Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo crashed

seeder

A second commercial spaceship ship has crashed this week.

Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo crashed in the Mojave Desert Friday, KGET reported. The pilot is presumed dead.

The incident occurred during a test flight. There were no passengers.

Virgin Galactic initially announced just after 1:00 p.m. EST that the aircraft experienced an "in-flight anomaly."

http://www.aol.com/article/2014/10/31/virgin-galactic-space-flight-crashes-in-mojave-desert/20987027/

Oh no!

It is a shock and tragedy indeed... hope they pick themselves up and continue though.

RIP to the pilot

• Like 3

Wow, I just read that.

Edited by Daughter of the Nine Moons

Space flight & even experimental flights like Virgin is doing is ultimately a ticking time bomb, I bet they will look into there new fuel fist off ! Very Sad to Loose life But they are doing exactly what the have always dreamed to do ! Fly into near space ! Dont Give up guys !

• Like 2

So maybe they can't necessarily do it better than NASA can ...

Hopefully Ryan Stiles will lay off his "Flying Virgin" jokes for a while on Whose Line.

(Added) I should of said this first - A horrible tragedy.

Edited by paperdyer

This is indeed sad.

I thought of an interesting, albeit ridiculous thought earlier.

Perhaps NASA knew that 3rd party contractors would have setbacks.

Perhaps this was their response to slashed budgets, and the cancellation of the space program.

Perhaps they thought contractor failure would convince the powers that be to increase their budget; and give them full oversight on all space, and near-space flights.

It could also be intentional sabotage.

Else it's just a sad series of coincidences.

Edited by Karasu

We need to wait for the reports what caused it..

This is indeed sad.

I thought of an interesting, albeit ridiculous thought earlier.

Perhaps NASA knew that 3rd party contractors would have setbacks.

Perhaps this was their response to slashed budgets, and the cancellation of the space program.

Perhaps they thought contractor failure would convince the powers that be to increase their budget; and give them full oversight on all space, and near-space flights.

It could also be intentional sabotage.

Else it's just a sad series of coincidences.

It's good to see that a human tragedy doesn't stop the creation of paranoid rubbish. Well done.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
  • Like 8

It's good to see that a human tragedy doesn't stop the creation of paranoid rubbish. Well done.

I said it was a ridiculous thought, that's THOUGHT not belief. One that was deeply rooted in satire.

Also; believe it or not, someone else probably thought of this at the same time I did.

Edited by Karasu

So maybe they can't necessarily do it better than NASA can ...

How many failures have each had?

Well that's just horrible.

Hopefully they will find a cause and are able to correct that potentiality.

Of course, aviation of all types have never gone unscathed without some disaster from time-to-time.

Its not how many times you Fail,ITs How many times you Keep your Heart and Soul into a Project ! THey will Over come !

• Like 3

Sad to hear about the astronaut/pilot.

Speaking as a pilot, there will still be no shortage of volunteers for future missions. Just like exploring anything there will be lost ships and colonies followed by great achievements and even nations. It is the year 2014 - we should have universities on Mars not "reality shows" on TV.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-29857182

• Like 2

Its not how many times you Fail,ITs How many times you Keep your Heart and Soul into a Project ! THey will Over come !

True story. Disaster by no means should it equate to "cancellation"

I agree 100% I would step right up to the Plate and Fire me Off ! :tu:

No Gain without a little pain !

• Like 2

I wonder if this Virgin project will now go the same way as the Virgin Submarine? Quietly vanish when a problem arises?

I wonder if this Virgin project will now go the same way as the Virgin Submarine? Quietly vanish when a problem arises?

Not on Sir Richard Branson`s watch I would venture to bet !

He`s on his way to Cali right now ~ HE will Keep the Program going !

Edited by DONTEATUS
  • Like 2

I think really he, or Virgin Group, since many of the subsidiaries are part-owned by someone else, has way too many interests in way too many unrelated things. I mean, look at this lot: http://en.wikipedia....ki/Virgin_Group

So many unrelated things he's stuck the Virgin label on because he knows that it will all increase the worldwide adoration of him.

Edited by Valdemar the Great

Not on Sir Richard Branson`s watch I would venture to bet !

He`s on his way to Cali right now ~ HE will Keep the Program going !

Well he was meant to be piloting the Virgin Oceanic to the Puerto Rico Trench. That got shelved after an imperfection was found on the Acrylic sphere. Bearing in mind they had built the sub, the truly massive support vessel and done bags of testing.

He is on his way to California and will arrive this morning. One thing is for certain it is going to be a very long time in investigation before they will attempt another flight.

Apparently, they used a different fuel mix.

Sad about the pilot of course but that's why these guys get paid the big money.

Sir Richard Branson has vowed to continue his space tourism venture despite the fatal crash of a Virgin Galactic rocket ship in the US.

Mr Branson, founder of the Virgin Group and a long-time advocate of commercial space travel, said he was "shocked and saddened" but would "persevere".

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-29861259