Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Will cats ever be as domesticated as dogs ?

UM-Bot

Been a dog person, now Im a cat person :D have both

AS I see it :

1) dogs bond with people, cats bond with places

2) dogs require more responsibility and obligation, cats are nearly self-sufficient/independent

3) your dog would follow you to hell , and die for you, my cat would probably watch me die, then urinate on my corpse :D

4) dogs are somewhat more domesticated

Edited by SolarPlexus
  • Like 1

semi-domesticated......what a word

either cats are tame or they are not.

cats will never reach the level of dogs loyalty, simply because they are different species.

Edited by woopypooky
  • Like 1

We have 2 "puppy-kitties" that were raised around my beagles and do some dog stuff but they are still predators and only do "dog stuff" when they feel like it and never when we are trying to show to show it off to friends.

This is great fun.

I rescued a Siamese kitten 3 years ago (my profile pic) and wow. I've had dogs and cats and I adore both, but this cat is AMAZING. She's loyal, all over me when she's awake and always wanting to do something. Whether it's sitting on my lap while I brush her or getting me to engage in some sort of game.

She also does tricks, "Give me five" and she slaps my hand, "Lie down and roll over" and will go into her scratch box when I say "cat nip". Smartest little thing on the planet, I think.

All animals are great if you give them a chance.

LG, BRAVO! Love your story. You have a life long friend. :clap::tu:

• Like 1

I love dogs, but have a hard time respecting, or wanting to share my space with an animal that pays no attention to where it sh()ts.

I admire the differences in the traits of our fur kids, all strays that found me. My pooch is loyal and loveable and was easily trainable as he loves to please and will do anything for a treat. My 2 cats are independent and extremely intelligent and can be just as loveable, but on their own terms, not mine. Anyone who has ever been owned by a cat will tell you that there's always going to be a wild side to their feline furball. They're too smart to let us take that out of them...

• Like 1

lol! well done :D

this study is totally wrong I've had dogs my entire life I never wanted a cat 3 years ago someone gave me a cat and I ended up keeping it my cat follows me around everywhere I go if I move you she moves with me just like all my dogs have in the past she even sleeps on the floor next to my bed on a pillow just like all my dogs used to she even listens to me by pointing at something and making a noise with my mouth and she realizes I want her to go there or move there or do something I basically raised her like a dog because I've only ever had dogs my whole life in my honest opinion she's just as domesticated as a dog is I don't know where these scientists got their information but they're obviously wrong

I grew up to cats. I really thing it's different on a personality basis. Just like humans. I think that is the same with dogs. And horses. Which ever, your post reminds me of kind of my situation, but reversed. We have had three cats, until we ended getting a Golden Retriever. He pretty much acts like a cat half the time.

With my three, they are so different. The only male cat is so affectionate and so domesticated, I agree whole heartily on your assessment. The two female are just as different.

My cat taught my dog to alert to one of my health issues. When my wife was dying she never left her side. After she died the cat spent a lot of time comforting us like she understood how devastated we were. Dogs great, they are servants, but cats are friends. I don't care if they aren't' domesticated, that is not the point of friendship.

Our dog and our three cats have instantly come to my side, when I am down. I really don't think it's a cat vs dog domestication thing. They are all different, and they all are quite capable in being there like they care a lot.

The only really negative thing I have to say about my cats is that they are blood thirsty vicious little things eager to tear to shreds anything smaller than they are. Otherwise they are charming and affectionate and clean.

I have come to realize that we cannot have flowers in vases. They are tipped over, broken, and water all over the table and the floor.

i'm glad my cat isn't domesticated.

she spends most of her time attacking me, from outta nowhere, like a cute, fur-covered, psychotic Kato.

a lot of relationships fail because one partner is too 'clingy'-

not so the ones where 'clingy' equates to 'stuck to the side of your face with sharp little claws'.....

Your post kind of reminds me of this:

• Like 1

I grew up to cats. I really thing it's different on a personality basis. Just like humans. I think that is the same with dogs. And horses. Which ever, your post reminds me of kind of my situation, but reversed. We have had three cats, until we ended getting a Golden Retriever. He pretty much acts like a cat half the time.

With my three, they are so different. The only male cat is so affectionate and so domesticated, I agree whole heartily on your assessment. The two female are just as different.

Our dog and our three cats have instantly come to my side, when I am down. I really don't think it's a cat vs dog domestication thing. They are all different, and they all are quite capable in being there like they care a lot.

I have come to realize that we cannot have flowers in vases. They are tipped over, broken, and water all over the table and the floor.

Your post kind of reminds me of this:

yes, SDR (is that right? I don't know how to abbreviate your name?!), she's just like that- but more viciouserer.

No3 on that link you posted though was 'how to hide a fart in public'

why would you want to?

hide it, I mean.......

Cats are wonderful, sensitive creatures, but they don't live long if you don't keep them indoors and are a terror to the local birds. Fortunately my house is many stories with lots of balconies and elevated places (cats prefer to look down on you). I think a female should be allowed one litter and then sterilized; males should not be allowed even that as so many of them pick up the habit of spraying if they are not caught and sterilized early. In the end the animal is happier without the drive of the reproductive instinct leading it to self-destructive behavior. Probably people would be too but that is a different issue.

If you are going to have ornamental carp (as I do) and various kinds of birds around, special rules are needed, and sometimes cats who have decided for whatever reason they don't like another cat has to be persuaded to behave (I use water pistols for this sort of thing -- they learn to associate a wet face with doing something bad and not with me).

Domestic animals -- both cats and dogs -- should not be given human food but instead food made especially for them (its a bit expensive to get good quality food that way but the reward in terms of energy and thick coats and clear eyes and long lives is worth it). They must also have good water -- not tap water but the same hard mineral water we drink, and have access to a constantly clean litter box. Of course dogs need to be allowed space to run and frolic, something dangerous in Vietnam where dog nappers are about holding pets for ransom and selling them to dog restaurants if a ransom is not forthcoming. That means a private, well fenced yard if one is to have dogs.

• Like 1

Frank, you live in a menagerie. All that I know about this little male tom, Bones, is that is that he's fearless.

I've seen him face down, or chase away as well as 'go ninja cat' (if challenged, never harming) on every dog that was on my porch long before he was. He didn't give them a reason to chase him. Now he gives them head bumps and rubs.

'Max', the oldest and largest dog (about 150 lbs.) that comes for a visit gives him allll the room he wants and still checks him out first when Max comes in.

Max: *tail wag*

Bones: *head bump*

I love dogs, but have a hard time respecting, or wanting to share my space with an animal that pays no attention to where it sh()ts.

Ever since my Cat started to get better he's done everything outside.

Edit: He had a litter box for a few weeks and has never used it since.

Edited by Likely Guy

yes, SDR (is that right? I don't know how to abbreviate your name?!),

Cool! Yeah, SDR will do just fine!
she's just like that- but more viciouserer.

No3 on that link you posted though was 'how to hide a fart in public'

why would you want to?

hide it, I mean.......

:huh::rofl::lol: Oh, I didn't realize he had other videos. I should have known. You remind me of my husband. :tu:

(cats prefer to look down on you).

That is so true!!!!
I think a female should be allowed one litter and then sterilized; males should not be allowed even that as so many of them pick up the habit of spraying if they are not caught and sterilized early. In the end the animal is happier without the drive of the reproductive instinct leading it to self-destructive behavior. Probably people would be too but that is a different issue.
My family, growing up, actually did that to one of our cats. Now, I was thinking, maybe not such a good idea, because close to after the mother being fixed, she ended up getting sick and passing away. But, now I remember, she got sick due to something that was around the area. I am not sure if this is correct, but there was 'cat leukemia' and you never see cats live in the area because of it. In fact, another cat we had, we found his body curled up in the shed one day. We had no idea he was sick. That devastated my mother, she adored him so much. We all did. We never had another cat since then.
If you are going to have ornamental carp (as I do) and various kinds of birds around, special rules are needed, and sometimes cats who have decided for whatever reason they don't like another cat has to be persuaded to behave (I use water pistols for this sort of thing -- they learn to associate a wet face with doing something bad and not with me).

Domestic animals -- both cats and dogs -- should not be given human food but instead food made especially for them (its a bit expensive to get good quality food that way but the reward in terms of energy and thick coats and clear eyes and long lives is worth it). They must also have good water -- not tap water but the same hard mineral water we drink, and have access to a constantly clean litter box. Of course dogs need to be allowed space to run and frolic, something dangerous in Vietnam where dog nappers are about holding pets for ransom and selling them to dog restaurants if a ransom is not forthcoming. That means a private, well fenced yard if one is to have dogs.

I agree. My daughter, the animal science degree holder, also says making sure you kept with the same food or they will get 'ill'.

I'm a cat guy but I don't really think of cats as domesticated. I wouldn't own a 100 pound cat no matter what the breed. I'd be lunch.

Dog - pack animal

Cat - opportunist

• Like 1