Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New 'Millennium bug' to hit computers in 2038

UM-Bot

An issue with 32-bit computer systems could result in widespread problems on Tuesday 19 January 2038.

Back at the end of the 20th century, panic about the Year 2000 bug saw thousands of businesses scrambling to upgrade their computers in fear that the allegedly crippling flaw would cause widespread problems at the beginning of the new millennium.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/275891/new-millennium-bug-to-hit-computers-in-2038

Year 2000 was fantastic to many people but those who managed to sold their softwares related to 'millennium bug' , for them it was very special year. Time to make money again :D

• Like 1

Oh great, are we going to have another "end of the world" episode agaiiiiin?

Poor your money into a new computer system (which is infact the same as your old one) or give away everything you own to the next man you meet at your local supermarket. Get those sandals out, looks like we have started early.

What a complete non-story. 24 years in the future a bug may or may not stop some computers working properly. Like those computers won't be long gone!

• Like 2

FORMAT c:[/1][/4][/8][/F:(size)] [/N:(sectors)] [/T:(tracks)] [/b|/S][/C]

[/V:(label)] [/Q][/u][/V]

Edited by maximusnow
  • Like 1

"In all likelihood the bug will have even less of an impact than the original Millennium bug did."

Killer story.

Thanks for posting.

• Like 1

What a complete non-story. 24 years in the future a bug may or may not stop some computers working properly. Like those computers won't be long gone!

Most likely, but when we were writing code in the 80's we never dreamed our code would still be running in the year 2000. We figured back then that it would all be replaced within 10 years or less. During Y2K I fixed code that had been running since the mid-70's.

All the more reason for a mass update of hardware in Air Traffic Control towers and in other such important places where 'ancient' hardware is used.

• Like 2

All the more reason for a mass update of hardware in Air Traffic Control towers and in other such important places where 'ancient' hardware is used.

I though about them, lets hope they sort their hardwares out well before then. Guess they are working on it right now and we should soon see the results within a few months when the fares double.

• Like 1

Here we go again. Let's call this one Y2WTF.

Edited by ancient astronaut
  • Like 3

On a side note, the UNIVAC, TRS-80, and Apple II computers have ALL been having problems lately. ;)

• Like 1

How can they predict what might happen in 13 years time ,its ludicrous. I predict that in 13 years time we shall be using holographic computers.

As long as my wife's Candy Crush is still working everything will be just fine. :-)

• Like 2

Human civilisation will have destroyed itself by 2038, if there are any survivors left they wont be using computers for sure, it will be a fight for survival instead. :cry:

well , i though John Titor already solved this problem in the future!...

On a side note, the UNIVAC, TRS-80, and Apple II computers have ALL been having problems lately. ;)

Nah. My Commodore64 is still running just fine. I bet by 2038 I'll beat the bug with it.

But, I still do have my cave stocked with canned foods back in 1999. All I need is a woman to repopulate the planet.

• Like 2

I think this is more a problem with the back end machines we connect to. Apache servers and what not, Running on UNIX. I think its called the end of Time T.