Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Space may make astronauts infertile

UM-Bot

A new study has shown that spending time in space can affect both male and female reproductive organs.

The research, which has been conducted by NASA, has shown that animals exposed to zero-gravity and the radiation levels typically encountered in space have ended up suffering from infertility.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/274128/space-may-make-astronauts-infertile

Soo.. lead underwear and radiation glasses?

In all seriousness though, this doesn't bode well for future travel and colonization of other planets. But I'm sure something will be figured out

• Like 1

Soo.. lead underwear and radiation glasses?

In all seriousness though, this doesn't bode well for future travel and colonization of other planets. But I'm sure something will be figured out

It's called frozen sperm n eggs. :) simple really and would provide a massive genetic diversity.

It's called frozen sperm n eggs. :) simple really and would provide a massive genetic diversity.

Would it be feasible to keep them in space for long periods of time? I would think it would need constant power to keep the temperatures down, for a short term it may be okay but for months at a time I dunno. But this is coming from someone who know nothing about energy storage, power output and the amount of space required to supply that power.

Hopefully just another hurdle to overcome...

It would be sods law that we escaped our own planets mortality only to find that those who leave to seed the universe are infertile.

• Like 1

Well, that's the final straw... No Mars mission for me!

Edited by pallidin

Would it be feasible to keep them in space for long periods of time? I would think it would need constant power to keep the temperatures down, for a short term it may be okay but for months at a time I dunno. But this is coming from someone who know nothing about energy storage, power output and the amount of space required to supply that power.

It might be possible to have a compartment in the space vehicles where the coldness of space is used to keep the samples frozen with adequate lead shielding to keep the radiation from them.
  • Like 1

Well, that's the final straw... No Mars mission for me!

But think of all the fun you could have. As suggested above, just leave a few deposits at a sperm bank and when you come home and find the right woman, your in business.

COSMIC CONUNDRA

Can you STOP a cosmic ray?

The electrons in cosmic rays will stop relatively easily in solid matter as they interact with atoms. But the muons are more difficult to stop, because they are much heavier and are not slowed down so easily by matter. Some muons will stop on their way through buildings, while others can travel many metres below ground.

Cosmic-ray neutrinos, by contrast, are almost impossible to stop - they usually go right through the Earth! They do not interact with atoms in the same way that electrons and muons do, because they have no electric charge.

Can cosmic rays hurt you?

On rare occasions a cosmic ray can probably cause enough damage to a cell in a human body to lead to cancer.

Around 1 in every 1000 deaths from cancer in the UK may be due to cosmic rays.

But the changes that cosmic rays sometimes make in a cell could also be beneficial. In this way they may have played an important role in the evolution of life on Earth.

Source: http://www.physics.o...ts/leaflet3.htm

Edited by pallidin

COSMIC CONUNDRA

Can you STOP a cosmic ray?

The electrons in cosmic rays will stop relatively easily in solid matter as they interact with atoms. But the muons are more difficult to stop, because they are much heavier and are not slowed down so easily by matter. Some muons will stop on their way through buildings, while others can travel many metres below ground.

Cosmic-ray neutrinos, by contrast, are almost impossible to stop - they usually go right through the Earth! They do not interact with atoms in the same way that electrons and muons do, because they have no electric charge.

Can cosmic rays hurt you?

On rare occasions a cosmic ray can probably cause enough damage to a cell in a human body to lead to cancer.

Around 1 in every 1000 deaths from cancer in the UK may be due to cosmic rays.

But the changes that cosmic rays sometimes make in a cell could also be beneficial. In this way they may have played an important role in the evolution of life on Earth.

Source: http://www.physics.o...ts/leaflet3.htm

Thanks Pallidin. Cosmic rays did create the Fantastic 4. I wouldn't mind being having any of their powers, but not look like "The Thing".

I suppose if you didn't want to have children or knew that you didn't want to have any more children, a trip to space would do the trick. It would be a very expensive trip though and you would have to be in tip top shape to go.

I wonder if anyones banged one out up there in space yet?.. haha

that would be on my top 5 list of questions if i ever got the chance to meet an ISS Astronaut.....

• Like 1