Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

ouija board- zama

caseychrap

Interesting post. I also give credit (as I did in another thread) on the French Dictionnaire Infernal written by Colin D'Plancy, that the name "Zozo" apparently was mentioned.

There are many more references to Zozo in unrelated literary sources connecting the word to demonic origins. I can list many more references, but would prefer to publish them in a future book on the Zozo Phenomenon.

I would be very interested to read such a book. I appreciate good solid and in-depth research for its own sake, and to expand knowledge. I also stand corrected (potentially) about Zozo's presence in documents before the 90's, and would also like to clarify I was referring to research I was able to do online, and that was entirely my fault for not specifying that, so the rebuttal is entirely a valid one.

Zama is reported in other people's Ouija encounters,along with Zoma ...... and is obviously a name contrived by the entities that often use the Zozo / Mama Ouija handles. The "Supernatural" Ouija board manufactured by Usaopoly actually omits the letter Z from their popular Ouija board. What other reason than to attempt to cut down on visits from old Mr. Z?

The fact of a manufacturer omitting a letter from their board *could* be seen as a "safeguard" on their part, certainly. It could also be seen by someone less inclined to believe companies that MAKE spirit boards are worried about evil ghosts, as a laudable and shrewd marketing ploy to present an air of authenticity, and/or possibly address actual fears of potential buyers. "What? People don't want to buy boards because they may contact evil entities with Z names? No more Z's! Take em off!" Maybe it's safety, maybe it's reaction to customer demand, maybe it's marketing. But what are the chances these people are encountering "evil entities" named XOXO or WUWU? I bet they're pretty good. In fact I bet it's an absolute certainty.

Regardless of whether or not spirits are involved in Ouija phenomena, thousands of people have had unusual experiences and exchanges with Zozo and other Z-Entities. The letter Z has a fascinating history and was eliminated from several languages for various reasons including because the mere pronunciation of it resembled "The rictus of death." Called The Whoreson Zed, the letter of the Zig Zag, a prophetic letter etc.

Just as correlation does not equal causation, neither does it equal direct identicality or specificity. The fact remains that because multiple people might have encountered "Z entities" as you call them, or ZOZO or ZAMA specifically, during occult practices (whether or not using the board) doesn't mean there is any direct connection, anymore than all the people in history killed by someone named "James" indicates there is a connection of homicidal intent between all people sharing the name. The word "coincidence" exists for a reason - because things co-incide. Yes, even something as specific as ZOZO or ZAMA, or in fact, DEFINITELY a phonetic construct as basic and simple as ZAMA, ZOZO or the like, will be a very common occurrence as something from our minds.

As for the letter z history, it is quite interesting and may very well have an actual "influence" of sorts, even in our modern age. The influence of superstition, unfortunately, and the phenomenon that is human nature itself, but influence nonetheless, so I essentially concede the point that "Z names/words" or even the letter itself may have an unusual significance to people. But the research data given by Mr. Evans is precisely what explains the actual reason the names popping up with strange associations is not at all surprising. If truly people did and apparently still may attach, even unconsciously, perhaps on a primitive, visceral level, a negative association, or dread, then this letter or words in which it is contained - a letter which has very little utility in much of English (modern or otherwise) - showing up in "dark" contexts is pretty much a certainty, not an unlikelihood.

Naturally, another very real possibility for this "epidemic" of ZOZO contact is simple: contagion. You might also think of it in terms of a meme or "going viral", the same way "The Greys" (ala abductee Whitley Strieber's Communion book cover). Many people have heard, much like the Slenderman nonsense, of this, especially with the Ouija related movies, but I realize there was some Zozo before that. However, we DO live in the digital age of instant communication, and so yes, you can read or infer a lot, even if you don't know it - scary stories, paranormal sites, TV, etc.

This is also, sadly, the age of intentionally created urban myth (the aforementioned Slenderman) and "creepypasta". To think that there has not been at least *some* effort, for years, to create and foster and maintain this "legend" of Zozo, would be irresponsible and naive.

Very good replies here, very interesting!

Ouija boards do work in a rather unusual way and often give very surprising results to everyone involved, including things they wouldn't necessarily even WANT it to give. And there are people reporting ZOZO and ZAMA and various other names and entities or board personalities. And people can get very frightened and superstitious and nearly traumatized if they become obsessed with a board and its responses.

So yes, it's quite "real".

But as far as "spirits" - not in my opinion. The ideomotor effect, instead, which you can find information on in the obvious link in my signature, if you're interested in reading more on it.

I have never spoken to Zama on the board. However I have heard of the legend of he ZoZo spirt

coming from Ouija.

• Like 1

Zama is one of the fallen angels I think not sure but he is a master of metals..

i thought Iron Maiden were the masters of metal?

Oh! Master of metals. M'eh, either way. :)

• Like 1

I was reading about insurance company statisticians revealing research that people with the letter Z on their vehicle plates reported a higher rate of fatal accidents. In the book Patterns of Prophesy by Alan Vaughn he talks about talking with an entity on the Ouija that only identified as "Z" that warned him of possession and other things in 1966. I have read experiments with people blindfolded that were somehow able to hone in on the letter Z during a controlled session.

