Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

When the clock strikes 1:11

UM-Bot

Kathleen Meadows: Years ago my mother commented that every time she looked at the clock, it was displaying the three same numbers. No doubt this wouldn’t be noticed before the advent of the digital clock. She described an uncanny jolt that would shock through her mind at each sighting. Ashamedly, I admit I was somewhat less than wildly impressed and would just mumble something polite with a shrugging hint that perhaps we could move our conversation towards something more interesting. I had no idea why this business with the clock had so ignited her imagination and certainly hadn’t a clue as to its significance or whether indeed there could even be one. This was before of course it happened to me.

arrow3.gifView: Full Article

• 2 months later...

• 3 weeks later...

This has occurred to me thousands of times and the only change I have seen over the past 20 years is that I see 5 and 6 "1's" instead of just 4. I randomly saw 6 today.

• 2 months later...

This happens to me too. In the last month alone I have seen the time 11:11 about 20 times! That's a lot if you think about it! And it really does grab my attention! I have heard the same story about its meaning and it kind of gives me comfort to know that I am where I'm meant to be. It's funny, one day my phone said it was 11:11am and it made me feel like calling my mum (we live distant) and when I hung up, it said we were on the phone for 11minutes and my battery was at 11% I just smiled :)

(Old article, by the way..)

This is a pretty well known and well understood phenomena, and is simply your brain pattern-matching. Your mind is extraordinarily clever at also predicting times, so it will (via your built in body clock) subconsciously know when it should start looking again.

Covered here at UM in this and other threads, and the first answer posted here is an excellent coverage.

• Like 1

For years, I would say for a good ten years this same exact thing would happen with me as well. Not anymore. I consider the number as my lucky one.

i tend to very often notice the times 11:11 and 4:44 .. no idea why.

Very weird I get 11:11 too for the last 4 years! household quartz clocks, watches, DVD timer, truck clock stop on it, the weighted cookoo clock no matter when you set it and I notice it a lot when I see the digital clocks when they hit the same number. I figure my subconscious has me look at the digital clocks at the same time day and night since the other ones were stopping on 11:11. It's very creepy and seems beyond coincidence since I hear of so many other people getting this number too. I don't really know what it means to this day, it's very creepy! Is it really a time or the date of something significant? I even toyed with the idea that maybe digital things had something in them like when you loose power and the clock blinks 12:00 but I know thats not the case!

Edited by White Unicorn
  • Like 1

I think our body-clocks give us an amazing time-keeping ability. If I wake up in the night, I can usually guess (without any clues) roughly what time it is, and sometimes guess exactly right. So, if you were to fixate on a specific time, there is every chance that you can wake yourself up for it.

I get 11:11 very frequently, for almost a year I would look at the clock in the morning and at night at this time even though I wasn't in a daily routine. As others have stated though this is just your brain getting used to seeing it and telling you to look like an alarm clock.

I guess 11:11 is just popular since it is so easy to remember?

I was going to say that people usually cite 11:11 for this 'phenomena' , not 1:11

but so many have beat me to it !

2:13

Now lets see if that keeps popping up ( as much as the 2:30 dentist appointment ;) )