Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do parallel universes actually exist ?

UM-Bot

Physicists have put forward a new theory that ties quantum physics to the concept of parallel universes.

The idea that there are a limitless number of alternative versions of our universe running alongside ours in which every possible permutation of events has occurred is something that has existed almost exclusively in the realms of science fiction.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...-actually-exist

• Like 3

Where is a parallel universe when I need it.

• Like 3

Just trying to see what is new about this? :unsure2::no:

Exactly.The Many Worlds Theory and others similar, have existed from the early years of quantum mechanics.

• Like 1

"All possibilities are therefore realized – in some universes the dinosaur-killing asteroid missed Earth. In others, Australia was colonized by the Portuguese."

And by extension, in some universe Portuguese dinosaurs colonized Australia which was then hit by an asteroid.

• Like 4

What is new here, is the supposition that the many different universes are essentially classical, that they influence one another, and through a sort of 'probabilistic repulsion' create all quantum indeterminacy, which would account for all the differences between them.

This should make it possible to test the many worlds hypothesis. It may also allow the long-sought unification of gravity, which is currently defined by relativity theory, with quantum mechanics. At present the two are incompatible, which shows that our picture of reality is somehow incorrect.

Edited by bison
  • Like 1

Actually Gravity is defined simply as the force that attracts a body towards any other body having mass. You can actually remove Spacetime from the entire posit and it would still be correct. If relativity is correct in that Gravity is NOT a Force but a consequence of bending of Spacetime then the unification of Gravity with other real forces becomes something of a Philosophers Stone: trying to make an "Effect" into a "Force" . It cannot be done.

• Like 2

"All possibilities are therefore realized – in some universes the dinosaur-killing asteroid missed Earth. In others, Australia was colonized by the Portuguese."

Absolutely ridiculous. These are examples of impossibilities and that is why they never happened - and never will.

Absolutely ridiculous. These are examples of impossibilities and that is why they never happened - and never will.

it doesn't matter if the asteroid hit or missed earth. the dinos were already dieing out.

Actually Gravity is defined simply as the force that attracts a body towards any other body having mass. You can actually remove Spacetime from the entire posit and it would still be correct. If relativity is correct in that Gravity is NOT a Force but a consequence of bending of Spacetime then the unification of Gravity with other real forces becomes something of a Philosophers Stone: trying to make an "Effect" into a "Force" . It cannot be done.

The Newtonian formulation of gravity is useful under many circumstances. Under rigorous testing, though, it was found to give a less accurate description of gravity than Relativity Theory. It appears that we are stuck with the problem of reconciling an effect with a force, however impossible that may seem to be. We believe that under conditions of the primordial universe, before 'symmetry breaking', that all the forces, including gravity were one. We simply need to arrive at a better understanding and description of such a unity.

• Like 2

Just a few days ago, a British scientist claimed that due to incredibly unlikely events, we were probably the only intelligent life in the universe. At the same time some well known astrophysicists and cosmologists have been trumpeting the 'not new' but highly tampered with many worlds theory, originally intended to explain the paradox of the double slit experiment and offer an alternative to the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics.

So, we now have a range of possibilities ranging from infinite yous and mes, to the equally unenviable situation that the human race is as good as it gets!

What happened to science and the scientific method? Thinking at the edge is okay but this recent wave of tabloid physics is out of control.

I used to enjoy reading theoretical physics, but I don't any longer. Remember the required empirical evidence needed to advance a theory? I guess we don't need it in this universe.

But at least we know who shot JFK! Everyone.

BTW, I don't like infinity. Too messy, complicated and takes too long to count to. Ciao.

• Like 2

This is different from the earlier ideas about parallel universes. In them whenever the universe was faced with a "quantum choice" the time line split into however many parallel universes were needed to not only accommodate every possibility but to also build in the odds of each. Thus if there was a million-to-one chance of a certain outcome, the time line would split into a million new universes, one for the outcome and a million for when it didn't happen.

Now we have what is both an undefined number of parallel universes and in effect only one, as they act on each other to produce the same result, but quickly settle back down to just a single universe going on its merry way. This is a good deal more "palatable" than the extravagant massive creation of new parallel universes every time, say, a uranium atom has to "decide" whether or not to decay (in effect in the old theory requiring the creation of a huge number of parallel universe every quantum moment of every decay-able atom in the universe). Not that palatability has anything to do with truth, but maybe it does.

• Like 3

Superb explanation, Frank. Thank you.

I'd like to think palatability does have something to do with the truth. Not because it would fit in our brains easier, but because nature always seems to, as do house pets and co-workers, act with the least possible expenditure of energy.

