Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Your Top Ten Albums

No Censorship

only if said lullaby is by tom waits.

sorry, i need an estimated 10 more years of drinking and smoking for that.... ;)

• Like 1

the first record i ever bought (in the sweet age of 13) was "never mind the b******s" by the sex pistols, and 70's/80's punk was the soundtrack to my teenagehood. When i was in my early twenties, a dutch friend of mine said to me one night "gah, that whole punk thing, that has all been done before, in the 60's!". Of course i called BS on him, but then he played "black Monk time" and i was blown out of my shoes. That opened the whole world of 60's garage stuff to me, so i'd say it's the Kingsmen AND the Ramones ;)

And as for the "too young for Mozart", you are right, this is just a matter of what Kind of Music you are used to. When my daughter was born, i exposed her to a lot of different music in an attempt to offer her a more wide spectrum compared to what i grew up with,

and by the age of three, she couldn't get enough of J.S. Bach... :) Her last year's favourite car sing-along was the Damned's "Disco man", though..... :D

The "Darned" (for the moderators) are in a class by themselves. I have eight CDs by them, two of which are great compilations ("LATEOTT"). In fact, I would give the compilation to anybody, who's not familiar with them, so that they could appreciate what kind of music and songs they can expect from them. It's hard to label them with just one just one genre. Their early stuff fits comfortably in the punk rock genre. Their third big release was a transitional CD, a bit like "Rubber Soul" in that regard. Their sound turned into a combination of goth and their own flavor. I'm not all that familiar with their brand new offerings, but some of the post "Anything" selections were not all that impressive, IMO.

• Like 1

The "Darned" (for the moderators) are in a class by themselves. I have eight CDs by them, two of which are great compilations ("LATEOTT"). In fact, I would give the compilation to anybody, who's not familiar with them, so that they could appreciate what kind of music and songs they can expect from them. It's hard to label them with just one just one genre.

hehehe, funny you should mention that. This band taught me the valuable lesson that it's better to do your own music and style

rather than trying to create music FOR a certain genre (PUNK Music, METAL Music or whatever genre you wanna serve).

Bands that you can't pin down on one label last longer and tend to be more creative because they are not obstructed by genre borders.

i actually did fall asleep

i KNOW! Do you think i "SSSSHHH!" People for nothing? ;)

• Like 3

hehehe, funny you should mention that. This band taught me the valuable lesson that it's better to do your own music and style

rather than trying to create music FOR a certain genre (PUNK Music, METAL Music or whatever genre you wanna serve).

Have you heard much of their post "Anything" stuff? I heard some songs here and there. Some of them appealed to me. Others sounded like stuff from their second release.

Have you heard much of their post "Anything" stuff? I heard some songs here and there. Some of them appealed to me. Others sounded like stuff from their second release.

i can't quite remember, tbh. I'll give them a go again over the Weekend! ;)

Rick Astley was the biggest sissy of all. Don't let his studio voice fool ya. I love cute sissies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i can't quite remember, tbh. I'll give them a go again over the Weekend! ;)

You Tube has a bunch of stuff. Evidently, the Damned released a few CDs over the years. Some of them are much better than others. The first releases lack harmony and melody. The later ones harken back to their gothic era. It's a weird progression. It's likely due to varied lineups over the years. I think that Vanian is the one connecting and remaining link.

• Like 1

I think that Vanian is the one connecting and remaining link.

Sure that! Ask the Captain something, and the only answer you'll get is "WOT?" :w00t:
  • Like 1

Sure that! Ask the Captain something, and the only answer you'll get is "WOT?" :w00t:

(zing!) What's your fav' CD by them? I'm guessing that it's not their second release.

• Like 1

(zing!) What's your fav' CD by them? I'm guessing that it's not their second release.

this'un, of course! :)

2002014.jpg

• Like 2

this'un, of course! :)

2002014.jpg

That put them on the Mount Rushmore of punk rock. "Phantasmagoria" is my fav' CD by them. It has a romantic vibe. It's almost like a gothic rock album by Byron or Shelley. It's different than the rest. By the way, two members of the Damned were on two American talk shows on Friday night. I caught them by accident. I almost never watch "The Tonight Show" or "Late Night". It was a really weird coincidence! Vanien played with the Roots, and Sensible played with "Late Night"'s house band. It blew my mind. You Tube or Daily Motion likely has clips of the shows.

• Like 1

That put them on the Mount Rushmore of punk rock. "Phantasmagoria" is my fav' CD by them. It has a romantic vibe. It's almost like a gothic rock album by Byron or Shelley. It's different than the rest. By the way, two members of the Damned were on two American talk shows on Friday night. I caught them by accident. I almost never watch "The Tonight Show" or "Late Night". It was a really weird coincidence! Vanien played with the Roots, and Sensible played with "Late Night"'s house band. It blew my mind. You Tube or Daily Motion likely has clips of the shows.

cool, i will check on that! :)

• Like 1

Except for Billy Idol and his White Wedding phase ~ Punk didn't really go down well on my playlist ~

Punk for me was just like any other music style, meaning; a good song is a good song is a good song.

I didn't like the whole genre, but if I found a good punksong, then punk was good for me on that day. :)

Stiff Little Fingers - Alternative Ulster

The Clash - London Calling

(The clash is considered punk-"lite", but nevertheless - it was punk :))

[media=]

• Like 2

Ramones yes ... funny I never really found them leaning towards Punk ~ really ~

• Like 1

Ramones yes ... funny I never really found them leaning towards Punk ~ really ~

It sometimes seems like a tough call. They have catchy and simple music with a softer edge than most punk rock. It's almost like they just returned to the basics of rock after prog rock almost became a genre unto itself. That said, I do consider them to be a punk rock band. "Wart Hog" was one of their hardest songs. It came out when hardcore was in vogue. Still, I can see how you wouldn't see them as punk rock. I can agree with you when I look at (and hear) it in a certain way.

• Like 2

since you guys were at the Ramones anyway, it's not too off-topic. This i discovered this morning, and it shows the guys were a gift that just keeps on giving...

the Ramones' first demo tape, this sounds EVEN BETTER then their studio Albums! YEAH!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT_tKrbsz5A#t=1166

• Like 2

since you guys were at the Ramones anyway, it's not too off-topic. This i discovered this morning, and it shows the guys were a gift that just keeps on giving...

the Ramones' first demo tape, this sounds EVEN BETTER then their studio Albums! YEAH!!!!!

http://www.youtube.c...tKrbsz5A#t=1166

My late dad liked the Ramones. It shocked me when I learned that. He was into Chuck Berry and Carl Perkins. It showed how the Ramones took rock back to its roots.

• Like 2

My late dad liked the Ramones. It shocked me when I learned that. He was into Chuck Berry and Carl Perkins. It showed how the Ramones took rock back to its roots.

your dad had a fine taste in music! :)

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

1. Led Zeppelin II by Led Zeppelin
  2. Lullabies to Paralyze by Queens of the Stone Age
  3. First Rays of the Rising Sun by Jimi Hendrix
  4. Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus by Spirit
  5. Blue Train by John Coltrane
  6. Happy Trails by Quicksilver Messenger Service
  7. Isle of View by Jimmie Spheeris
  8. Act II by The Dear Hunter
  9. Pretzel Logic by Steely Dan