Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Introducing the amazing ‘invisible’ umbrella

BiffSplitkins

It gets in the way when you’re trying to do a lunchtime power shop, it drips water all over your clothes when you get on the train/bus (FML), but ultimately, you can’t live without it thanks to the Great British weather and its irritating predilection for sudden torrential downpours (look outside).

But, there’s a new brolly in town: the air umbrella. Yes, it looks rather like a plunger, but it’s deceptively brilliant.

READ MORE

That's actually a pretty innovative idea. I'm quite surprised that Dyson didn't think of it first.

• Like 2

Oh man, but we still have to hold it the same way as ordinary umbrellas :(

• Like 3

They need to make one with a longer lasting battery. It says the battery lasts for a maximum of 30 minutes, that's no use for someone walking about in the pouring rain. If you forget to charge the battery it won't work at all. That doesn't sound like a very practical umbrella to me.

• Like 3

I thought I read somewhere that this doesn't actually work the way they claim.

Oh man, but we still have to hold it the same way as ordinary umbrellas :(

If they can miniaturize it perhaps they can make a model you wear like a cap? :)
  • Like 2

I miss rain.

It's a really cool, clever idea.

Maybe it could work in a light drizzle, if the air force of the unit is strong... but in real rain...? Real day long pouring rain?

But then, I've never used umbrellas except to hide from the sun at the beach or sidewalk cafes.

Rain is life, why hide from it? If the occasion requires me to stay dry, a hat and coat work fine.

Usually, I take it as a good sign when life falls from heaven free and unregulated and don't hide from it.

• Like 1

What happens to the poor saps around you using regular umbrellas when all this rain is being powerfully sprayed off to the side and under their umbrellas?

ooops...and another potential reason for the "last straw effect".
  • Like 1

That's cool. Does that mean that it could eventually be possible to make a force field around a city to repel hurricanes O_O

What happens to the poor saps around you using regular umbrellas when all this rain is being powerfully sprayed off to the side and under their umbrellas?

THAT is the "killing factor"

Good job on that observation. I did not consider it.

• Like 3

THAT is the "killing factor"

Good job on that observation. I did not consider it.

You didn't need to consider it. The article already mentions it:

This forms an 'invisible' protective layer above the user, although the person walking alongside may get hit by the spray.

• Like 2

That is what I thought when I watched the video. That the people nearby will get drenched even more.

Still, looks to be a handy device. easy to store and use.

I see more problems than solutions...

Battery life, a really heavy rain, a wind that is stronger than the output of the fan.

I suppose you could use it as a club. Hit someone over the head and take their umbrella.

• Like 4

I see more problems than solutions...

Battery life, a really heavy rain, a wind that is stronger than the output of the fan.

I suppose you could use it as a club. Hit someone over the head and take their umbrella.

Says poster with the evil clown photo in their profile :w00t:

That's actually a pretty innovative idea. I'm quite surprised that Dyson didn't think of it first.

[/size][/font][/color]

Wish they had, this sucks.

As pointed out by Merc14, would not like to be standing next to someone with one of them. its bad enough when all the umbrellas are up and start bumping into each other, now you just get soaked by this. I see umbrella rage if this hits the streets of England.....

This would never work at Wimbledon:

umbrellas1_2958003b.jpg

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1

Will it still be bad luck to 'open' it indoors?

Sounds like alot of money to spend just to keep dry also you don't have to charge a regular umbrella to make sure it has enough power before you go out also what happens if it rains all day phone batterys die when they're used too much what happen when this thing dies in the middle of it raining and you can't charge it I guess you're going to get wet then

Umbrella £3 - £5

Gimmick £55

Stupidity for buying gimmick - priceless (to inventor of gimmick)

Come on guys, I know using this as an umbrella is not a great idea. But the technology behind the device is likely to have many applicable uses that do not directly involve replacing the umbrella.

The idea is not stupid, just its suggested application is not that great.

The battery issue could be fixed with one of those body movement phone chargers. That produces enough electricity to charge a phone (or an e-umbrella) as you move about on your daily business.

This is grossly unnecessary. The umbrellas we have now, function just fine.

Edited by Karasu