Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

At least 14 students of Toong Integrated School in the mountain barangay of Toong, Cebu City were allegedly possessed by evil spirits yesterday noon.

Most of the affected students were brought to Msgr. Frederick Kriekenbeek, who is known to perform exorcism, at the Mary's Little Children Community in Tabunok, Talisay City.

Barangay Toong councilman Milven Bacalso said 12 students, mostly high school, were brought to Kriekenbeek upon the advice of the parish priest of the nearby Buhisan Shrine.

http://www.philstar....dents-possessed

• Like 1

14 students "want attention"

Sound more like the 'parish priest' wanted attention.

• Like 3

What prompted such a conclusion ?

" One student claimed to have seen a little child, panicked and fainted. Those who helped said they saw the same and likewise fainted. Nagkatag-katag na until it became mass hysteria,”

I wonder if they checked what the child looked like ... baby Jesus ? Then it would have been a miracle. .... " Nagkatag-katag na " ???

This 'spreading infection' ('mass-hysteria ) is a typical symptom of a 'diamonic event' similar has happened in the USA with a 'mysterious disease' which was considered , by professionals, as a psychosomatic spreading disorder ( oh ... now it is all explained 'scientifically' <dusts hands off and walks away feeling accomplished and self-assured ;) >

Love this bit :

“As a traditional practice, holy water is used in defense from the devil. This is to bless themselves and protect from sorts of evil. This is not implying something magical but more of calling upon God’s protection,” Tan continued.

People have been practicing that type of 'magic' and calling on their god's assistance for some time now. ... like for 1000s of years !

This however may explain it all : " “Nagsugod ni mga ala una sa hapon. Naay usa nagsugod ug kasudlan dayon nagtakod-takod na. Una namong gitawag ang pari sa Buhisan Shrine pero ingon siya di niya kaya ang sitwasyon. Siya maoy nag suggest nga adto namo dad-on kang Msgr. Kriekenbeek,” Bacalso told The Freeman.

:D

Edited by back to earth
  • Like 2

Again it is a case of a bunch of gullible children who obviously do not have enough work to do during the day ; this is why they make up this garbage so they can get out of class or whatever.

I agree that their tv and computer time should be curtailed and instead given more homework and daily chores to do. That will cure this stupidity right up.

• Like 1

maybe it's the spiritual equivalent to a snow day...

Why "mass hysteria"? Is this a documented phenomenon in the annals of psychiatry?

When I was in school, in various classes I noted epileptic seizures from a student, and otherwise bizarre behavior with another student in a different class.

None of the rest of us "mimicked" these behaviors at all.

This was in the U.S. though.

A "cultural" propensity in some other countries?

• Like 1

It seems like their version of what I experienced in the Charismatic Lutheran church I grew up attending.

One person, in the middle of the sermon, would stand up and start yammering out in 'tongues/gibberish', then another would stand up and 'interpret' the word of God for the rest of us.

Other times, someone would just flop out on the ground and start shaking like a person experiencing a seizure as they were 'rolled in the holy spirit'. This was often then followed by a few others, half dozen to a dozen out of hundreds who would all fall down as well and exhibit the same behavior for a few minutes.

What was a bit odd to me, was, sitting in the back. This was toward the end of my church attending days, as I'd already read the Bible for myself and was no longer a believer, but hadn't 'come out' as such yet. But as I would sit back and now just observe the process rather than try and believe it and figure it out. I do remember thinking it odd, how after the first person would 'go down'. Several others would often go, mere moments later, simultaneously. None of them were looking at each other, and they'd be spread out throughout the pews... they were busy, eyes closed and praying and singing... yet they'd go down in groups as if someone just pushed them all at the same moment.

I wonder did Jung ever speak about this phenomenon as part of the collective sub-conscious?

Edited by quiXilver
  • Like 1

Jung? He was cool-headed dude. I love his writings(only read a few, though)

• Like 1

Why "mass hysteria"? Is this a documented phenomenon in the annals of psychiatry?

When I was in school, in various classes I noted epileptic seizures from a student, and otherwise bizarre behavior with another student in a different class.

None of the rest of us "mimicked" these behaviors at all.

This was in the U.S. though.

A "cultural" propensity in some other countries?

It doesnt happen each time ... but it does happen sometimes. The case I mentioned in the USA, the showed physical symptoms (but they were considered psychosomatic).

And yes, apparently, psychosomatic symptoms ( particularly 'hysteria' ) can be 'infectious' (there is a nice little rational / scientific term for you :D - mass hysteria ) ... as if it can spread like crowd panic and stampede. Even if it is a 'trick of the eye , or of the sky'.

the-devils-final-battle-foreword-beg.jpg

I wonder did Jung ever speak about this phenomenon as part of the collective sub-conscious?

Which phenomena ? 'Possession' ... 'Mass Hysteria' ... ?

Do you realise Jung was 'possessed' himself ... by a 'familiar spirit' (named Philemon) ... he wrote about it but it has been pretty much censored and rarely talked about < shhhh ! > ... the Black and Red Books ...

https://www.philemonfoundation.org/forthcoming/the_black_books_1913-1932

A very comprehensive source ( referencing Jung quiet a bit, including Neo-Platonists' , and many others ) ; http://www.harpur.or...creality.htm - which includes a greta chapter on the 'spreading' of the case of the fake child service workers.

Regarding cases of 'possession' ( not as a 'spreading phenomena' ) I have not been able to find any better source than combining the works of Swedenborg and Dr Wilson vanDusen.

http://www.theisticp...nce_spirits.htm

Edited by back to earth
  • Like 1

I read a book, a long time ago(sorry, I don't remember the title) that had Jung, Freud, and a couple of others(a Buddhist I think and one other)

Anyway, it was fascinating! The chapters presented certain questions, and they responded in the book.

I was most impressed by Jung's take of things. Just my opinion.

“As a traditional practice, holy water is used in defense from the devil. This is to bless themselves and protect from sorts of evil. This is not implying something magical but more of calling upon God’s protection,” Tan continued.

I could pee on them and get the same or better results.

• Like 1

Ya' know, there's easier ways to get out of school.

Pfft. Kids, always trying to be creative and unique.

i remember the time when i was still in elementary, when our neighboring school has the same case of having mass hysteria it sound horrible......i wonder if this is true? hhhmmmmmmmmmm>?...........

Ideas and action spread like a mind virus in those gullible enough to accept them. Powered by like minded people you get theses things. As for "holy" water, I use tap water with a big black cross painted on the bottle. No one know the difference. :P

Ideas and action spread like a mind virus in those gullible enough to accept them. Powered by like minded people you get theses things. As for "holy" water, I use tap water with a big black cross painted on the bottle. No one know the difference. :P

But you made it 'holy' by putting it in a bottle and painting a big black cross on it.

A priest makes a cross with his fingers and declares it so in the name of the 3 in 1.

The only diff IMO is in the self perceived 'authority' . (Especially moreso nowadays, when trials have shown placebos work even when the person knows themselves it is a placebo. )

One reader "baffled" in Denmark....(!)

lol xD

good movie synopsis?

• 2 months later...

mass hysteria.

Edited by Mark56