Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Exorcists issue warning about Ouija boards

UM-Bot

The Ouija board as a spritual gateway into this world, which should not be opened by anyone that doesn't understand what they are doing.

your mind is far more powerful than you think it is.

that fear is a powerful emotion..

The ouija board was a harmless parlour game invented in 1890, so what did spirits do before this game along? As for not knowing what they are doing...instructions come with the game, as it does with all board games.

Yes, the mind is a powerful thing and together with the powerful emotion of fear...you have a person who can send themselves into a frenzy...over a board game.

• Like 1

The ouija board was a harmless parlour game invented in 1890, so what did spirits do before this game along? As for not knowing what they are doing...instructions come with the game, as it does with all board games.

Yes, the mind is a powerful thing and together with the powerful emotion of fear...you have a person who can send themselves into a frenzy...over a board game.

I seem to see you say this in every one of these threads about Ouija boards, and every time it seems someone comes along and corrects you about the extremely old tradition throughout the world of attempted spiritual communication rituals, yet you never seem to accept this fact:

One of the first mentions of the automatic writing method used in the Ouija board is found in China around 1100 AD, in historical documents of the Song Dynasty. The method was known as fuji (扶乩), "planchette writing". The use of planchette writing as an ostensible means of contacting the dead and the spirit-world continued, and, albeit under special rituals and supervisions, was a central practice of the Quanzhen School, until it was forbidden by the Qing Dynasty.[9] Several entire scriptures of the Daozang are supposedly works of automatic planchette writing. Similar methods of mediumistic spirit writing have been practiced in ancient India, Greece, Rome, and medieval Europe.[10]

This always seems to float over some peoples heads, who continue to think it's downright hilarious to call the concept of attempted spiritual communication like Monopoly, because someone at some point decided to market the idea as social fun for profit.

Come on!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouija

• Like 1

If you are sensitive enough to intuitively feel a persons spiritual energy, you can sense it quite easily. If of course your mind is shut off to this, then you wont feel it, and it will have no impact on you at all, It's really as simple as that. We are surrounded by all kinds of energy fields, all of which we are totally unaware of. It's fairly easy to sense a persons energy field if you are in tune with it though, especially if they are radiating strong emotional energy.

The point here is, do what you will with your mind, for the most part though it's a very under used part of the human anatomy. Using the Ouija board though, can result in some people who believe it to work, creating the right conditions for the transfer of spiritual energy into this plane of existence, for the sake of repeating myself here.

• Like 1

I seem to see you say this in every one of these threads about Ouija boards, and every time it seems someone comes along and corrects you about the extremely old tradition throughout the world of attempted spiritual communication rituals, yet you never seem to accept this fact.

What fact? I mention the ouija board was a harmless parlour game , I have never disputed people attempting spiritual communication..history is rife with that. ...please show me where I ever said that and where I have been corrected.......man has been attempting To communicte with the dead since as far back as we know....thats a fact.....whether any have managed to do so, is very debatable, and a ouija board has not proven it has been done.

Edited by freetoroam

This always seems to float over some peoples heads, who continue to think it's downright hilarious to call the concept of attempted spiritual communication like Monopoly, because someone at some point decided to market the idea as social fun for profit.

Come on!

i surmise from that reply that you view the Ouija as something a little more serious.

Any experiences to share?

All I know is I played around with one as a teenager...I told my daughter to never touch one and I won't allow one in my house.

• Like 4

Look at all the different ways of rituals honing intent that have been used throughout the years of man, and you will soon realize that the physical materials used to make a 'tool' like this aren't at all important, as much as the idea of sitting down, dedicated to setting out to do something, and performing a set ritual to enact that intent of a desired outcome. It's this process that whatever entrepreneur chose to recreate and market, using whatever materials they thought would make a product that they could mass market.

The whole silly idea of getting together a bunch of magical ingredients to make a witch's spell is the same idea. The 'magical' qualities of an eye of newt are non-existent. It's the whole strong sense of intent created from choosing a symbolic 'tool', whether it be eye of newt, feux wooden board, TV set static, or whatever. That eye of newt could have the symbolism of your ex boyfriend tied to it. Using it in your ritual of ruining his life could be beneficial (if you buy into that type of thing) when you combine it with sulfur (symbolizing damage to the boy) and a scrap of paper from an old love letter (symbolizing the damage he did to you).

You could just as easily create your own ritual, using no materials at all, but that wouldn't be as marketable for social fun.

but then why warn about the ouija board? if intent is the most important thing, then isn't it no more or less dangerous than any other object? in the original article (and in other topics here) it seems like people believe that a ouija board is uniquely dangerous.

All I know is I played around with one as a teenager...I told my daughter to never touch one and I won't allow one in my house.

As did a lot of us and absolutely nothing happened .......

What fact? I mention the ouija board was a harmless parlour game

No, you said

The ouija board was a harmless parlour game invented in 1890, so what did spirits do before this game along?

They hypothetically were conversing with all of the people throughout a long history of mankind, using various methods the same as the one that has the 'Ouija' name.

Your implication that the idea of spirits communicating with people through tools like the Ouija was invented by Elijiah Bond was incorrect, due to the fact that the attempted contact exercise has been around for far longer than any marketed game, bursting the implied bubble that attempted communication with spirits was invented by a game maker in the 1800's.

In reply to another

i surmise from that reply that you view the Ouija as something a little more serious.

Any experiences to share?

I don't jump to that conclusion at all, and have had no spooky experiences using that tool turned social game. I'm just keeping an unbiased objective opinion on what could be possible, and finding uneasiness and displeasure in others who feel they know what reality is and isn't, and use incorrect propaganda to present their views.

But I do feel intent is a powerful thing (psychology is of the mind, which is all I truly know exists), and whatever methods you choose to power and strengthen it are real processes. Be it a social game or not.

Edited by _Only
  • Like 2

but then why warn about the ouija board? if intent is the most important thing, then isn't it no more or less dangerous than any other object? in the original article (and in other topics here) it seems like people believe that a ouija board is uniquely dangerous.

Well, the idea is that this Ouija thing has such negativite connotations tied to it from popular culture that it would really not at all be the same as sitting down with a polka dotted coffee mug. This is why the relation to Monopoly or Candyland so ridiculously ignorant.

But really, you're right, a symbolic object has about as much power as you'd like it to. It's clear that many don't give the Ouija any. But many do, because of the stigma.

Edited by _Only

all right. i was actually curious about what your view was, after i read your post, which is why i asked those questions.

all right. i was actually curious about what your view was, after i read your post, which is why i asked those questions.

Well, I didn't really get into why I always gravitate to this subject.

I guess the thing that really bugs me here is that I feel there could be something very real tied to creating our reality in our mind, and honing of intent could very well be the key to this ground breaker. This whole Ouija debacle could be even the slightest hint of a connection to that concept of what you think about becoming reality. But the possibility is shot down unfairly when people discount it for superficial reasons, like Ouija boards being a marketed fun thing. People make this connection and all of a sudden the idea of talking to something you don't see or know (most people would assume 'spirits' or dead people, because that's what they've been conditioned to see the unknown as being) is all fakery for profit. This is pretty unfair and illogical.

I feel like personal reality is all that we know truly exists. If we can affect that through things like, say, positive or negative thinking, and do it in a refined, potent way, we could potentially do some magical things to our reality. But people will take this idea of the power of thinking, and say "whatever, that idea is just an idea created by The Secret authors to peddle a best seller". And the theoretical concept dies through lack of watering.

What a tragic hypothetical scenario, right?!

It's like there's this way that we all can learn and live, but it is hindered by those who will only think and believe in things that they can see how and why they work (science). This isn't bad, because we all need to learn about how and why things work. But we can't know how and why everything works. So most rely on what other people tell them is real, and how or why. This concept is considered real, because they can show their findings. But they found that and brought it into your reality through showing you. You didn't find that. Does it even really exist if you didn't find it yourself? We trust it does, because that's the way we have agreed to learn. But what if it was hindering what was really possible, having to collecticely trust what is real by what has been shown by others?

Maybe thinking is our ticket to creation, and it is hindered by what we have agreed is and is not possible. Because we can't think in ways if we don't believe and have intent to pursue thought as being correct or true.

I don't know.

Edited by _Only
  • Like 3

No, you said

They hypothetically were conversing with all of the people throughout a long history of mankind, using various methods the same as the one that has the 'Ouija' name.

Your implication that the idea of spirits communicating with people through tools like the Ouija was invented by Elijiah Bond was incorrect, due to the fact that the attempted contact exercise has been around for far longer than any marketed game, bursting the implied bubble that attempted communication with spirits was invented by a game maker in the 1800's.

What? Have you read my post? I was questioning oxo's idea that the ouija board was a gateway and I was pointing out that it was a board game....so what happened before 1890 with those who were attempting to communicate with spirits.

I never implied it was invented by Elija Bond...the harmless palour board game called the ouija board was his invention...not people trying to communicating with spirits ....jeeze was that not obvious....obviously not.

Come on!

It is hilarious that in the 21st century people still buy into this sort of garbage.

• Like 1

Toy companies are going to sell their products for the all mighty dollar and not the all mighty. :innocent:

And again I catch UM-Bot rewording articles to make them say something a bit different on UM than they do in the original article. UM-Bot says "Last month Google reported that Ouija boards were fast becoming one of this year's most popular Christmas gifts"

The actual article says "Google predicted that the modern version of the Victorian-era 'spirit boards' will be a sell-out this Christmas"

In my opinion the original version could mean that google predicts that ouija boards could be a big seller because google ads are pushing them into peoples awareness.

But that's just an aside that I find interesting (and a bit worrying) concerning UM-Bots articles.

Anyway......If one is inclined to believe that there is more to the universe than science can (presently) account for, and includes in the unexplained some kind of hostile spiritual entities, then ouija boards and other forms of attempting to contact the 'spirit world' seem like a rather stupid thing to do. A bit like Russian roulette or base jumping. Count me out google.

To quote Jack Burton "Well, ya see, I'm not saying that I've been everywhere and I've done everything, but I do know it's a pretty amazing planet we live on here, and a man would have to be some kind of FOOL to think we're alone in THIS universe."

