Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mind-reading device invented by scientists

Still Waters

It might seem the stuff of science fiction, but a mind-reading device is being developed by scientists which can evesdrop on your inner-voice.

Reseachers at the University of California, Berkeley, have developed a machine and computer programme which converts brain activity into sounds and words.

Speech activates specific neurons as the brain works interpret the sounds as words. Each word activates a slightly different set of neurons.

http://www.telegraph...nner-voice.html

It might seem the stuff of science fiction, but a mind-reading device is being developed by scientists which can evesdrop on your inner-voice.

Reseachers at the University of California, Berkeley, have developed a machine and computer programme which converts brain activity into sounds and words.

Speech activates specific neurons as the brain works interpret the sounds as words. Each word activates a slightly different set of neurons.

http://www.telegraph...nner-voice.html

Here comes the thought police.

e2d4345327ff6477df65fd04d37d2e31.jpg

• Like 2

Hmm. I don't actually think in words (now that I think of it.)

It could be useful for communicating with people who are severely handicapped, though, if they know how to speak already ("Locked In Synddrome").

• Like 1

this reminds me of the episode of Family Matters when Steve Urkel got mind reading powers and everybody hated him for listening to their personal thoughts but he wasn't able to control it though

Hmm. I don't actually think in words (now that I think of it.)

It could be useful for communicating with people who are severely handicapped, though, if they know how to speak already ("Locked In Synddrome").

I have known some people in that situation, trouble is the technology is usually so expensive most of disabled who really need it can't afford it.

So I wonder if the hot female doc/nurse attending my session would notice such thoughts and slap me into next week.

Here comes the thought police.

e2d4345327ff6477df65fd04d37d2e31.jpg

• Like 1

So I wonder if the hot female doc/nurse attending my session would notice such thoughts and slap me into next week.

Would you like her to slap you that way? :D

It would like to know what im thinking when im asleep, this machine could be good at dream reading.

• Like 1

I imagine an extremely complex process to isolate the "visualization" of the words from the subsequent interpretation and processing of the words relative to known associations in long term memory. Can hardly wait for the future version of Dragon Dictate software ... Dragon Decodes.

• Like 1

I wonder, what we would hear if such a system was used on a person that had been profoundly deaf since birth?...

That would be odd.

Remember, though, that a completely deaf person from birth will still express laughter if you tickle them, or express pain if they are burned.

Those types of autonomic expressions would likely be the dominant, if not the only ,voices recorded.

Edited by pallidin

• 2 weeks later...