Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Russian jamming tech paralylizes US destroyer

SolarPlexus

US-Russian incident

What frightened the USS Donald Cook so much in the Black Sea?

http://www.voltairen...icle185860.html

The State Department acknowledged that the crew of the destroyer USS Donald Cook has been gravely demoralized ever since their vessel was flown over in the Black Sea by a Russian Sukhoi-24 (Su-24) fighter jet which carried neither bombs nor missiles but only an electronic warfare device.

The US destroyer is equipped with the most recent Aegis Combat System. It is an integrated naval weapons systems which can link together the missile defense systems of all vessels embedded within the same network, so as to ensure the detection, tracking and destruction of hundreds of targets at the same time. In addition, the USS Donald Cook is equipped with 4 large radars, whose power is comparable to that of several stations.

As the Russian jet approached the US vessel, the electronic device disabled all radars, control circuits, systems, information transmission, etc. on board the US destroyer.

The Russian Su-24 then simulated a missile attack against the USS Donald Cook, which was left literally deaf and blind. As if carrying out a training exercise, the Russian aircraft - unarmed - repeated the same maneuver 12 times before flying away.

After that, the 4th generation destroyer immediately set sail towards a port in Romania.

• Like 1

******* hell that's amazing

• Like 1

So 1 plane can wreck a destroyer 12 times over before they know whats going on? xD

• Like 2

Well we don't actually know they jammed the Destroyers systems, because such information is never going to be confirmed or made public. Its highly likely that in a war situation the Russian plane would have been shot down long before it got in range to use its soft kill systems.

• Like 2

So now they can design countermeasures against it.

Begs the question is to why they let the US know they have it in a peacetime situation and not keep it secret for surprise and maximum effect in a possible war.

Destroyers are so computerized that I am sure they will be able to review the data and see exactly what was knocked out and how.

• Like 2

Well we don't actually know they jammed the Destroyers systems, because such information is never going to be confirmed or made public.

Perphaps but what we *do* know, is that 27 sailors from the USS Donald Cook requested to be relieved from active service after the incident :D

Guess it doesn't feel too good to float dead in the water while getting wrecked ... Think those sailors want to spend their lives differently now :)

Edited by SolarPlexus
  • Like 1

Begs the question is to why they let the US know they have it in a peacetime situation and not keep it secret for surprise and maximum effect in a possible war.

Muscle flexing.

this is Russia saying " do you really want to mess with us ? Sending 1 unarmed aircraft to shut down a destroyer seems like a demonstration :D

Destroyers are so computerized that I am sure they will be able to review the data and see exactly what was knocked out and how.

Yup however the more complicated system is , the easier it is to jam it :D

Edited by SolarPlexus

Mad much bmk ? :D

Edited by SolarPlexus

Yep.... sounds like utter BS to me.

I particularly find this entry in the OP ridiculous:

As the Russian jet approached the US vessel, the electronic device disabled all radars, control circuits, systems, information transmission, etc. on board the US destroyer. In other words, the all-powerful Aegis system, now hooked up - or about to be - with the defense systems installed on NATO’s most modern ships was shut down, as turning off the TV set with the remote control
Edited by keithisco
  • Like 3

Mad much bmk ? :D

Nope...

According to my sources (I can't disclose), Russian army bought 120000 packages of diapers, 'cause Russian military guys started to soil themselves as USS Donald Cook entered Black Sea... Thats true, I swear... fingers crossed.

• Like 4

Perphaps but what we *do* know, is that 27 sailors from the USS Donald Cook requested to be relieved from active service after the incident

No we dont but "we" know that the whole story was made up by RIA Nowosti, so file closed.

• Like 2

This reminds me of

usa_vs_russia.jpg

Edited by qxcontinuum
  • Like 3

This reminds me of

usa_vs_russia.jpg

the Americans in the picture are learning to work as a team. i could probable carry that log like the lady, all it takes is balance.

I am sure the US military are hating this situation.

I mean just think of all billions of dollars they will now receive to research and develop countermeasures for this wonder weapon.

• Like 1

I mean just think of all billions of dollars they will now receive to research and develop countermeasures for this wonder weapon.

YEah... expensive and fancy stuff.... like when the US went to space, they've spent billions on a zero gravity ball pen. Russians on the other hand just brought wooden pencils :D

So I'm guessing the counter to US counter to this will be pudding or pirogi pies then :D

Edited by SolarPlexus
  • Like 1

This reminds me of

usa_vs_russia.jpg

Lol!

This reminds me of

usa_vs_russia.jpg

She's just used to hauling her overweight drunk husband home and to bed.

• Like 3

Another hater of America hunting and pecking for any strand of information that casts aspersions and doubt on the U. S. Military. The greatest military on Earth, by far. I wonder how many of these anti US folks would be begging for it's military's protection if the Russians invaded their homeland. The American military is the last line of defense, and the only active adversary of the tyrants, fascists, and evil doers in this world. We are overtaxed and overburdened because of the apathy and little brother mentality of the rest of the civilized countries on Earth. They always look to us to solve the problems with villains such as Putin, Hussein, ISIS, Assad, etc. It's not enough for the haters, they are the victim-hood proponents, and hate the strong. So go drink some more U.S. haterade you punks. Just Jealous!

• Like 2

That is one of the reasons why this story is BS: giving opportunity to learn about capabilities of your system, and, consequentially, giving opportunity to your rivals to develop similar systems/countermeasures, is stupid, even by Russian standards...
  • Like 2

Something doesn't sound right about this story.

I thought that an Aegis-class destroyer has "hardened" electronics and other technologies to prevent total jamming.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

Something doesn't sound right about this story.

I thought that an Aegis-class destroyer has "hardened" electronics and other technologies to prevent total jamming.

the story does say it is new tech. when you put out new tech, you don't always know all of its weakness. in this case we could have asked the russians to do this, to see our weaknesses and their strengths.

Yes it's computerized as hell, like someone said. However the more a radio-electronic system is complex, the easier it is to disable it through the use of electronic warfare :)

... villains such as Putin,...

1451398_577274285671115_79650845_n.jpg

Edited by SolarPlexus
  • Like 2

Yea i call BS. If this did happen it would be an act of war and the Ship would be well with in its rights to self defence. Given that if it did happen they would have no way to communicate to NATO or US Command they would have to engage the ship and they could still engage the fighter.