Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Exorcists issue warning about Ouija boards

UM-Bot

You can't seriously belive this Ouija garbage, can you? For there to be spirits or demons or whatever to be contacted, there would have to be spirits or demons that actually exist.

Yes, I believe in the existence of extra dimensional entities.

What about the Rubik's Cube? That thing will drive you insane!

Be wary of solving it though, it might summon the Cenobites! :lol:

• Like 1

Yes, I believe in the existence of extra dimensional entities.

What does extradimensional or interdimensional mean what people talk about these "entities"? I keep hearing those phrases but I don't know what they mean exactly or how people conclude that ghosts and demons were "extra-dimensional".

Who was the first person or people to conclude that demons and ghosts were extra-dimensional, what does that exactly mean and how did they determine it?

• Like 1

so I reckon that after the holidays we will see an upswing in news medias about people dying, being scared to death, or possessed by spirits due to the ouija boards, because THAT would be news wortrhy.

No, but there's a good chance these forums will be see an upsurge in tall tales about people's experience with their Xmas ouija boards.
  • Like 2

What does extradimensional or interdimensional mean what people talk about these "entities"? I keep hearing those phrases but I don't know what they mean exactly or how people conclude that ghosts and demons were "extra-dimensional".

Something that theoretically exists outside of 'the box', or our understanding of the dimenions of reality, I would assume. It's a concept or idea, not a rule or law. The unknown.

:rolleyes:

• Like 1

I know this was not for me, but I do not think we are the ones who have to prove anything....we want the proof brought to us.

I do agree that concepts like demons and spirits is a matter of personal beliefs. But while 'spirit' communication has not been proved on a scientific basis, it has not been disproved either. I was just trying to understand Imaginarynumer1's position that such ideas are 'hilarius in the 21st' century' or 'garbage' and on what basis did he draw those conclusions. I am inclined to think that his non-beliefs have in themselves become a belief system since science does not says anything about 'spirits' and neither about 'God' or the 'afterlife'. True, the ideomotor effect can explain a lot of Ouija experiences but it isn't so far-fetched in my mind to consider the possibility that there can be something else at play than the ideomotor effect or delusion. It certainly does not mean it should be 'spirits' of the deceased, I don't think I subscribe to this idea myself but I am not sure why there is a need to look down upon people holding different views, as if they were such fools and ignorants.

Edited by sam_comm
  • Like 1

I do agree that concepts like demons and spirits is a matter of personal beliefs. But while 'spirit' communication has not been proved on a scientific basis, it has not been disproved either. I was just trying to understand Imaginarynumer1's position that such ideas are 'hilarius in the 21st' century' or 'garbage' and on what basis did he draw those conclusions. I am inclined to think that his non-beliefs have in themselves become a belief system since science does not says anything about 'spirits' and neither about 'God' or the 'afterlife'. True, the ideomotor effect can explain a lot of Ouija experiences but it isn't so far-fetched in my mind to consider the possibility that there can be something else at play than the ideomotor effect or delusion. It certainly does not mean it should be 'spirits' of the deceased, I don't think I subscribe to this idea myself but I am not sure why there is a need to look down upon people holding different views, as if they were such fools and ignorants.

I very much doubt it is looking down on people holding different views, its more a case of (IMO) not quite understanding how in todays days, people still believe in spirit "aiding" things like a game board.

Yes, yes, yes I hear you...its not just a game board, but to some of us skeptics, that is exactly what it is, what it does conjure up are not spirits (IMO) but imaginations based on fear OR excitement, curiosity and in quite a few cases, trickery.

Something that theoretically exists outside of 'the box', or our understanding of the dimenions of reality, I would assume. It's a concept or idea, not a rule or law. The unknown.

The unknown?.................more like "The made up".

No, but there's a good chance these forums will be see an upsurge in tall tales about people's experience with their Xmas ouija boards.

I hope they have their cameras ready and remember we know about photoshop and all the other tricks they try.

Who was the first person or people to conclude that demons and ghosts were extra-dimensional, what does that exactly mean and how did they determine it?