Oceam's Razor and its mathematically formalized Solomonoff's theory of inductive inference maintain that the simpler computable theories are more valid when computing the probability of the next observation. Without a means of falsification, I would think a simpler approach would be more elegant and appealing to most.

Not that elegance and appeal has anything to do with the truth...

• Like 1

Parallel Universes Colliding Could Explain Quantum Weirdness

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/parallel-universes-colliding-could-explain-quantum-weirdness

• Like 1

Exactly.The Many Worlds Theory and others similar, have existed from the early years of quantum mechanics.

This is different from the earlier ideas about parallel universes. In them whenever the universe was faced with a "quantum choice" the time line split into however many parallel universes were needed to not only accommodate every possibility but to also build in the odds of each. Thus if there was a million-to-one chance of a certain outcome, the time line would split into a million new universes, one for the outcome and a million for when it didn't happen.

Now we have what is both an undefined number of parallel universes and in effect only one, as they act on each other to produce the same result, but quickly settle back down to just a single universe going on its merry way. This is a good deal more "palatable" than the extravagant massive creation of new parallel universes every time, say, a uranium atom has to "decide" whether or not to decay (in effect in the old theory requiring the creation of a huge number of parallel universe every quantum moment of every decay-able atom in the universe). Not that palatability has anything to do with truth, but maybe it does.

It is a good explanation. thank you. Metaphysics has described this already. Nice to know real science is finally finding it.

Why is it ridiculous? Because it doesn't make sense or because you can't make sense of it. There are multiples of everything, there are even multiples of the exact same atom. So why not more than 1 verse? Just seems like that because you believe it couldn't happen, that you will discount proof that it is actually real. It has been proven on a small scale that it could very well exist.

• Like 1

Possibly true, regeneratia. However parallel colliding universes may also introduce an infinite number of additional weirdnesses.

String theory also claims to explain much of the quantum nature of reality. Most notably it allows for the coveted and long sought after co-existence of quantum theory and Einstein's General Theory of Relativity by eliminating the existence of singularities (I'd love that)!

But string theory comes with strings attached. Namely, it requires eleven dimensions of space-time, only four of which (the three traditional spacial dimensions and time) have been observed and measured. Without any empirical evidence of the remaining so called 'curled-up' spacial dimensions, it remains, as do many of these ideas, untested, not a viable theory.

Don't get me wrong, we need ideas and thinking outside the envelope so that science does not stagnate. But, ultimately there has to be falsifiable empirical observations and measurements to seriously consider any idea a valid scientific theory.

Anyway, I'm still working on understanding human weirdness.

Gotta go and study the inside of my eyelids...and dream of neutrinos dancing inside my head. Best to all.

Remember, an optimist looks at the world and says, "it doesn't get any better than this!"

A pessimist fears he is correct.

• Like 2

It is a good explanation. thank you. Metaphysics has described this already. Nice to know real science is finally finding it.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
  • Like 1

I don't know that "science" is finding anything metaphysical. That strikes me as grasping at straws.

Why is it ridiculous? Because it doesn't make sense or because you can't make sense of it. There are multiples of everything, there are even multiples of the exact same atom. So why not more than 1 verse? Just seems like that because you believe it couldn't happen, that you will discount proof that it is actually real. It has been proven on a small scale that it could very well exist.

Weird theories surround the weird behaviour of quantum observations, that is all, im not saying the theory isnt interesting i just remain unconvinced so far.

Simply by saying, "there are multiples of everything", doesnt prove one ounce of truth, it is ridiculous to assert this claim more so than it is for me to not believe it.

Is the appeal of parallel universes the notion that we have a logical and spiritual rationale that may explain the emergence of sentient intelligence, as well as perhaps provide a sense of personal identity if not immortality? Yet, the observed world seems to reflect a brutality that perhaps better embraces something akin to the other "side" of a black hole as the birth of a "big bang" in yet another universe and "best of luck" to the probabilistic emergence of a parallel sentient life form. I wonder if the point of convergence between elegant philosophical speculation and scientific reality will be expressed as simply as Newton's three laws.

if your a scientist and you have no idea how something came into existence you say it evolved or there are an infinite number of universes lol

Ever permutation, every conceivable and inconceivable universe is existing right now. There is a universe where I am a thumb. Just a thumb. There is a universe where people have their noses on the backside of their heads. There is a universe where *******s are really *******s. I like that universe the best. The *******s cannot speak because **** keeps coming out of their orifices.

Forget a time machine. I need a dimension shifting machine. Hmm, I think today I shift into the dimension where I exist as a great, powerful mountain, just for kicks.

if parallel universes exist and everything that could be done is done. then it doesn't matter hat we do right or wrong because we did both. thus i don't think there are multi-universes just one.