• Like 2

Guys, guys. Big WARNING about monopoly and candyland!!!

Play at your own risk because reasons!!!

Funny, but to be fair board games and ouija boards, are two completely different things. As different as playing monopoly and actually running a corporation. If the spirit world were a real thing which could have a negative impact on your life then laughing it off is like laughing off heroine use.

Just saying.

Edit to add my own experience with ouija. At the age of 12 or 13 my cousin and I made our own ouija board and used it for a couple of days. At first nothing happened and we were going to forget it and then it started working. We both thought the other was moving the occulous at first but after a while I felt that what was happening was real. At one point we asked about our own deaths. It told me I would die the day before me 80th birthday while watching TV. It started saying some messed up things and when my cousin asked who we were talking to it said satan. We put the board away and two day later burned it. The flames were green. It was made of cardboard so that could just be a chemical thing but it didn't seem like it. That was many years ago and my actual memories on this are dim, but I've related the story enough times that I still remember these details.

OK, let the mocking's begin. I can take it.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 4

It is a toy! It was patented as a toy, and all this bs spooky stuff associated with it began long after the original toy, patented by a toy company, first hit the market.

It is hilarious that in the 21st century people still buy into this sort of garbage.

On one hand it is hilarious, and yet on the other hand deeply saddening and disturbing.

It is a toy! It was patented as a toy, and all this bs spooky stuff associated with it began long after the original toy, patented by a toy company, first hit the market.

No, the ouija board was far long and behind being the first automatic writing spirit board using a planchette. Those date back a kittle bit to year 1100.

The idea was taken and marketed. Who knew it would take off so well.

No, the ouija board was far long and behind being the first automatic writing spirit board using a planchette. Those date back a kittle bit to year 1100.

The idea was taken and marketed. Who knew it would take off so well.

It is a bunch of letters arranged on a board. By itself it does nothing but sit there like any board game. What you are saying logically means that any piece of wood, carpet, plastic, with letters on it, or even a page with the alphabet on it, if used in this manner, becomes a portal to the spirit world and a dangerous thing. I call BS on this one. Nobody has EVER been able to prove that this is anything but a toy.

• Like 1

In whatever form, I have always thought regarding the consulting of spirits, or the souls of the departed...

Just because they're dead, doesn't mean they're smart... or nice.

Well play if you must , but at least know what the rules are :

Ouija Board Superstitions

Ouija board history and superstitions go hand in hand. People who worry about the safety of the Ouija board fear that using one can expose the soul to malevolent spirits. This fear has spawned a set of precautions to take when using the board, although some people think these precautions are merely superstitious. They include the following:

• Place a silver coin on the board to block spirits at the gateway.
  • Never use the board in a cemetery.
  • Never use a the board where an unnatural death has taken place.
  • Never use it when you are physically, mentally or emotionally ill.
  • Never play alone.
  • Never let the planchette fall.
  • Do not let the planchette roam the alphabet in direct order.
  • Making a figure eight several times indicates an evil spirit.
  • If you contact an evil spiri,t turn the board over.

While opinions continue to vary, users of the Ouija board (for fun or for serious spiritual exploration) try to follow these "rules" just in case. Theorists speculate that micro-muscle movements from the subconscious to the hand are what cause the planchette to move, while true believers remain steadfast in their faith of spiritual guidance.

This is very serious too :yes:

VI. DID FULD USE THE BOARD FOR DIRECTIONS?

Yes. Major business deals determined by "ouija." Fuld became a millionaire.

VII. IS IT ONLY A GAME?

Fuld’s company went to court in 1920 to establish it as a religious device to contact the spirit world. They denied it was a "game." They went all the way to the Supreme Court where it was acknowledged as a mediumistic tool.

• Witches, Psychics, Parapsychologists view it as a mediumistic tool for automatic writing.

• Serious users of it claim it is not a game.

• Christian scholars do not think it is "just a game."

• Psychologists and Doctors do not view it as a harmless game.

• Who views it as a game?

1. ignorant parents

2. silly teens

3. uneducated pastors

VIII. IS IT DANGEROUS?

• Spiritualists, Psychologists, Psychiatrists, Medical Doctors, Theologians and Scholars all say it can be very harmful.

• Earnest Turley and Nellie Hurd would say so if they were alive. They were murdered through it.

• Francisco Madero used it to justify overthrowing the Mexican government in 1910. Revolution came through it.

• Fraud, immorality, drugs, divorce, assault, etc. have been traced back to a message from Ouija.

• Demon possession can happen! "The Exorcist” was based on a true story which began with Regan playing with Ouija.

• Psychics say so.

• Christian scholars say so.

• Psychiatrists/Doctors say so.

• Dr. Kurt Kock compiled hundreds of case histories.

• faith defenders

:o

~

No **** Sherlock, anyone with half a brain and the gift knows this **** is real it's just small minded people that still believe in religion and politics's that don't understand the expanses of the mind!

Dude! Get real. Ouija boards were a means of communication with the spirit word centuries before milton bradley patented them.

• Like 1