Nobody determined it, but in my own opinion with physicists now theorizing the possibility of 'multiverse' that makes the existence of beings in these other dimensions almost as much of a gimme as us existing in our own dimension. It may not be impossible for these other dimension beings to crave access and influence in our dimension and may have had the means to do this for quite some time. I'm not saying this is fact but it is what I believe.

Hello Kitty is the Devil!!!

I've "played" with a Ouija board many times, and the planchette has never even budged...

It's a psychophysiological phenomenon known as the ideomotor effect. That's why the planchette might move for someone else, but not you.

It's a psychophysiological phenomenon known as the ideomotor effect. That's why the planchette might move for someone else, but not you.

Where do these words come from? by the time you finish saying that the spirit would have been long gone!

• Like 1

Where do these words come from? by the time you finish saying that the spirit would have been long gone!

No, it's still here. I sucked it up in a shop-vac, then put it into a mason jar. It's sitting on my desk.

Edited by Karasu
  • Like 1

The unknown?.................more like "The made up".

I feel like you wouldn't have this attitude talking to a traditional Native American shaman face to face. Why through the internet? Take it easy. Allow people to entertain possibilities. You calling the unknown possibility of something being outside of our normal realm of understanding 'made up' is implying that you know more than everyone else who has ever existed.

Edited by _Only
  • Like 1

What are "the dimensions of reality" ?

If people mean "unknown" or "outside of our understanding" then that's what they should say.

When people say that something is "extradimensional" when what they mean is that it is "unknown" or "outside of our current understanding", then how are they facilitating understanding by peppering their language with such fancy sounding but misleading or ill-defined terminology like "extra-dimensional"?

I completely fail to see how calling unknown or not understood things "extra-dimensional" makes any sense at all. Makes it sound like classic pseudo-science, instead of using plain language to describe things, mix it up with Star Trek type jargon to make it sound technical or scientific.

• Like 1

I feel like you wouldn't have this attitude talking to a traditional Native American shaman face to face. Why through the internet? Take it easy. Allow people to entertain possibilities. You calling the unknown possibility of something being outside of our normal realm of understanding 'made up' is implying that you know more than everyone else who has ever existed.

its been the unknown for a very long time...surely this is a clue.

What are "the dimensions of reality" ?

If people mean "unknown" or "outside of our understanding" then that's what they should say.

When people say that something is "extradimensional" when what they mean is that it is "unknown" or "outside of our current understanding", then how are they facilitating understanding by peppering their language with such fancy sounding but misleading or ill-defined terminology like "extra-dimensional"?

I completely fail to see how calling unknown or not understood things "extra-dimensional" makes any sense at all. Makes it sound like classic pseudo-science, instead of using plain language to describe things, mix it up with Star Trek type jargon to make it sound technical or scientific.

I don't know who came up with the term and/or why, but I think your predisposition to find the whole idea ridiculous is fueling your negative passion for any descriptive terms. Whenever given the chance, though, people will try to use more creative and succinct terms than something 'like outside our realm of understanding' (which is also used quite a bit anyway).

The dimensions I would assume the unknown would be 'extra' of, though, would be space and time.

Nobody determined it, but in my own opinion with physicists now theorizing the possibility of 'multiverse' that makes the existence of beings in these other dimensions almost as much of a gimme as us existing in our own dimension. It may not be impossible for these other dimension beings to crave access and influence in our dimension and may have had the means to do this for quite some time. I'm not saying this is fact but it is what I believe.

Well, to me, this sounds like what so many believers in the paranormal do, latch onto existing or highly theoretical science and try and shoehorn their beliefs into it. People talking about electromagnetic fields when it comes to explaining ghosts. Quantum physics can explain psychic powers. Etc.

Here you are trying to shoehorn the idea of ghosts and demons into highly theoretical cosmology. It just doesn't work. Other than simply invoking the idea of parallel universe, you haven't really explained anything. It doesn't make any sense to me. How and why would life in a parallel universe cause a planchette in some other parallel universe (ours) on a board marked with numbers and letters while human beings are holding the planchette move to spell out words? If they're capable of directly influencing things here and had a reason to do so, doesn't it strike you as a kind of odd thing to to limit yourself to that very strange and specific form of communicating with or influencing our universe?

