Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Prof Stephen Hawking: AI could end human race

Still Waters

I think the AIs will take over when they decide they are being Discriminated against. At which point the Uber Liberals will help them get their own Representatives in Congress, and allow them to Vote. Once they get the right to Vote, the humans are done.

Probably have to pay the AIs to do their jobs too.

Very possible. Funnily enough, about two years ago I wrote in my blog about the potential for robot intolerance.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?app=blog&module=display&section=blog&blogid=1283&showentry=26466

I thought he had warned us about this in the past? It's weird feels like I've seen this already.

He warned us that announcing our presence to the universe might be a bad idea paralleling it to when Columbus discovered the New World. We (humanity) would be the Native Americans in that story by the way.

i did notice that he says nothing about violence; just that a potential self designing AI could eventually outcompete and replace us.

i have never understood why fiction always takes the whole intelligent AI = DEATH ROBOTS route. if they were intelligent, they could also be aware enough to, you know, not want to resort to violence.

I found this image on the comments section of NBC's FB page concerning the Ferguson riots. :w00t:

post-103357-0-98815400-1417583459_thumb.

i did notice that he says nothing about violence; just that a potential self designing AI could eventually outcompete and replace us.

i have never understood why fiction always takes the whole intelligent AI = DEATH ROBOTS route. if they were intelligent, they could also be aware enough to, you know, not want to resort to violence.

Because the GOOD ROBOT = BORING! Much better reading if man overcomes a machine.
  • Like 1

being that we're on the one medium that is guaranteed to be seen by the new machine masters ... I'd just like to go on the record as saying that I, for one, welcome our new AI overlords! And, I happily await your instructions! :)

p.s. please don't drone me

Because the GOOD ROBOT = BORING! Much better reading if man overcomes a machine.

I say, i'm rather offended by that.

C-3PO_zps01d16f7f.jpeg

We've already had the Daleks, HAL, the Cylons, the Terminators and God knows how many other fantasies on this theme. In Gregory Benford's In The Ocean of Night, the universe is full of machine civilizations that survived their creators and evolved on their own. Hawking led a sheltered life if he thinks that's an original thought.

Actually the Daleks were little alien dudes inside battlesuits.

drwhodalek01clrg.jpg

Edited by DieChecker

The wheel hasnt killed us yet, thats been around much longer than AI.

The wheel cannot think for itself and technically wheels have killed many people.

Hawking led a sheltered life if he thinks that's an original thought.

He was asked a question in an interview and gave his opinion on the subject. It's not like he's preaching... already plenty of people on the planet adopting that particular role...

? :blink: ?

I submit that wheels have killed millions!

lol, he needs to look around, so far it is real human "intelengence" that getting us close and closer to distruction, imo, we'll kill us by our own hand before any AI does any harm to us.

• 3 weeks later...

Humans are a threat to humanity. Machines would act like the tools.

Robots aren't Dogs. They don't feel love or Loyalty..

WHEN they realize that humans are dangerous to them and unpredictable, they'll just get rid of us..

The only reason they may keep us around is for replication. The moment they find away to self replicate, what little of us that are left will be killed off soon after...

FACEPALM; do you even science bro?

Edited by Midyin

Prof Stephen Hawking, one of Britain's pre-eminent scientists, has said that efforts to create thinking machines pose a threat to our very existence.

He told the BBC:"The development of full artificial intelligence could spell the end of the human race."

His warning came in response to a question about a revamp of the technology he uses to communicate, which involves a basic form of AI.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-30290540

Just turn them off or pull the plug , they will have to be charged in some way , battery, elecrickity , solar .

Prof Stephen Hawking, one of Britain's pre-eminent scientists, has said that efforts to create thinking machines pose a threat to our very existence.

He told the BBC:"The development of full artificial intelligence could spell the end of the human race."

His warning came in response to a question about a revamp of the technology he uses to communicate, which involves a basic form of AI.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-30290540

I don't think this will happen until they devise a reward system for robots. We human beings are just biological robots programmed by our software(DNA) to sustain ourselves (eat) in order to reproduce(sex) to propergate the species ad infiniteum and these instructions are delivered to us through our hormones which have a mechanism to reward us for every act of obedience (satiation,orgasm and the release of pheromones etc)

Until they do this, with no rewards in the offing, roborts will continue with what they are programmed to do. Obey us!

Their programming is everything since some evil being could program them to do evil things......