Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"Interstellar"

DONTEATUS

I'm gonna stay here, seems like those people are much more fun!

• Like 1

But you guys alway fail to say what it was that you liked it so much in the movie. Was it the short pathetic space scenes that media said were better than Kubrick's "2001"? Or when they go the the fantastic wormhole and all you see is their faces and their fingers pushing the buttons? Or maybe the long close ups of that docking in space? Or polluting the world in order to get in touch with supreme being? Or playing baseball and herding cows in space? What? C'mon tell me...

But you guys alway fail to say what it was that you liked it so much in the movie. Was it the short pathetic space scenes that media said were better than Kubrick's "2001"? Or when they go the the fantastic wormhole and all you see is their faces and their fingers pushing the buttons? Or maybe the long close ups of that docking in space? Or polluting the world in order to get in touch with supreme being? Or playing baseball and herding cows in space? What? C'mon tell me...

I didn't think the movie was perfect, and I am by no means a movie critic, but overall I really really enjoyed it and I will try to explain below:

Please note: Spoilers below, read at your own risk!

-The references to 2001 a Space Odyssey. I can't speak for the critics, but I don't think any of the scenes were better than 2001, and I don't think Nolan was trying to improve on 2001. In fact, I think he payed homage to it and I adored that.

-The acting, the young Actress who played Murph did exceptionally well, as did older Murph. Also, McConaughey did an excellent job too. The scene where he is watching twenty plus years of footage was so emotional.

-The fact that he didn't fall for the evil robot approach that so many movies do.

-I really enjoyed the themes of "Looking up at the sky vs. Keeping your eyes on the ground."

-The concept of time moving at a different pace on various planets and how real those repercussions were.

-Matt Damon's cameo, and how surprising/enjoyable it was.

As I said, its not perfect, and this is only my opinion.

• Like 1

Hey look I'm also not a movie critic I was just taken aback that someone could take some real horrible, ubiquitous problem like pollution and handle it in such a (stupid) way with supernatural powers resolving it. I mean OMG imagine if someone made "Interstellar" in 1980's but instead of pollution put in AIDS? Especially since for both those religious movements consider it to be from God himself and predicted in the Bible.

But as I see people don't care and can swallow it to enjoy something in the movie and I also wished I found, but like I said even for space scenes I felt cheated out, so I really have to stop talking about it.

Hey look I'm also not a movie critic I was just taken aback that someone could take some real horrible, ubiquitous problem like pollution and handle it in such a (stupid) way with supernatural powers resolving it. I mean OMG imagine if someone made "Interstellar" in 1980's but instead of pollution put in AIDS? Especially since for both those religious movements consider it to be from God himself and predicted in the Bible.

But as I see people don't care and can swallow it to enjoy something in the movie and I also wished I found, but like I said even for space scenes I felt cheated out, so I really have to stop talking about it.

How did you feel cheated by the space scenes? Like specifically, what were you expecting.

I also didn't think it was too heavy handed with the environment bits. And I'm not sure I can follow your comparison with HIV. It makes sense that we could one day alter our planet so greatly it makes it impossible for us to live on it.

• Like 1

Sure, I compare it to HIV because it is a real horrible thing (just like pollution) and during a long period in the '80s people did nothing to prevent it and mostly ignored it and imagine if that trend continued till today, but people started acting and partially because of movies.

It's like there was a movie in the 80s about AIDS where let's say in the movie 90% of people has AIDS and they all do nothing to find a cure or prevent it but instead some guy starts getting supernatural messages and goes to space to meet God to bring messages to the people trough the love he has with his daughter. So he comes back trough resurrection and finds out that 1% of people survived. The ones that listened to his message and they don't have AIDS because there is love and there is sex. Love is pure and sex is sin and those who followed the path of love and commandments survived and finally society is purified and will live forever.

Same with pollution - so what if there are of millions of people that are dying from it every year, that can't even breathe the clean air, that have cancers - because there is love and that' bigger feeling then humans themselves, that's Godlike and certainly the universe will not stand and let those kind of beings die! No there is a special place for those especially for corn growing, baseball playing, bible reading Americans they are the chosen ones.

Edited by promKing

Now were driving over the cliff in that T-Bird with Thelma& Louise ! AIDS the Bible, Sin , Religion ,super natural effect,Movies, All part of our world. We take of it what one wants,& maybe believes or not !

I for one think that mankind will given the chance evolve some day past all that B.S. thats Religions ,desease`s and Belief systems that pull mankind into the trash. ANd Real Peace and world like minded people just might have a chance at out survival ! Until then Lets All go to the Movies ! Kiss ,make Love not wars,learn how to fix the sick people of this Planet !

• Like 1

Just watched this movie last night online. Quite slow in the beginning but picked up with some nice twist and turns. I absolutely loved it and cannot wait to catch it on DVD.

All I can say is,

Alright, alright, alright! ;)

Edited by StRoostifer
  • Like 1

movie was ok... better than gravity but meh give me some event horizon now thats the kind of fun i need in movies :D

• Like 1

movie was ok... better than gravity but meh give me some event horizon now thats the kind of fun i need in movies :D

Absolutely LOVE Event Horizon! Sci-fi horror is the best. You have good taste man. :tu:

• Like 1

Absolutely LOVE Event Horizon! Sci-fi horror is the best. You have good taste man. :tu:

ev2.gif?w=660

wish sam neill played more parts like this he did so freaking well.

• Like 1

ev2.gif?w=660

wish sam neill played more parts like this he did so freaking well.

No kidding. Who would have thought Merlin could pull off evil so well? ;) Neil is a hell of an actor. Liked his performance in Daybreakers too but Event Horizon was just nuts!

Need more sci-fi movies to be of the horror kind and rated R, not the pg13 crap.

• Like 1

as much as i don't care for ethan hawke that was a good movie too. and yeah im sick of this pg, pg 13 crap need more awesomeness like starship troopers and 12 monkeys and blade runner. i don't know what happened after the 80's and mid 90's but ugh it's like we get a handful every 5 or 6 years and that's it what happened to movies like this why don't we have squibs anymore why is it all cgi digital crap?

• Like 2

as much as i don't care for ethan hawke that was a good movie too. and yeah im sick of this pg, pg 13 crap need more awesomeness like starship troopers and 12 monkeys and blade runner. i don't know what happened after the 80's and mid 90's but ugh it's like we get a handful every 5 or 6 years and that's it what happened to movies like this why don't we have squibs anymore why is it all cgi digital crap?

I didn't see a single window break despite those rounds appearing to go right through Kinney. You got to have a little suspension of critical analysis to enjoy a movie like that.

One more I have to mention is the movie Sunshine. Not as ****ed up and creepy as Event Horizon but IMO, a damn good movie. Now that its on my mind I think I'll have to watch that on Friday at some point.

• Like 1

Event horizon needs a remake

• Like 1

Event horizon needs a remake

Not sure a remake could equal the original, BUT, some kind of a continuation from the original could be done with the right cast and story line. I think a remake would bring about the old "been there, done that" from fans.

Seeing as how Anderson's Resident Evil has obviously run its course, maybe he should look into some kind of a sequel to EH.