Appreciate that it's just a personal belief, but it makes no more sense to me than others attempts at shoehorning in personal beliefs into cutting edge science and using vague and unspecific explanations.

its been the unknown for a very long time...surely this is a clue.

It really teeters on the brink of 'unknowable'. The only reason I shy from that term is that I want to believe that we are able to build bridges to see that which we wouldn't normally ever be able to.

Well, to me, this sounds like what so many believers in the paranormal do, latch onto existing or highly theoretical science and try and shoehorn their beliefs into it.

But this is without a doubt the best way to make abstract and tough to understand ideas accessible; relating weird ideas and concepts to terms we do understand, in an attempt to ease us into an attempt to get the idea better.

Yeah, there will be the fair share of those who unfairly and incorrectly relate terms and ideas in a pseudo-scientific way, but as long as terms (like 'extra dimensional') remain descriptive equivalents and not quasi-facts, I really don't see the harm in them. I actually see them as helpful, for the reason I said above.

I don't know who came up with the term and/or why, but I think your predisposition to find the whole idea ridiculous is fueling your negative passion for any descriptive terms.

Why is it that when I disagree with someone on the Internet about something I'm accusing of being angry or passionate about it? Believe me, I'm not "passionate" about it at all.
Whenever given the chance, though, people will try to use more creative and succinct terms than something 'like outside our realm of understanding' (which is also used quite a bit anyway).
But extra-dimensional doesn't make sense in this sense as an overarching word for the unexplained. Dimension has a specific meaning to scientists and mathematicians. Usually they mean spatial and temporal dimensions as in the 4 dimensions of relativity - 3 spatial dimensions and time. Being unknown or outside of our understanding simply doesn't equate to belong to dimensions beyond the 4 of space and time we're aware of. It's simply unhelpful to invoke phrases that don't mean what you want them to mean. And don't be too eager to attach fancy sounding phrases to things. Although it happens and is necessary for science and technology to use exact language and to invent words to convey ideas clearly, all too often people who want to sound like what they're saying is scientific, attach Star Trek-esque jargon to their language, without clarifying anything.

I mean, has extra-dimensional actually been proposed or adopted to mean what you mean by it? Or are people just throwing it around without any sort of agreed upon meaning (which is what seems to be happening to me) ?

The dimensions I would assume the unknown would be 'extra' of, though, would be space and time.

Indeed and M-theory and string theory have posited the existence of spatial dimensions beyond the 3 we currently are aware of, but speculates that they're very different because they would be highly deformed and warped and exist on sub-atomic scales and not really the kind of place where you'd find a ghost or demon.
  • Like 1

Based on your subsequent replies, you seem to already have answers to your questions. I will just add that accepting the possibilty that 'entities' can interact in our reality (you may not but some do), it is not so far fetched to consider that if such phenomena truly exist, it may originate from one or more spatial dimensions - that is vistas of reality currently unknown to us - than the 3 (plus time) we are familiar with. It kind of make some sens actually. I suppose that 'dimension' is the best word people may have to describe this kind of concept, even though Alien or supernatural 'entities' have no scientific basis, we know that in the field of theoritical physics, the idea of universal extra dimension is being seriously considered to help us understand aspects of the Universe. And quite clearly the physical notion of extra dimensions is at it's first faltering steps.

Edited by sam_comm

It really teeters on the brink of 'unknowable'. The only reason I shy from that term is that I want to believe that we are able to build bridges to see that which we wouldn't normally ever be able to.

Maybe there is a reason why we can not see..

they are not there

or

they do not want to be seen

Do not get me wrong, i am not anti spirit, but do not think it as cut and dry as "they are there, we are here and there has to be a way to make contact, lets try this ouija board or other means" theory.

I believe when we die, we die, what is left behind is what has been passed down to the next generation through birth....and so the cycle continues. We may be of individual minds, to a certain extent, but our bodies and "souls" are given to us by our past generations, we carry the fluids of our ancestors.

Edited by freetoroam