Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Beyond The 3-Dimensional

Saru

Here's something to get you thinking.

Imagine a race of beings that lived out their entire existence in a 2-dimensional environment, say on the surface of a sphere. They have absolutely no perception of the third dimension at all - to them, the sphere's surface would be completely flat, with no up and down, and no curvedness at all.

Now imagine one day someone in the 3d world came along and stuck a cocktail stick into the sphere. How would the 2-dimension beings perceive this ? What would they see, and how would they explain it ? A strange object would have 'intersected' their plain of existence, seemingly appearing out of nowhere, but to them, consisting of only 2 dimensions. They wouldn't be able to perceive it's height, because to them there would be no such concept.

Now we live in a 3-dimensional world, ( assuming time is the 4th dimension ), now imagine the possibility of a 5th dimension, one that we have absolutely no perception of whatsoever. Imagine a race of 5-dimensional beings, 'intersecting' our plain of existence with a 5-dimensional object. How would we see that ? In the same way as the 2-dimensional beings couldn't perceive the full dimensions of the cocktail stick, we would be as powerless to explain the dimensions of the 5-dimensional object.

How much of our universe are we actually perceiving ? Could there be other plains of existence all around us, that we simply cannot comprehend ?

The ultimate depth of the universe may be far more complicated than we can imagine.

unsure.gif

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Homer

• Kismit

• j6p

• Althalus

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing with not being able to see the 5th dimension, is hat we would not be able to see it, and therefore we would not be able to detect it at all, unless, could it be that when we die, for example, we ascend onto a 5th dimensional plane of existence, and as such we as humans an only see it when certain conditions are met.

Those people on the 2d world would only be able to see the cross section that was on their plane of vision, anything else and they would not be able to even see it. So they would be able to see it and say it was there, but not where the end is, as to them it would just disappear.

The fifth dimensional creatures would intersect our dimensional plane, and we would only see them as we would see ourselves, hence the ghosts (in my analogy) being slightly vapourish human looking entities, but not all ghosts appear as vapour, some actually appear as human looking and are solid in appearence.

This could be that they are more in line with our dimension. The less they are in line with our dimension the more or less solid they are looking.

Very deep Gareth blink.gif

Personally, I believe in the possibility of other dimensions that we can’t see or comprehend. It’s strange to think if we are even capable of actually seeing more than three dimensions.

If a 5 or more dimensional object were interjected in our existence, would we be able to see any of it, all of it, or just 3 dimensions of it?

I agree with Al's theory on this smile.gif

I agree with Althalas....we would be completely unaware of it's existence.

My own belief is.....we start "life" at the bottom of the "ladder", each "life" we "improve", if we improve enough we jump up a rung...with each "rung" we become a little bit more "enlightened", this in turn enables us the accept more that life has to show us, be it 4th 5th 6th dimensions etc I'm not sure.....but hey I could be talking sh!te who knows. I like the idea though...?

So I guess..... "you see when you are ready young Grasshopper".

I'm probably off the mark here but I kinda look a dimensions as co-ordinates. Sort of like directions to a point. As an example, we could get by with two dimensions if we were to find a point on a flat grid but we need three co-ordinates if we wanted to locate a point in a three dimensional area. If you take a city map you would go to, lets say, G5 - S4 and there is the building that you want but to find the floor of the building that you needed you would need that 3rd co-ordinate or dimension. Add to that, time. What time do you have to be at G5 - S4 - 27th floor - at 3:30 PM, there is your 4th co-ordinate (dimension).

At this point my eyes glaze because I can't find the fault with my analogy but if I follow this logic I automatically come to the following problem: Why am I there, at G5 - S4 - 27th Floor - @3:30 PM? Maybe for a job interview? Is that a dimension. What is discussed in this interview? Is that a dimension? Was I agressive at this interview? Is that a dimension? Did I get the job? is that a dimention?

Oh my...there I go off into never never land again. I need some help here.

I like your style J6 , Are you Running , Walking or standing still.

I still think Movement should be classed as a dimension after all it takes lots of frames of movement to move .

Kismit,

What a coincidence, we were thinking the same thing. I was trying to find that discussion we had about movement being a dimension of its own, and my explanation of dimensions as a way of plotting things in the universe, but I can’t find it. sad.gif

It was a relevant discussion to what j6p is talking about, I think.

I think the thred was put up just before the last crash . Which means it would have been lost Homer. sad.gif

Whew, thank you guys. Knowing that someone else here has considered this makes me feel better. I hate when I'm alone out there, way out there mellow.gif

Such as refering to animals being able to see things we dont?

When my past dogs see something or someone they dont know or cant see or a noise they usually bark "RUFF RUFF ROAR".

So why do they in a lot of reports just look at something without going crazy? I mean I guess if I saw, lets say, an orb in front of me, I dont know if I would flip out and run away or just stare at it in awe. I'd at least be going to the nearest person and saying LOOK AT THIS MOFO!!!!!! As animals do the same thing though. Hasent your cat come over and lead you to the dead bird on the patio? Or the dog back to the bowl where food or water is out?

So maybe in these circumstances when the animals are 'in the zone' maybe the creature or thing or the odd spot in the wall is communicating with them, thus thats why they just look at you for a sec and ignore you.........?!

So there is a possible OTHER dimension of something that we cannot see but maybe our animals do. And in the same plain, aminals probably do the same, such as a cat only wanting to get in your lap as you are reading something. Biting your toes only while you are sleeping, etc......Maybe they just like to be a pain in the $^%**&$% @$$.

What it all boils down to then, is frequencies, we as humans can see a certain set, and can hear a different set, but they are on the same scale. Maybe dogs can see further onto this scale than we realize and can see things that we can not. Such as with infrared goggles we can see heat patterns which is further up the scale.

Also ghosts or other things exist in their natural state, higher up this frequency scale, so we can not see them or hear them, but dogs and cats can with ease.

This would also help explain why at certain times ghosts tend to become manifest, they seem to have the ability to shift up/down the frequency, this would also explain why they need the energy of the heat in the area to do it, as they need to alter their frequency rate.

So it begs the question, are ghosts in another dimension, or are they in another frequency, this would also explain why due to recent discovery, ghosts are seen to manifest where there is a vibration or other energy in the air. They would use this energy to manifest, and so become visable, all to help them either move up or down the scale.

I tried to read that, but not really the length of it, was so much the vodka is kicking in and I just got lost in the first 10 pages. Can I get some cliffnotes or a blurb about what its about with a little general info so that I might have some motivation to man that novel out?

heh sorry bout that. basicaly its a story about a 2nd dimensional creature, and his adventures in other dimensions. reading this thread reminded me of it, though its been a while since i read it myself.