Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Biggest ever haul of Viking treasure

seeder

Great find.

One time I thought I hit it big.I dug a 3 foot hole till I found that the signal dropped when I placed the Coil at the bottom.Turns out I was digging right in the middle of a metal Wagon Wheel Rim.

• Like 4

I cant wait for drier weather so I can get out in those fields with my detector !!

• Like 3

Great read. Good job again, seeder.

• Like 3

Read about it earlier. You guys got it made, Just put a spade in the ground practically anywhere, and you turn up history, albeit not always as spectacular as this! Can't wait to see it all cleaned up and shiny.

• Like 3

I cant wait for drier weather so I can get out in those fields with my detector !!

Old cemeteries and churchyards are a great place to look. One of my ancestors buried a horde of gold and silver in a graveyard during the Civil War and forgot to mark the spot, clearly, and no one has ever found it.
  • Like 3

Old cemeteries and churchyards are a great place to look. One of my ancestors buried a horde of gold and silver in a graveyard during the Civil War and forgot to mark the spot, clearly, and no one has ever found it.

Arch Stanton?

• Like 5

Arch Stanton?

No, his last name was Ward, my grandfather's grandfather in Murfreesboro. It was buried in or near the family burial ground on his farm, and the ground became so torn up and denuded by the horses and foragers of an encampment of Union soldiers, he could never find it.
  • Like 2

i always wished to look for antiques in some of the historical sites. It is one of the things i have in my "must do " list

Edited by qxcontinuum
  • Like 4

That gold pin in the article... By the shape of it's beak it's a flamingo.Where the heck did a Norse craftsman see a flamingo?

• Like 4

Weird, I just happened to be reading about the Staffordshire horde today...

These coincidences seem to happen to me way too often, I'll be wishing an obscure film appear on television and low and behold it will the same day, okay so that's not quite a coincidence as it could be, but the weirdest one so far that I've encountered was me going on Google Maps one day, out of boredom/interest I suppose, and looking for the most remote place I could see on the globe to try and do a street view, I ended up on somewhere unknown to me called Wrangel Island, that afternoon I'm watching a game show or something that had "Wrangel Island" as an answer to something, that was a really weird coincidence that I just happened to choose that obscure location of the globe the same day.

• Like 2

Between the Vikings, the Romans, the Angles, the Saxons, the Celts, and pretty much every other European culture, there has got to be tons--literally tons--of valuables buried around the British Isles. If I was any sort of collector, that's where I would start.

• Like 3

Arch Stanton?

LOL it was the grave marked unknown next to it

" Unk , Unk , Unk ... it has no name on it " :yes:

• Like 3

That gold pin in the article... By the shape of it's beak it's a flamingo.Where the heck did a Norse craftsman see a flamingo?

There are two species native to the old world, one to southern Iberia.
  • Like 1

Arch Stanton?

I got that reference. Thanks. :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

And this is exactly why I want to go to the British Isles lol.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

UPDATE:

Metal detectorist rewarded with nearly £2m after unearthing Britain’s biggest Viking treasure

The haul of 100 items has been described by experts 'of outstanding significance'

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/metal-detectorist-derek-mclennan-receive-2m-award-britain-biggest-viking-treasure-scotland-dumfries-a7733831.html

• Like 4

On 10/13/2014 at 2:10 PM, zebra99 said:

About anywhere around the Mediterranean Sea + Portugal.

On 10/13/2014 at 0:05 PM, Eldorado said:

Arch Stanton?

I had the same though. ^_^

• Like 2