Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Siege in Sydney CBD

Peter B

Ahh that infamous black flag has made an appearance.

Sadly, yes.

I can't imagine what the hostages are going through.

I know there has been much talk amongst people, and again, radical Islam holds many people in fear so an imaginary being will approve of them. Not fair on the larger majority of Australians that have matured beyond the need for an imaginary being to make one's life complete.

This is not going to go well, people have had enough and I honestly think that people are going to start retaliating toward Islam in general worse than ever before. We have seen what happens with racial tensions on Australia Day during the Cronulla riots, and I know I am more than over religion myself, I would happily vote for a ban on the religion.

Islam does not benefit the globe in any way, I really do not understand why we all have to keep pretending it's worth defending. If people need to rely on religion to this extent, it has become a harmful thing in modern society and needs to be rationalised away for good.

• Like 4

I know there has been much talk amongst people, and again, radical Islam holds many people in fear so an imaginary being will approve of them. Not fair on the larger majority of Australians that have matured beyond the need for an imaginary being to make one's life complete.

This is not going to go well, people have had enough and I honestly think that people are going to start retaliating toward Islam in general worse than ever before. We have seen what happens with racial tensions on Australia Day during the Cronulla riots, and I know I am more than over religion myself, I would happily vote for a ban on the religion.

Islam does not benefit the globe in any way, I really do not understand why we all have to keep pretending it's worth defending. If people need to rely on religion to this extent, it has become a harmful thing in modern society and needs to be rationalised away for good.

I suspect that this is a so-called 'lone wolf attack'. We've had two in Canada recently. They were recent converts and at least one was barred from his mosque for being too radical. As it turned out he had mental issues.

Edit: Oh, I just heard on the news that there may be more than one. So, maybe not.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 1

Tonight my sympathy and thoughts are with the people of Australia who are enduring another senseless act of terrorism. When will this ever end?

• Like 8

when are you guys going to realize that we are at war with all of islam, not just a few.

when are you guys going to realize that we are at war with all of islam, not just a few.

For most in denial it will only be when THEY or someone they love is targeted. Pride is a powerful motivator.

Saaaaay what?!

Why do I got to be at war with the Muslims who are peaceful here in the U.S., or for that matter - any Muslims who are peaceful anywhere across the globe? All because of the actions of a few thousand extreme nutters here and there?

That's like the non-religious being at war with all Christians just because a few extreme nutters bombed some abortion clinics in the name of Christianity.

Furthermore, do you have any proof that all the Muslims in the world are going to turn on us?

+ 1.

Don't blame all Muslims just because some nutters bring discredit on their faith.

• Like 9

With people as loving as Caring as your Christian soul in the world, we will never have peace. Or common sense. Religion is the killer. Stupid comments such as yours force political correctness when we should not even have to make the distinction between a radical person and a moderate muslim. It should simply be the sick mindset that drives a radical as a distinction. What you have said is not better than any other person associating you with Westboro. After all, you're both Christian right? Do you think the Muslims selling you milk at the corner shop has the capacity to even think like this? Education is the key here. As I said, this mindset will result in violence, heck I am sick of living with the threat of radical Islam, but I don't blame my local Muslim garden supplier for the hostage situation. How many responses like yours before we have another riot and peaceful people are hurt as bystanders?

Where the problem with Islam be that if it is never rationalised into a story like Santa, as it really is, just like your own faith, small minded people will continue to misuse and abuse it, as it has great potential to be used in this fashion. Religion needs to be accountable, not just one of them. And people wonder why some are all for ending religion!!!

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 6

3 hostages have recently escaped and are talking with police as to what the escaped hostages might know about the situation inside.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

Unless the police are able to intervene in a positive, forceful way, I do not see this as looking good for the remaining hostages.

Radical Islam is not at all known for peaceful resolution.

I suspect that this is a so-called 'lone wolf attack'. We've had two in Canada recently. They were recent converts and at least one was barred from his mosque for being too radical. As it turned out he had mental issues.

Edit: Oh, I just heard on the news that there may be more than one. So, maybe not.

I have not read it on an official source, but I have heard on the grapevine there is the threat that bombs have been placed in the immediate area as well, making the situation even more difficult to deal with.

It honestly sounds like a serious group effort.

