Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Primates drinking alcohol for 10 million yrs

questionmark

GAINESVILLE, Fla., Dec. 1 (UPI) -- According to a new study, primates have been consuming some form of alcohol since 10 million years ago.

The scientists looked at almost 70 million years worth of primate genes from data banks and analyzed digestive enzymes that would allow them to consume ethanol, which is the form of alcohol found in a rotting fruit.

They found a genetic mutation from 10 million years ago that would make it easier for primates to digest ethanol, which would be the first record of that ability in primates. They believe alcohol may have been consumed incidentally by primates eating fruit off of the forest floor.

aha, now we know who to blame for our affinity to Rum!

• Like 1

And heres the (funny) proof. Must watch video

• Like 7

Primates have been getting smashed since the dawn of time eh?

Frankly, this explains a great deal.

LOL @ the drunk animals video!

Edited by Lilly
addition
  • Like 2

I suppose this is proof that getting drunk is a perfectly natural part of being a mammal?

I suppose this is proof that getting drunk is a perfectly natural part of being a mammal?

And apparently for birds as well, the drunken ostrich was hilarious. Frankly, I'm surprised that the lions didn't set up shop near the fermenting fruit...they could have their pick of dinner entrees (no chasing/hunting necessary).

• Like 2

Seeder, thanks for that funny video. Gosh, those look like some of my friends on Saturday night!

• Like 2

If I evolved from a Primate (aka: Monkey) why are there still monkeys? If the T rex became a chicken, where are the T rex's? If the Megalodon became a great white, where are the Megalodon’s? I understand multiple branches of the evolutionary tree produces variant outcomes but if you agree that one branch can remain severely unevolved then there may be a strong argument for Bigfoot.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-448283/Proof-fearsome-T-Rex-evolved-chicken.html

I hope they didn't spend too much money trying to verify this. It seems pretty obvious to me.

If I evolved from a Primate (aka: Monkey) why are there still monkeys? If the T rex became a chicken, where are the T rex's? If the Megalodon became a great white, where are the Megalodon's? I understand multiple branches of the evolutionary tree produces variant outcomes but if you agree that one branch can remain severely unevolved then there may be a strong argument for Bigfoot.

http://www.dailymail...ed-chicken.html

Where did this come from?

You didn't evolve from a monkey. Well, maybe you did but the rest of us came from a common ancestor well before the "monkey" as we know it today. I don't think there are many, if at all, branches that remained "severely unevolved". Certain reptiles maybe? Some other more knowledgeable UM members may want to chime in before I shoot myself

• Like 1

Yes it's very natural to get drank. I see bees doing it too. What's the big deal? Just don't drive and don't smack folks around. Otherwise have fun:)

If I evolved from a Primate (aka: Monkey) why are there still monkeys? If the T rex became a chicken, where are the T rex's? If the Megalodon became a great white, where are the Megalodon's? I understand multiple branches of the evolutionary tree produces variant outcomes but if you agree that one branch can remain severely unevolved then there may be a strong argument for Bigfoot.

Seriously, are you actually citing an article from The Daily Mail.

I'll give this one vote in the Darwin awards.
  • Like 1

If I evolved from a Primate (aka: Monkey) why are there still monkeys?

Got any idea how many forms early man took? Do you know why Neanderthal didn't succeed, but modern man did? Did you know some lizards, called skinks, are losing their limbs and becoming more like snakes? While other skinks can change between being egg layers, or give live birth? Do you know why the biggest thing in the seas, the whales, evolved from water to land... then chose to evolve again to go back to life in the water? Like dolphins. And why do birds, call penguins, live by the sea, in the sea, and cant fly?

And have you learnt which really came first, chicken or the egg? Or the cockerel?

lets see how you do with those questions to begin with

I wouldn't say Neanderthals didn't succeed. They were around longer than we have been, and I give so called "modern" man another 500 years max. We are a virus that destroys every natural resource. Greed will take us down

• Like 1

And heres the (funny) proof. Must watch video

[media=]

[/media]

I wonder if drunken elephants see pink humans?

• Like 2

I wonder if drunken elephants see pink humans?

what did you think of the drunk monkeys? :lol: And ostriche's

what did you think of the drunk monkeys? :lol: And ostriche's

Too funny! In our area we sometimes have drunk Robins, they eat fermented berries and really act stupidly, sometimes crashing to the ground, falling over and such.

I'm pretty sure I would't want to be around an elephant with a bad hangover!

• Like 2

So rotten fruit = ancient jungle juice??

• Like 1

This video makes me rofl every time :D i love the part with animals having hangover lol

Behaving like humans :D Alcohol is having exactly the same effect on animals, from what we have seen in video.

First there is party with 'drinks' being served. Then there is 'acting crazy' and give me more alcohol part. Then sleep... And last thing, terrible wake up :D

Rhino ( if that was rhino :D near end of video ) didn't mind all that dust falling on his nose, well, maybe he did but was too lazy to move :D

• Like 2

Of course..it was the only defence against parasits and viruses

• 3 weeks later...

Ancient Jungle Juice LOL thats the best remark in a few years lmao