Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Extinct giant kangaroos walked, not hopped

Still Waters

Huge kangaroos which roamed the Australian outback 100,000 years ago probably walked instead of bouncing, researchers have concluded.

The enormous rabbit-faced creatures were three times the size of modern kangaroos, and lumbered along on two feet like humans.

But their gentle plodding may have made them a target for hunters who could easily out-manoeuvre the enormous creatures.

http://www.telegraph...hey-walked.html

• Like 2

Modern kangaroos could break a few ribs and gut you with one punch and swipe. I'd hate to think what those guys could do to you.

Edited by IBelieveWhatIWant
  • Like 2

Just cause it was big doesn't mean it didn't hop it probuly did hop but of course scientists are going to say whatever the hell they want to say

Just cause it was big doesn't mean it didn't hop it probuly did hop but of course scientists are going to say whatever the hell they want to say

Didn't you read that it had an arthritic back? Meaning it had arthritis in it's (most likely) spice or the bones connecting the spine, if it had acted and moved as a modern day kangaroo it would have been in horrible pain. It would have most likely started walking and hopping as modern kangaroos but as they grew and got heavier, they adjusted because of the discomfort it was causing them.

It looks like it evolved to run away from predators. It has legs like a velociraptor.

Edited by Hammerclaw

I like the walked like a human bit.....at which stage of man?

It looks like it evolved to run away from predators. It has legs like a velociraptor.

most likely the climate, as most mammals in Australia have the same technique

The animal in the sketch looks like it's about to burst into tears, but I suppose if I was extinct I'd be quite upset also. :mellow:

• Like 1

It could have a degenerative back due to drug usage, well you don’t really know?