Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did Humans and Neanderthals Mix ?

UM-Bot

The Neanderthal was a squat, powerful hunter who dominated Europe for more than 100,000 years, but he disappeared forever when modern humans evolved in Africa and moved to the other continents.

There is no convincing evidence, says Richard G. Klein of Stanford University, that Neanderthals and modern humans ever mixed in substantial numbers, which means that when the Neanderthals died out, so did their genes.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: CNN

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SpaceyKC

• Kismit

• Bloated Corpse

• racerette

Just a crazee thought: Maybe Neanderthals evolved into bigfoots (whats the plural, Bigfeet?) Becuz a few of the physical features are similar in a way.

1. the slightly pointed head (compared to ours)

2. their eyebrows (they have some sort of bone that lux like a unibrow-thingy!)

3. (from what we've seen) they kinda look (and looked) alike! Just a crazee thought!! wacko.gifwacko.gifwacko.gif

I know Neandertals exist for a fact today.........

I went to college with a bunch of em...... Most of them played football though.......

I dont think they lived with one another.

And if they did im sure some of us would still have Neanderthal characteristics today. Because im sure if humans and Neanderthals co-existed, they would have had sexual intercourse, possibly rape.

I find the missing link even more interesting.

http://pages.emerson.edu/students/benjamin...ml/science.html

Well my Husband is a hairy man with long arms and an over hanging forhead . You cant tell me they didn't mix . unsure.gif

i thoght that they did mix. supposedly people from the north i.e europe were neandethals and people from the south ie africa, were sapiens....then they mixed, and stuff....well that is what i saw on a documentry a while ago...

In my opinion I do think some of the Neanderthal characteristics still do exist. I know most of this has been said and that saying it over and over gets tiresome so please forgive.

I would like to think that genetics alone could say this is what you're going to turn out like barring any body altering accidents. But what happens when those genes that were long dormant start to manifest themselves? We get supposedly "modern humans" with neanderthal characteristics, I don't mind sometimes it just makes you want to go to a cave. But I digress, what if there is no link between neanderthal and that "modern human" is actually a genetic mutation of the neaderthal genome?

Living on a planet that is subjected to radiation and whatever concoction that the universe can throw at us. Couldn't we make that logical conclusion that in fact neanderthal is the predecessor of "modern human" based solely on genetic mutation?

Ok, I know I'm babling so I'll stop.

i thought i saw a show on this

Finding out about our most recent common ancestor relies solely on inferences from the mtDNA of people living today. What if we could actually compare our mtDNA with mtDNA of a distant ancestor? This, in fact, has been done, with mtDNA from the bones of Neanderthals. Comparing mtDNA of these Neanderthals to mtDNA of living people from various continents, researchers have found that the Neanderthals' mtDNA is not more closely related to that of people from any one continent over another. This was an unwelcome finding for anthropologists who believe that there was some interbreeding between Neanderthals and early modern humans living in Europe (which might have helped to explain why modern Europeans possess some Neanderthal-like features); these particular anthropologists instead would have expected the Neanderthals' mtDNA to be more similar to that of modern Europeans than to that of other peoples. Moreover, the researchers determined that the common ancestor to Neanderthals and modern Homo sapiens lived as long as 500,000 years ago, well before the most recent common mtDNA ancestor of modern humans. This suggests (though it does not prove) that Neanderthals went extinct without contributing to the gene pool of any modern humans

from nova

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/neanderthals/mtdna.html

more on our lowbrow cousins

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/neanderthals/

Very interesting - the last i had read on the topic was that Red hair and freckles where traits handed down from Neanderthals. I s'ppose they could be traits handed down from a common ancestor of even greater age.

there was another show cant quite remember if it was a nova episode or not, but this group of scientist went anound the globe taking dna samples and traced our ancestry to a group of bush people in africa. suposidly these people have the oldest human dna known, and all of us can be traced to them. a side note in the episode was the checked for signs of neanderthal dna and concluded that neanderthals and sapiens did not interbreed, if i find the transcript ill post it.

i am with them on this. interbreeding between different species, especialy ones as different as sapiens and neanderthals, cant be that common and when it does happen it usualy resaults in sterile or unsuccessful offspring.

It is possible that sapiens and neanderthals DID mix but because of the competition between the two species and the fact that sapiens were better at adapting to their situation, neanderthals eventually became extinct. The species would of more likely fought for space rather than interbreeding, possibly some did mix but the resulting offspring may of been infertile at least to some extent.

Heres a website I found on neanderthals and modern humans

neanderthal

An idea that me and emmy was talking about:

When humans hunted and killed out Neanderthals, could we have missed some, and in doing so could they have they gone into hiding or seclusion, during all this time since then, the neanderthals that remain could have turned up in modern culture, as bigfoot or yeti?

A couple of pieces of evidence to this is the neanderthals are supposed to have had ginger hair, also keeping this in mind, people have found hair that does not match any known species, and what people swear blind as being that of a yeti, the hair is ginger coloured.

The yeti is hairy, and so was the neanderthal, also the neanderthal had sloped foreheads and small brains, the eyewitness statements that exist of yeti or sasquatch or bigfoot, whatever you want to call it matches this facial profile, right down to the sloping head.

That is something to think about, Al

(or should I say emmy) smile.gif

I wonder if that's possible though,

for a few to survive for so long.

You guy's must have some very interesting discussions at your place Al & emmy .

I can't believe I'm a mutant blonde neanderthal unsure.gif some how I've allways known it .