Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dalai Lama may be the last

seeder

Dalai Lama concedes he may be the last

But he told the BBC it would be better that the centuries-old tradition ceased "at the time of a popular Dalai Lama".

The Dalai Lama suggested the UK had taken a soft line with China over Hong Kong's recent student-led pro-democracy protests for financial reasons.

He also said the international community needed to do more to encourage democracy in China.

"China very much wants to join the mainstream world economy," he said.

"They should be welcome, but at the same time the free world has a moral responsibility to bring China into mainstream democracy - for China's own interests."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-30510018

• Like 1

I fully expect the next time around we'll see two Dalai Lamas, one approved by the Chinese Government and the other approved by the usual process of monks.

• Like 7

I'd like to see a Dalai Llama.

We the High Council of Reincarnated Llamas thus hereby recognises thee Sir Eldo as the True Dalai Llama of the Elect Reincarnate Llama ~

~ Democracy For the Andes ! Long Live the Dalai Llama !

~

• Like 5

I'd like to see a Dalai Llama.

I've met the current one, well I was part of a crowd that met him, second row from the front to boot. He is postively delightful, you can't help laughing in his company, wish I remembered what he said but there was a meditation and that was pretty cool.

• Like 4

I fully expect the next time around we'll see two Dalai Lamas, one approved by the Chinese Government and the other approved by the usual process of monks.

I think there already is two Dalai Lamas, and has been for a number of years, under the process you just described.

• Like 2

I think there already is two Dalai Lamas, and has been for a number of years, under the process you just described.

Are you sure? There are two Panchen Lama's but I don't believe I have heard of a second Dalai Lama.

• Like 1

I wonder if the dahlia Lama has to be Asian. It would be interesting to see a Caucasian or African Lama.

undoubtedly

Well the one I'm familiar with, if I am familiar with him, he seems to have more books than any pope. ;):tu:

Edited by Stubbly_Dooright

I wonder if the dahlia Lama has to be Asian. It would be interesting to see a Caucasian or African Lama.

Have you seen the movie The Little Buddha - it explores a similar possibility, not for the Dalai Lama position but a reincarnating buddhist monk just the same.

I've met the current one, well I was part of a crowd that met him, second row from the front to boot. He is postively delightful, you can't help laughing in his company, wish I remembered what he said but there was a meditation and that was pretty cool.

I think you may have missed Eldo's spelling of Llama...

• Like 2

Dalai Lama concedes he may be the last

["The Dalai Lama institution will cease one day. These man-made institutions will cease," the Dalai Lama told the BBC.]

Profound words, at last, coming from the DL, and I totally agree. Religion is an institution, and since it is an institution, which is man-made, it's also replaceable...when a new "god" comes along. The world is certainly ripe for a new one, sporting a new name.

["The Dalai Lama institution will cease one day. These man-made institutions will cease," the Dalai Lama told the BBC.]

Profound words, at last, coming from the DL, and I totally agree. Religion is an institution, and since it is an institution, which is man-made, it's also replaceable...when a new "god" comes along. The world is certainly ripe for a new one, sporting a new name.

Or when people no longer need an institution between themselves and the infinite.

Wouldn't that be nice? That statement also has a lot of faith in people. I, personally, don't think the Dalai Lama is a god, and I also believe that the avatars of the past didn't jot down a single word -- no "dotting the eye and crossing the teeth." They simply lived and celebrated life; therefore, the laws we have today are merely afterthoughts, if you will, by their followers, as in putting words into those avatars mouths, so to speak.

The Dalai Lama has said he would rather be the last to hold the spiritual post than see it pass to a “stupid” successor.
Each dead Dalai Lama is thought to be reincarnated in the body of a male child identified by high lamas (Buddhist priests) in Tibet.

If each successive Dalai Lama is a reincarnation of the previous one, then the current Dalai Lama is the same person as the previous and future ones, so how can there be a 'stupid' successor unless the current one considers himself 'stupid' as well?

Edited by Ashyne
  • Like 1

This isn't an unexplained mystery

It's not even a mystery

It's just news, this site is getting worse for this

If you happen to notice where this post is... its in the: Spirituality, Religion and Beliefs section

It's not even a mystery

you're welcome to stop reading anytime

• Like 1

If each successive Dalai Lama is a reincarnation of the previous one, then the current Dalai Lama is the same person as the previous and future ones, so how can there be a 'stupid' successor unless the current one considers himself 'stupid' as well?

I'm assuming HH The Dalai Lama is referring to a false successor being named as his replacement, a "plant" if you will, likely by the Chinese government. This "plant" would likely have no knowledge of Tibetan Buddhism, their tradition or history, and would likely be nothing more than a tool and puppet of the state who will seek to further erode Tibetan culture.

On another note, am I the only one that is bothered by all of this? It disturbs me that such a beautiful religion, culture and tradition is on the brink of disappearing. I think adherents of any and all religions should be deeply disturbed by the cultural genocide that has taken place there. We should be doing all that we can to prevent this from happening. If Tenzin Gyatso is the last of the Dalai Lamas, then the world will have lost a beautiful light, and I cannot help but think we will be in part to blame for not trying to do more for the Tibetan cause.

• Like 3

I say hey Lama....how about a little something for the effort?

You know what he said?

He said, "I have no money for you, but when you die, you'll will receive total consciousness." So, I got that going for me!

- Carl the greens keeper

• Like 1

It's not even a mystery

I wouldn't say that . The Dalai Lama preaches an afterlife ... what happens to us when we die is a mystery