Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Your Top Ten Albums

No Censorship

Cheater! There are *no* supplementary lists in this thread. Good day, sir. Seriously, I could list a hundred or more choices.

Me too, easily...maybe change to top 100?!? :unsure2:

• Like 4

Let's do a Big Band Top Ten first ~

Benny Goodman ~

~

~

• Like 2

Me too, easily...maybe change to top 100?!? :unsure2:

Don't give me any ideas. Now, let's talk about desert island movies. ;)

Let's do a Big Band Top Ten first

Top Of My Head:

Jimmy Dorsey

Tommy Dorsey

Gene Krupa

Glenn Miller

Harry James

Artie Shaw

Charlie Barnett

Benny Goodman

Les Brown

Guy Lombardo

Stop me before I list again!

• Like 2

not exactly my style.....so i guess i'd be stuck on that Island with my "SINATRA-live at the Sands" Album. This is Count Basie. Count Basie ROCKS!

• Like 2

see, now people talking about big bands makes me feel pretty clueless.

and that's exciting, because it means i've got all sorts of music to try out, music that's new to me.

• Like 2

not exactly my style.....so i guess i'd be stuck on that Island with my "SINATRA-live at the Sands" Album. This is Count Basie. Count Basie ROCKS!

Some of the Black bands of that era were like mixtures of big band and straight jazz. That's why Duke Ellington was not included on my list. Count Basie, as well as Earl Hynes, also came to mind. I could have thrown in King Oliver and could have made a list of musical "royalty".

• Like 2

see, now people talking about big bands makes me feel pretty clueless.

and that's exciting, because it means i've got all sorts of music to try out, music that's new to me.

I prefer Texas swing. Bob Wills is the king of that particular genre, and there are some current artists that are really fun.

I'll just throw 5 random Beatles albums on my list first.

I'm going to include a live album - The Scorpions World Wide Live

Bob Seger -Night Moves

The Who - Who's Next

Buddy Holly - Buddy Holly

Eric Clapton - Journeyman (almost went with Riding With The King so that I could get some BB King as well).

• Like 1

Detective Mystery 2014: Guy Lombardo? Sorry, I just had to comment on that. Great choices, though! I can't make up my mind on 10 albums, there's so much good music from the past, but I'm working on it. I'm thinking of some difficult to understand music, like John Cage or something.

• Like 3

Detective Mystery 2014: Guy Lombardo? Sorry, I just had to comment on that. Great choices, though! I can't make up my mind on 10 albums, there's so much good music from the past, but I'm working on it. I'm thinking of some difficult to understand music, like John Cage or something.

if you like difficult to understand, i recommend to you mr. bungle and karlheinz stockhausen :tu:

if you like difficult to understand, i recommend to you mr. bungle and karlheinz stockhausen :tu:

Yes, thanks for the suggestion. I'm familiar with Stockhausen, Schoenberg and a lot of that genre of music. It's interesting to listen to music that isn't the same old thing over and over again (I'm 70 years old, so I've listened to a lot of the same old thing!). :)

• Like 2

Detective Mystery 2014: Guy Lombardo? Sorry, I just had to comment on that.

I was desperate when I reached ninth place. :blush: That said, he was a New Years Eve institution for years.

• Like 2

I was desperate when I reached ninth place. :blush: That said, he was a New Years Eve institution for years.

Disregard that last bit. I just learned that you're one of the very few people, on here, who are older than Jaques. ;)

• Like 3

Someone should bring back the Big Band stuff ~ there should be enough musicians today to hold a 30 piece Orchestra together giving new life to the Classic Swing Material ~

• Like 2

Someone should bring back the Big Band stuff ~ there should be enough musicians today to hold a 30 piece Orchestra together giving new life to the Classic Swing Material ~

There was a swing revival for a short while. I think that it peaked in the mid to late '90s. Cherry Poppin' Daddies and Squirrel Nut Zippers were two of the groups. The song, "Zoot Suit Riot", was played quite a bit.

