Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Giant Squid attacks Submarine!

seeder

A giant squid has been filmed launching a frantic attack beneath the waves on a passing submarine.

The ten-legged beast is seen launching itself towards the vessel, whipping its tentacles at the hull.

People in charge of the submarine try to frighten the beast away by shining a bright light at the squid, which only enrages it further and prompts a second attack.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2789502/giant-squid-filmed-flailing-spraying-ink-greenpeace-submarine-chance-underwater-encounter.html#ixzz3Fwms4B4r

• Like 3

Cheers Seeder, found my way here from you not so subtle advertising in the giant crab thread. ;)

Great link, reminded me of those old artist depictions of Giant Squid attacking boats in days of old. No mention of size though, an not much to judge the size of the squid in the video, was it really a Giant?

Regardless of his size, he was not a Greenpeace fan, political motivation maybe? :)

• Like 3

And theres me thinking a giant squid story would get loads of hits and replies... its almost empty in here!!

• Like 4

tumbleweed_zps4ccf6b9b.gif

:whistle:

We still appreciate you Seeder.

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 3

LOL, they didn't get the memo that Greenpeace is on their side! :)

• Like 3

Seeder always finds the most fascinating items! Imagine how dangerous they could be to a diver in a wetsuit.

• Like 1

Maybe they don't want Greenpeace on their side.
  • Like 1

Easily explained: Sperm whales eat squid - Greenpeace protects whales - thus squid hate Greenpeace.

BTW these are Humboldt Squid, vicious little buggers, but only about six feet in length. Giant Squid are considerably larger.

• Like 3

I would have done the exact same thing if I were in the same situation as the squid. Maybe they should not have "disturbed his habitat."

The article says they are Humboldt Squid and they are in the Bering Sea. I'd not heard that the Humboldts had gotten that far yet. I thought they were still only found along the North American coast not yet to Kodiak Island. So if true this would be a event that extends the Humboldt Squids range by several hundred miles north and almost a thousand miles west.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humboldt_squid

BraidEtAl2012.gif

StaafEtAl2011Map.gif

Edited by DieChecker

And theres me thinking a giant squid story would get loads of hits and replies... its almost empty in here!!

Well what do you expect! :no:

It's a friggin' giant squid attacking a submarine and no one's made a Captain Nemo and the Nautilus reference yet! It's like a killer rabbit attacking a group of medieval recreationalists - and no one makes a Monty Python reference!

Jeez guys!

• Like 1

This was a calculated MASS operation = Military Attack Squid Squadron, covert operation, Green Pieces.

• Like 1

I sometimes read too fast and I thought they said squirrels. For some reason I only found that slightly odd. Okay, I'll return to my cage now.

• Like 1

Greenpeace owns a submarine ? :huh:

Yes, and they keep it in a goldfish bowl with very small squids.

Well what do you expect! :no:

It's a friggin' giant squid attacking a submarine and no one's made a Captain Nemo and the Nautilus reference yet! It's like a killer rabbit attacking a group of medieval recreationalists - and no one makes a Monty Python reference!

Jeez guys!

I once saw a movie about killer bunnies. Janet Leigh was in it. It was called "Night of the Lepus". Okay, so what do you expect from someone who would stay in an out of the way motel owned by Mr. Bates?

• 2 weeks later...

i think they defense themselves...

I think the squirrels made them do it.
  • Like 1

The greenpeace sub is manned by squirrels? Sounds plausible. :yes:

• Like 1

The greenpeace sub is manned by squirrels? Sounds plausible. :yes:

I really shouldn't read post late at night. My laughter might wake up the whole house. Then I will loose my witching hour computer privileges. OMG, this post sounds like one of my remarks in the Community Lounge. I have to go join the squirrels in the play room now! :w00t:
  • Like 1

I really shouldn't read post late at night. My laughter might wake up the whole house. Then I will loose my witching hour computer privileges. OMG, this post sounds like one of my remarks in the Community Lounge. I have to go join the squirrels in the play room now! :w00t:

Dang! I didn't even mention they had a white bunny for a skipper.
  • Like 1

Dang! I didn't even mention they had a white bunny for a skipper.

You have a white rabbit? Are they on Grace Slick's Christmas Card list?

You have a white rabbit? Are they on Grace Slick's Christmas Card list?

Humboldt Squid are large and dangerous--as for your question, I'll have to dive down the rabbit hole. Now which pill makes you little and which one makes you tall? Rats! Nothing but Tylenol.
  • Like 1

Humboldt Squid are large and dangerous--as for your question, I'll have to dive down the rabbit hole. Now which pill makes you little and which one makes you tall? Rats! Nothing but Tylenol.

This is good as too much waffling at small and tall can give you a headache. :w00t: