Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bigfoot put forward as 'endangered species'

UM-Bot

A motel operator in New York State is seeking to have Bigfoot added to a local endangered species list.

Despite the controversy surrounding the Bigfoot phenomenon and the fact that Sasquatch has never even been recognized as a real creature, one man has taken it upon himself to fight for the right to have the hairy hominid protected as an endangered species.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/274998/bigfoot-put-forward-as-endangered-species

I think its a good idea. If Sasquatch doesn't exist the law doesn't hurt anything. If on the off chance it does, endangered species protection law may prevent anyone from shooting what could be a very endangered species.

Let's go ahead and waste more time adding other things that don't exist like mothman, unicorns, werewolves, elves and danish people as endangered while we're at it.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1
  • Like 6

Let's go ahead and waste more time adding other things that don't exist like mothman, unicorns, werewolves, elves and danish people as endangered while we're at it.

Naive statement parade beginning.

Edited by Tira
  • Like 1

Though unlikely, at least it's possible that a creature such as Sasquatch exists. Especially some of the evidence, one being a mid-tarsel break in some of the footprints, along with dermal ridges that are impossible to fake.

Anyway, to put Bigfoot in the category of elves and werewolves sounds silly. I never thought of the creature as an unknown ape, but more of a human sub-specie with undefined lineage to modern man. I believe few if any are left, perhaps the last was Patty filmed in 1967. And I believe some bones in fact have been found, human bones to be exact since they are human. Anyway I'm here to speculate and not argue. But what this guy is proposing seems like a fantastic idea. It should become a federal law as well.

• Like 2

Not going to happen unless someone can prove its existence.

Don't bet on it. We're talking about politicians. If there's a vote or money in it, the law will pass. Let's do one for the Yeti as well!
  • Like 1

Sure, lets let a Government agency spend money on this....Like our tax's are not wasted enough.

• Like 1

Oh dear, so when I finally find bigfoot, there is no chance of getting him stuffed and stuck on the roof of my boat.....darn!!!

• Like 1

Well then, why not put dragons on the endangered list while we are at it.

Hardly ever see one of them so they must be endangered, right?

• Like 3

Well then, why not put dragons on the endangered list while we are at it.

Hardly ever see one of them so they must be endangered, right?

Apparently one poster thinks this is a naive attitude to take, personally I think its a perfectly logical thing to say, considering the circumstances and content in the OP. :yes:

• Like 1

Illegal Aliens, they need to be put on the list.......They will soon be endangered.

• Like 4

Illegal Aliens, they need to be put on the list.......They will soon be endangered.

They sure will be, the way we are dishing out British passports. :cry:

• Like 2

Well with the number of sightings across the US and Canada numbering in the thousands that doesn't really indicate an endangered species. You can't have it both ways. Either there are a lot of Biff's to account for all of the sightings or the veracity of the sightings are called into question.

Wrong Quotes

Edited by ColoradoParanormal

Sure, lets let a Government agency spend money on this....Like our tax's are not wasted enough.

THESE are the quotes I meant... Not sure why it posted the others! Anyway, you my dear friend have captured my thoughts and exactly what I wanted to comment on perfect!

I think its a good idea. If Sasquatch doesn't exist the law doesn't hurt anything. If on the off chance it does, endangered species protection law may prevent anyone from shooting what could be a very endangered species.

Or a hoaxer in a ghillie suit.
  • Like 1

I do recall reading on one site, this one so called expert, who does a number of podcasts contended that the reason the government won't admit they know about Bigfoot is for fear that the creature would indeed be considered endangered and suddenly throw the US economy into chaos because timber harvesting would have to cease, thereby destroying new housing construction.....and so on. To a degree I can see where they are coming from however, there are far too many other materials from which to build housing. They would be most expensive at first but as the demand increased then mass production would kick in and competition would drive the price down.

I thought it was an interesting theory, but one that really falls apart when you take it apart.

I do recall reading on one site, this one so called expert, who does a number of podcasts contended that the reason the government won't admit they know about Bigfoot is for fear that the creature would indeed be considered endangered and suddenly throw the US economy into chaos because timber harvesting would have to cease, thereby destroying new housing construction.....and so on. To a degree I can see where they are coming from however, there are far too many other materials from which to build housing. They would be most expensive at first but as the demand increased then mass production would kick in and competition would drive the price down.

I thought it was an interesting theory, but one that really falls apart when you take it apart.

That is a dumb excuse......

Known things ( protected ) did not kill the economy.....

The Spotted Owl for one......They could have hid that also, but did not, and it did not kill anything.

Ethics and the Spotted Owl Controversy

By Claire Andre and Manuel Velasquez

For hundreds of years, a handsome, dark-brown owl with white spots has made its home in the lush, "old-growth" forests of the Pacific Northwest. Under the multilayered canopies of these 200-year-old forests, the owl, known as the northern spotted owl, has fed off the rich plant and invertebrate life created by decaying timber and has nested in the cavities of old trunks. But the towering cedars, firs, hemlocks, and spruces which have served as the owl's habitat, also have become a primary source of timber for a multi-billion dollar logging industry. Over the last 150 years, as a result of heavy logging, these ancient forests have dwindled. Only about 10% of the forests remain, most on federally owned lands. And as the forests have dwindled, so too has the number of spotted owls. Biologists estimate that only 2,000 pairs survive today.

http://www.scu.edu/ethics/publications/iie/v4n1/homepage.html

Edited by Sakari

To ask that a known species, in recognized decline, be put on the "endangered species list" is one thing, but to ask for an unproven species or unproven sub-species to share that official designation is ridiculous.

• Like 1

But do we really need the "government" to admit something for it to be real?

What if tomorrow the government scrubbed every single reference to the existence of grizzly bears out of existence? Would they still exist?