• Like 1

The present seems to forget the past as far as popular music goes. Well, with the exception of Classic Rock, perhaps. I think CR remains relevant because there has been few good examples of this genre since.

I like to give a listen to all eras of music of the 20th century. Some of the old stuff sounds primitive, but music seens to evolve from prior efforts and becomes more sophisticated as time goes by.

Eras of musical taste seem to last about 10 years each. A Big Band leader wrote in the late 1930s his band went from making $300 a night to $3000 a night within a couple of months when Big Band music caught on. 10 years later, his band was playing for $300 a night again.

Kids don't want to listen to Dad's music.

• Like 2

Oh I would just love that. My parents had such wonderful vinyl from that time period. The Union Hotel in Flemmington Nj was trying to set up something like that. If fell through but I still have "The Last Convertible" playing in my mind. I am "In The Mood".
  • Like 3

I don't think any past era could make a meaningful or long lasting comeback. I'm not sure, but I don't think this has ever happened. If it were viable, it would have already happened before.

Also, I think music has played itself out. I don't see any new kind of music happening in the future. In a sense, it's all been done. I think this is true of all the arts. Only variations on old themes are possible.

There have been revolutions in music in the past, from jazz in the '20s, the big band era of the '40s, modern jazz and the singers of the '50's, rock and roll of the '60's and '70's. There has not been a revolutionary genra of music in any meaningful way in the past 35 years or so.

Maybe another Beethoven will show up sometime in the future, but barring that, I fear it's all been done. I have a feeling I will be disputed on this.

I don't think any past era could make a meaningful or long lasting comeback. I'm not sure, but I don't think this has ever happened. If it were viable, it would have already happened before.

Also, I think music has played itself out. I don't see any new kind of music happening in the future. In a sense, it's all been done. I think this is true of all the arts. Only variations on old themes are possible.

There have been revolutions in music in the past, from jazz in the '20s, the big band era of the '40s, modern jazz and the singers of the '50's, rock and roll of the '60's and '70's. There has not been a revolutionary genra of music in any meaningful way in the past 35 years or so.

Maybe another Beethoven will show up sometime in the future, but barring that, I fear it's all been done. I have a feeling I will be disputed on this.

It depends on how you look at it. There are a lot of variations on rock and urban. They're all younger than forty, so to speak. Grunge is one example. New Wave and synth pop come to mind too. Of course, they're variations on a theme. If we look at it that way, you're likely right about there being no original *genres*, as opposed to new variations. Someone, who knows more about electronica than I do, might offer more insight.

I wonder and worry about the demise of mainstream rock. It seems like it merged with alternative rock to a certain extent, and it did much better when the two camps were strictly separated. The new purely mainstream rock doesn't have the same vital outlets that the old stuff had. I hope that made sense. Classic rock was in the right place at the right time as far as society and technology were concerned. Many artists were great, but they had a support system of sorts. AOR radio was at its peak, so a lot of selections from a lot of releases were constantly played. The big classic rock hits didn't have to achieve success on the Billboard charts, and they didn't have to receive airplay on the Top Forty stations. The album rock format compensated for that, and songs, that didn't make the pop cut, are more well-known than scores of hit pop songs of the past. Look at the Floyd and Zep songs that are more familiar and popular now than are tons of tunes that topped the pop charts in the 1970s. A handful of classic rock acts' songs are ubiquitous in *2014*, and those very same acts couldn't even get close to the Solid Gold solar system during their era. Similar bands now will be *extremely* fortunate to have half of their "ancestors"' shelf lives.

• Like 2

Maybe comebacks aren't necessary. We all own what we want and my taste is eclectic. When I listen to my music I go back, and that is like a little journey to the center of my mind. Sort of a momentary great escape.
  • Like 3

I guess Brian is as close to the real thing these days :)

~

~

• Like 2

Appetite for destruction - GNR

Master of reality - Black Sabbath

Bark at the moon - Ozzy

Alternative 4 - Anathema

Deep purple - Perfect stranger

Dio - Holydiver

Master of puppets - Metallica

Kill em' all - Metallica

Long live rock n roll - Rainbow