complain to the moderators if you *ever* dare to include greatest hits again. Please don't take me seriously as I'm in a weird mood tonight (I'm not even drunk).

Bad Co.-Bad Co.

Aerosmith-Toys In The Attic

Black Sabbath, Paranoid

Deep Purple, Machinehead

Those four choices almost are like "greatest hits" albums, themselves. They're almost like a classic rock Mount Rushmore. You need Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd for that, though. "Born To Run" is another selection that sounds like a "best of" collection. "Night Moves" is too. I guess that more albums and more artists got more airplay back in the heyday of classic rock. It's hard for new acts to get the same kind of exposure on the radio now. Careers aren't as long as they were in the past.

• Like 1

Ronnie James is awesome. B) ...Holy Diver-a great CD.....Shame On The Night, and title track are some of my favorite songs.

My NIN is The Downward Spiral

• Like 3