I recently interviewed researchers at UBC that are using Ouija boards to explore the subconscious and their findings are quite fascinating. While they admit they do not believe the findings are from a paranormal source, individuals are able to answer questions with greater accuracy on the board then when asked away from the Ouija. The percentage of correct answers while using the board is significant.

I do believe the ideomotor effect to be involved in Ouija phenomenon, but I also do not think it can totally explain the information exchange. I think there is more going on than tiny involuntary muscle movements. When entire conversations are taking place involving invisible participants that reveal unknown knowledge to the players, are we to dismiss the statistical probability of such an exchange? In my own Ouija experiences I noticed the mis-spelling of words that I know I would never misspell. Does the ideomotor effect explain what part of the brain that caused the forced inaccuracy?

How do automated movements facilitate abilities to suddenly spell words and sentences in an unknown foreign language such as Hebrew or Latin? Or how sentence structure can reveal slang or old style dialects? How does science explain that an automatic response such as in play with Ouija board often produces a very powerful and negative exchange that can harbor abhorrent thoughts and perverted responses that can come across as shocking to the participants. If a dowsing rod could talk, would it call you a whore and threaten to plow you to a fiery demise?

While I do not believe the ideomotor effect to be a concrete and total explanation for Ouija phenomena and talking to the dead and unseen, i do view the effect to be a necessary byproduct or conduit for spiritual communication. While evidence of full blown physical spirit possession seems to be a very rare occurrence in comparison to a diabolical oppression, is it really too far fetched to believe in the possibility that other worldly beings from another dimension can somehow channel information through our brains telepathically?

In situations where say 3 or 4 participants are placing their fingers on a planchette, how is that the ideomotor effect works on each player individually? One would have to conclude that at the very microsecond the question is being asked, the entire facilitated auto response would have to be magically resolved into an unknown group effect. How does this magical subconscious mechanism engineer statements and ramblings NOT pertaining to questions asked? Would it not be more scientific to expect that these 3 or 4 players who are spelling words and complex sentence structures using subconscious and independent muscle movements to actually spell non meaningful gibberish as opposed to clever and immediate responses? I have seen immediate and witty abbreviations implemented into conversations during Ouija sessions in which the planchette moved with such speed and quickness one would quickly lose train of thought, and required an outside observer writing down the words during the session just to remember the exchange taking place.

So it would seem regardless on which side of the fence you sit......skeptics and believers alike agree that the planchette moves because of impulses unconsciously generated by the participants. This fact in my opinion does not change the paranormality of Ouija phenomena because I have yet to read how science explains how it all works. Perhaps the spirits need our eyes and muscle movements to "bio-channel" information thru the Ouija.

I would agree in the possibility that there are so many negative experiences and exchanges with the "Z-entities" that there must be some conscious and unconscious recognition bias going on thru the collective human unconscious. The curious tragedy and story of the "Zo" people of Burma, The "Kings of Zozo,"....the secret societies of "Zo" shamans in Africa that were recently exposed to have actually help spread the Ebola virus due to their healing techniques, etc. The Oz / Zo phenomena described by Jake Kotz in his blog Rant in Z minor point to some kind of weird synchromystic type of paradigm going on. The historic evidences of Zozo as being a demonic entity before the modern invention of the Ouija is perhaps nothing more than a very extraordinary coincidence, but one worthy of examination and endless speculation.

• Like 1

I was reading...

{rest of unsupported stuff snipped..}

An awful lot of stuff there, Darren, yet not a single cite, name of study, name of researcher.. why, not even a Youtube video!

So forgive me for calling it unsupported word salad. You can of course rectify that easily, but please, make sure you bring your best evidential reference here first. Not many links, just one good one... and by 'good', I don't mean an anecdote/story. We all love ghost stories, but this site likes to try to find evidence..

BTW, I take it this link is you? Seems anything is good enough, on that page... :td:

Absolutely - no-one else could possibly have something worthwhile to say. Indeed I have already left and will not return.

Not returning huh? :D

Ya didn't spot the irony and the fact that I was rather obviously joking, as .. (do I really have to point this out...) if I had really left, then I couldn't be making that post..?

OK, nah, I was WRONG. I made an error. I shouldn't have come back. (See how dead easy it is to admit error...). But sometimes I am the epitome of XKCD's famous cartoon:

duty_calls.png

And Astra, don't *you* want to see Darren's proof and evidence, so we can verify it?

• Like 1

Ya didn't spot the irony and the fact that I was rather obviously joking, as .. (do I really have to point this out...) if I had really left, then I couldn't be making that post..?

OK, nah, I was WRONG. I made an error. I shouldn't have come back. (See how dead easy it is to admit error...). But sometimes I am the epitome of XKCD's famous cartoon:

duty_calls.png

And Astra, don't *you* want to see Darren's proof and evidence, so we can verify it?

Lol......no, not really ChrrLs.

The Quija boared is not my thing!.....been there! - done it! - as a teenager.

