Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Kenya: One of the last white rhinos has died

Still Waters

One of the last northern white rhinos has died in Kenya - leaving only six of the animals alive and edging the species closer to extinction.

The rhino, named Suni, was found dead on Friday by rangers at the Ol Pejeta Conservancy, 150 miles north of Nairobi. He was 34 years old, and thought to have died of natural causes - the conservancy said he was not killed by poachers.

http://www.telegraph...s-in-Kenya.html

This would not have been such a drastic situation if people did more to kill all these poachers decades ago!!!

• Like 3

I guess short of cloning they're more or less extinct at this point. I dunno if that'd even work if pressed. but it seems like it'd be a possible way to go about it

Another rhino dead, another poacher out of work.

There was this one beautiful little mammal. No bigger than the palm of your hand. It was furry, had beautiful purple eyes. It was so intelligent and shy. It was a herbavore, living off of leaves and fruit. Its only defence was to be able to hide in its burrow and let off a very pungent odor. It would not bite you if you held it in your hands. In fact it loved the warmth of your hands and would fall asleep.

I hate to quote a movie but Humans have become a plaque on this world. We have destroyed countless beautiful species. We will continue to destroy countless species, in our pursuit of 'progress'. The irony of that word and how people use it. That creature I conjured in my head may have existed, who knows? We have destroyed half of the worlds species in the last 100 years. It is very sad... hey but lets keep on fracking, deforesting, drilling a hole everywhere, mining so we can do these three things...

Overbreed, Consume as much as we can, and go into debt to service the former two.

If as Hawkings says there are countless universes... this universe sucks HUGE balls.

Edited by Nzo
  • Like 1

But the poor rhino wasn't killed by poachers.

Yes, but this is a breast-beating, mea culpa kind of topic. Logic can be found elsewhere on UM. Well..I'll get back to you on that.

No. THIS Rhino was not killed by poachers. This Rhino's death matters A LOT MORE because of what poachers did to the species. There is a subspecies of Black Rhino which is now extinct too. This is even worse because it is a matter of debate that this might be a totally separate species to the Southern White Rhino.

And the world has lost not half its species, but about that in terms of biomass or something like that. It's bad, but not as bad as the person who mentioned it above described.

As for overpopulation that is more regional. Europe has an underpopulation problem due to the VERY low birthrates. Places like Nigeria where the population will go from 175M to over 900M in 2100 are the ones where they need to stop breeding so bloody much.

...As for overpopulation that is more regional. Europe has an underpopulation problem due to the VERY low birthrates. Places like Nigeria where the population will go from 175M to over 900M in 2100 are the ones where they need to stop breeding so bloody much.

Got it. Europe good. Africa bad.

Perfect. 9 Billion people on the planet, for the most part greedy A**HOLES, and we can't take care of a half dozen creatures that have thrived on Earth for MILLIONS OF YEARS!!! WTFFFFF!!!!

• Like 3

If as Hawkings says there are countless universes... this universe sucks HUGE balls.

I don't know, perhaps "this universe" is better than all the rest.

• Like 1

Perfect. 9 Billion people on the planet, for the most part greedy A**HOLES,

I don't know if that is true. It depends on your definition of greedy. I don't consider having 2 children and keeping them fed, sheltered and cared for greedy. I can see where a person could make the argument that bringing any children into the world could be considered greedy. I can see where someone could make the argument that using anything plastic, wooden or otherwise produced in a way which hurts the planet is greedy. I don't see it that way.

Got it. Europe good. Africa bad.

Certain regions can support certain numbers of people.

A country the size of Nigeria with over 900 million people = BAD NEWS.

It's like how there are way too many people in the desert in the American west where there are not enough resources to support that many permanently.

It's like how there are way too many people in the desert in the American west where there are not enough resources to support that many permanently.

I think that line of thinking can be used for most places on Earth. The American west imports most of what it needs. Just like European cities import much of what they use.

I certainly would not argue against the planet being overpopulated.

This would not have been such a drastic situation if people did more to kill all these poachers decades ago!!!

Evil humans :(

Agreeably 900 million people living in Nigeria (currently 160 million) would be bad news. According to this though http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states_and_dependent_territories_by_population_density (only including European countries) the Netherlands {1,052 p/sq.m}, Belgium {951 p/sq.m}, the United Kingdom {679 p/sq.m}, Germany {585 p/sq.m}, Italy {523 p/sq.m} and Switzerland {513 p/sq.m} all have greater population densities than Nigeria {500 p/sq.m}.

Agreeably 900 million people living in Nigeria (currently 160 million) would be bad news. According to this though http://en.wikipedia....ulation_density (only including European countries) the Netherlands {1,052 p/sq.m}, Belgium {951 p/sq.m}, the United Kingdom {679 p/sq.m}, Germany {585 p/sq.m}, Italy {523 p/sq.m} and Switzerland {513 p/sq.m} all have greater population densities than Nigeria {500 p/sq.m}.

1- They are also much wealthier.

2- Their birthrates are WAY below replacement.

Italy's fertility rate is maybe 1.4 children per woman. Nigeria is over 6.

1- They are also much wealthier.

2- Their birthrates are WAY below replacement.

Italy's fertility rate is maybe 1.4 children per woman. Nigeria is over 6.

So, until they can become wealthy countries like the rest of us they are the ones that, as you put it, who "...need to stop breeding so bloody much."?

Edited by Likely Guy

But the poor rhino wasn't killed by poachers.

It would not have been news either had it not been for all those which were:

"Consequently the species now stands at the brink of complete extinction, a sorry testament to the greed of the human race," a spokesman said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/kenya/11172392/One-of-last-remaining-northern-white-rhinos-dies-in-Kenya.html

Perfect. 9 Billion people on the planet, for the most part greedy A**HOLES, and we can't take care of a half dozen creatures that have thrived on Earth for MILLIONS OF YEARS!!! WTFFFFF!!!!

We can just about take care of ourselves. If we are not fighting and killing each other over religion or money we are having countries dishing out viruses, what chance does the other animals have?