Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Back to the Future' fans rejoice

BiffSplitkins

The more your knees quiver, the more the 90 pound board you're perched on, floating above a pillow of air, seems about to shoot out from under your feet. A high-pitched engine scream bounces from the sheet of copper as you swivel and glide your way a few feet forward. This is hoverboarding.

http://phys.org/news/2014-11-startup-hoverboards-reality.html

Edited by Saru
Fixed link, removed copyrighted image
  • Like 3

Only works for 15 minutes on a metal surface, the arcade people are going to love it, because that will be the only place you can use one.

• Like 1

Maybe the batteries will last longer if they don't try to run it on 1.21 Gigawatts of power. :P

• Like 3

Great post Biff (how fitting ;) ) and thanks for sharing...

But haven't we seen hoverboards in contained areas before?

I still want to have a go though. :)

• Like 2

The only place you'll these are in skate stations cus they'd be a perfect place to ride them but the truth is I wouldn't wanna ride something for 15 minutes just to have to wait hours while it charges just to ride it again also only working on metal means you can never ride it outside unless they start making roads out of metal which will never happen

• Like 1

A real hoverboard is in fact, quite possible. Google Labs had started on one years ago, but abandoned it because: it's not a practical method of travel.

This will be the new "must have" item for the Rich and Bored. Metal hover board rinks will be built. Instead of Roller Derby, you'll have Hover Derby. The wave of the future!

• Like 2

This will be the new "must have" item for the Rich and Bored. Metal hover board rinks will be built. Instead of Roller Derby, you'll have Hover Derby. The wave of the future!

And all at .001 miles per hour.

• Like 1

This is heavy

Brilliant :tu:

But I think the opposite applies for this one. ;)

Am I the only one seeing something bigger than a rich kids toy here. I mean there must be more potential for this somewhere? Could you imagine a car that uses this technology? An electric vehicle that runs off a biofuel generator, which would be similar to a personal electromagnetic train.

Am I the only one seeing something bigger than a rich kids toy here. I mean there must be more potential for this somewhere? Could you imagine a car that uses this technology? An electric vehicle that runs off a biofuel generator, which would be similar to a personal electromagnetic train.

Well it is mentioned in the second paragraph of the article...

Like the Maglev train though, this is still very expensive technology and limited to run on a particular surface. IMO the train is probably more practical as you do not have to worry about veering of in any direction. I think this technology would be more practical in a warehouse and distribution environment than as a personal transportation solution.

• Like 2

I think this technology would be more practical in a warehouse and distribution environment than as a personal transportation solution.

Would be nice to be able to just glide some 800 pound piece of equipment around.

• Like 2

Dam and so close to christmas to.

• Like 1

And the timing is just too perfect. Makes me go hmm. Did somebody know something the rest of us didn't in 1985? There is no such thing as a staggering coincidence. So what does that mean?

And the timing is just too perfect. Makes me go hmm. Did somebody know something the rest of us didn't in 1985? There is no such thing as a staggering coincidence. So what does that mean?

it means that if you spend your dough on this hoverboard, you'll end up with two Hands full of manure.....

• Like 1

"It has not been peer reviewed and there is no proof that it even exists, this so called "hover board" is not in scientific text books what- so- ever, it's a hoax and the video is fake. The producers dubious well known hoaxers, and you are totally delusional, I can't believe you would post such crap"

"Produce some solid evidence like a home made version which can be tested and scrutinized"

- just being facetious !

Edited by Starhunter

awesome, except government controls technology, until the end of petroleum and the release of the orbital engine if ever, goes along with my designs but you would have to coat all the roads with an insulator which tires can't grip and if the hover car runs off the specialized road be careful, bio-electric field amplifier is safer. But that's on another time dimension.

"It has not been peer reviewed and there is no proof that it even exists, this so called "hover board" is not in scientific text books what- so- ever, it's a hoax and the video is fake. The producers dubious well known hoaxers, and you are totally delusional, I can't believe you would post such crap"

"Produce some solid evidence like a home made version which can be tested and scrutinized"

- just being facetious !

"But I KNOW that it works! I rode one to work the other day! my uncle built it in his barn, and he's working on a full scale version for his truck! It's the same tech THEY use in space ships! But it doesn't work like in scientific text books. We don't want it to be peer reviewed and scrutinized because normal-boring-old-fart-scientists wouldn't get it, anyway. And it will never leave the barn because otherwise we might get in trouble with the Government/ Big companies / Aliens/ Marty McFly's ghost !!!"

- just being facetious ! (and a bit unoriginal ;) )

• Like 1