Load of crapola mate :)

• Like 1

:D

Anyway, looks like Darren ("Seagull") Evans has left his 'deposit' here and flown away..

I'll happily apologise for that rude remark IF he returns and starts debating..

He has an admittedly very content-rich website I stumbled upon, ironically, completely unrelated to UM stuff. He is a "Zozologist", like I'm a cheeseburgerologist, though his appears to involve a laudably great deal more actual research. I give him credit for the effort he's put into ... whatever it is ultimately he's doing or plans to do, and he certainly has some interesting information and ideas and observations.

It all makes me miss having some fun, weird Ouija sessions. We had a couple of anxiety-producing "dark" sessions, but overall it was really interesting, and much more interesting when I did some sessions after getting a firm handle on what likely was at work when the board responded, and when i was aware and able to observe the responses and the interaction with the other users, though I admit it was circumstantial, I could easily see which of the users' were "powering" the traveler and its responses (not deliberately pushing it). It was eye opening.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I used to play it in our younger days, I guess we were looking for a thrill. I used to freak out on the board reading my mind. It would spell out whatever I would be thinking, but looking back, it's highly likely it was some subconscious thing. It makes a lot of sense to me how the subconscious mind could move the planchette. It was awesome tho, and the Ouija always managed to give me the 'creep factor', and I really like the feeling of being afraid, call me nuts, but I just do.

As a kid i would play it as well. One day a friend and I asked it, "what is the scratching sound in the corner of the room?". It replied, "bug". Then a vicious and evil grasshopper come bouncing out a few minutes later. Ha. That's the type of experiences I had with the Ouija! Not much actually. Just malicious killer crickets and stuff, no biggie.

Edited by xxxdemonxxx

The Ouija typically would hit on two letters, and repeat those letters. NANA was a huge deal for my wife and I. She was preggo at the time, and apparently this NANA made it known it wanted our kid.

I was all young and naive about it and like "nooooo b****, u will never get muh bebeh!" She never did, of course. Also I would have these dreams of being chased by this crazy NANA person. She never had a face, and she always showed up when I was "lucid dreaming". I realize now, I was probably unconsciously incorporating this visual into my dreams without realizing it. I always managed to basically "kick her evil ass" in most of them. So I was ok with it, and always woke with a sense of victory.

• 2 years later...
On 10/22/2014 at 7:08 PM, caseychrap said:

My friends and I just got done with using the ouija board. We encountered Zama, and we are now looking for answers. I would like to speak to you personally, so please respond if you see this. Thank you. 

On 10/23/2014 at 9:50 PM, ronny22 said:

first of all when some one dies, there dead you can not speak to the soul(so called loved ones) that is a myth and fake, people make movies and paranormal crap where they say oh its haunted by the so and so, NOOOOO

there dead the soul is out of this world three main religions also say this.

Ghost of humans is all bull its spirits in Human form

there's three things in this world

Human, Spirits and Angels

Angels are there for what God tells them to do and are Pure good

Humans well your a Human you know what Humans are cable off

and then we have spirits

there's two types Good and Evil

the Good are a minority and tend to keep a big distance from the human world and interventions

but just like us humans eat, sleep, procreate etc...

and then there's the Evil ones

some are just born into Evil families and think what the doing is normal, harassing, possessing, killing and Satan is the lord etc...

i can tell you more if you ask to know

basically they are another being that the human eye can not see unless they are in a smokey cloudy form or they manifest into a solid being i.e. human

you obviously had spoken to a Spirit whom most likely is a demon and you should stop doing what you do or he/she will possess one of you

be it your mom or aunt cousin etc...

however, considering how you already been speaking to this spirit be ready for a roller coaster cause **** just got real

your will have stuff happening to you and your family and home

it will start of slow but gradually get worse and worse

aches and pains on the body

seeing shadows here and there

things missing or in wrong place

sudden anger burst at friends and family

horrible smells etc...

Demons lie constantly so what ever you got from the oujia board is stuff you guys already know and it read your minds

plus it will always tell you one truth followed by 99 lies

GOOD LUCK

Hi, I was curious as to your own personal experience..You seem to have alot of advice an opinion on this matter if you can expand on your exprience Id be keen to hear it thanks..

14 hours ago, UltraPrima said:

My friends and I just got done with using the ouija board. We encountered Zama, and we are now looking for answers. I would like to speak to you personally, so please respond if you see this. Thank you. 

Hello there UltraPrima, welcome to UM. The OP you've replied to still hasn't been back here since October 24, 2014.

11 hours ago, Hre2breal said:

Hi, I was curious as to your own personal experience..You seem to have alot of advice an opinion on this matter if you can expand on your exprience Id be keen to hear it thanks..

The member this is addressed to hasn't been active here since December 14, 2016.

Seeing as this topic was started more than 3 years ago and the OP hasn't returned, I think we can safely close this thread. If the OP returns and requests it the thread can be reopened. Other than that if anyone has any experiences they'd like to share, feel free to start a new topic.

*Closed*

• The topic was locked