With the number of incidents involving Islam over the last 12 months, I think a lot of people would be happy to see Islamic Gathering places well policed with regular checks and reports on activities happening. Whilst the smaller mobile Mosques are the ones doing the damage with radical Islam, there has to be connections that the larger Mosques have which can advise police of all Islamic gatherings so they may be monitored for radical elements.

+ 1.

Don't blame all Muslims just because some nutters bring discredit on their faith.

Exactly! Stereotyping never ceases to amaze me.

It's like finding a few bad apples in orchard, without further close examination of each and every other apple on all the other trees, then turning around and leveling the whole damn orchard with bulldozer, just because you think all the other apples are bad as well.

Now is that not mental?

• Like 4

WHAT WE KNOW

• Fewer than 30 people have been held hostage by an armed man in the Lindt Chocolat Cafe in Martin Place
  • Police were alerted to the incident about 9.45am when a woman saw a man outside the cafe with a blue sports bag that appeared to contain a gun
  • Three hostages have escaped the cafe, one of whom appeared to be a Lindt employee
  • The police have made direct contact with the hostage-taker
  • Police said workers outside of the exclusion zone bordered by Hunter, Pitt, King and Elizabeth streets in the Sydney CBD were OK to travel home via public transport as usual. Martin Place railway station remains closed
  • The Sydney Opera House, the Channel 7 offices in Maråtin Place, and the US Consulate are among the buildings to have been evacuated
  • Nobody is believed to have been harmed
  • Police have erected a large black shield to cover the corner of the Lindt store from view; at least 100 police and tactical units are stationed in Martin Place
  • Airspace in Sydney is open but some flights are being diverted around the CBD, according to Qantas
  • Police handcuffed a man 200m from the cafe siege but a police statement has since clarified the arrest was not related to the siege.

WHAT WE DON'T KNOW

• We do not know the motivation of the hostage-taker, nor what he is trying to achieve. It has not been confirmed whether the incident is related to terrorism, but NSW Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione said officers had moved to a footing consistent with a terrorism event
  • We do not know if the gunman has any explosives
  • We do not know if the hostage-taker is acting alone
  • We do not know the name, age or nationality of the hostage-taker, nor if he has made any demands to police
  • We don’t know exactly how many people have been held hostage. Some reports suggest there could be as few at 13, while the Lindt chief executive officer toldnews.com.au there could be 40 to 50 people held inside, including staff and customers. A police spokeswoman said under 30 people were being held
  • It is not clear whether the three free hostages escaped or whether they were deliberately released.

LINK

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1

Okay. All the latest references refer to the perp in the singular. I'll go back to my original theory in that this is a 'lone wolf attack'.

Canada was recently threatened with such, was Oz?

• Like 1

Okay. All the latest references refer to the perp in the singular. I'll go back to my original theory in that this is a 'lone wolf attack'.

Canada was recently threatened with such, was Oz?

Martin Place where the situation has occurred I do believe was the scene for a foiled plot where Islamic radicals planned to behead an innocent Australian earlier this year.

LINK - Siege at Sydney’s Lindt cafe: Martin Place long identified as a terrorist target

Exactly! Stereotyping never ceases to amaze me.

It's like finding a few bad apples in orchard, without further close examination of each and every other apple on all the other trees, then turning around and leveling the whole damn orchard with bulldozer, just because you think all the other apples are bad as well.

Now is that not mental?

You can see how people stop at the point though, what we have to do is point out a better way. Islam inspires people like this and always will, not matter if the family of Muslims who cannot think like this exist in abundance, a significant portion insists on taking the violent verses literally and will hurt people. Whilst a person does not have to be evil to have faith is Islam, Islam will always inspire evil people, it is worded to do so. Maybe it does not get translated as well as it might, I do not know, but I do know it has shown itself to be of no value to the globe as a whole whatsoever, and needs to be relationally removed from it's exalted position, and made accountable for what it claims, and what it does.

Moderate Muslims might pray peacefully all day long, but history has shown us with 911 that it takes a very small group of determined to make a serious difference. In the modern world we should not have people thinking an imaginary being is going to make it all better if you kill everyone. Personally, I do not think it fair to place the larger majority of Australians in real danger and fear so that a minority group can worship an imaginary being.

Edited by psyche101

You're nuts

No, 2 more hostages did escape. 5 Hostages now safe.

WHAT WE DO KNOW:

The man in the white shirt who escaped from the front door ran (and waved his hands around) like a little girl.

:devil: :devil: