Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do you believe in Quantum Entaglement?

tordy74

"Tordy74", it would be nice to have a little more background to the question.

Do you believe in it, if not, why not?

Edited by keithisco

well i never heard of it, so after googling, it seems it is not something you believe or do not believe in,

Quantum entanglement is an area of extremely active research by the physics community, and its effects have been demonstrated experimentally with photons, electrons, molecules the size of buckyballs,[11][12] and even small diamonds.[13][14] Research is also focused on the utilization of entanglement effects in communication and computation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_entanglement

But this is really all gobble di goo to me, but i may just hold on to that word for "impressing" purposes....just hope they do not ask me what it means.

• Like 2

Quantum entanglement isn't something you believe in or don't. It's just something that happens naturally, like thunderstorms, water freezing, or disgusting people going to walmart.

• Like 2

Quantum entanglement isn't something you believe in or don't. It's just something that happens naturally, like thunderstorms, water freezing, or disgusting people going to walmart.

What?.... I am disgusting... I lived in Walmart last holiday I took... Take me now Lord, I am not worthy :whistle::cry:

• Like 1

I would qualify that by saying "something that appears to happen naturally"... but what do I know

I would qualify that by saying "something that appears to happen naturally"... but what do I know

Always take off shoes when going to sleep, a must when holidaying in walmart:

1554TX.jpg

Thanks for the inputs.

It thus appears that one particle of an entangled pair "knows" what measurement has been performed on the other, and with what outcome, even though there is no known means for such information to be communicated between the particles, which at the time of measurement may be separated by arbitrarily large distances.

Wikipedia

It appears that the moon for instance, is not there until it is either measured or observed by either a biological entity or a machine- apparatus

Do you believe this?

• Like 1

As stated already its not a belief. Its not a theory. It is a tested and proven fact.

• Like 1

Thanks for the inputs.

It thus appears that one particle of an entangled pair "knows" what measurement has been performed on the other, and with what outcome, even though there is no known means for such information to be communicated between the particles, which at the time of measurement may be separated by arbitrarily large distances.

Wikipedia

It appears that the moon for instance, is not there until it is either measured or observed by either a biological entity or a machine- apparatus

Do you believe this?

I'll save you some trouble. If your starting into quantum physics, a good starter movie is "what the bleep do we know". Find it, watch it. Come back and comment.

• Like 1

It would appear that what we know as reality would not exist unless it was either measured or observed by someone or something.

Without the participation of someone or something nothing would exist. And so our world without that someone or something observing or measuring would not exist - neither you, me or indeed anything.

Thanks for the inputs.

Wikipedia

Do you believe this?

As others have already stated, it is not something to be 'believed in' but something to be observed.

As for the explanation above, when entangled it is better to think of the two entangled states of the objects as one state simultaneously occupying a non-local spacetime. That way we avoid using inaccurate expressions as suggesting a quantum or sub-atomic particle can "know" anything. This also avoids the misconception there is any 'communication' between the particles with entangled states.

• Like 1

It would appear that what we know as reality would not exist unless it was either measured or observed by someone or something.

Without the participation of someone or something nothing would exist. And so our world without that someone or something observing or measuring would not exist - neither you, me or indeed anything.

And yet when a tree falls in the middle of the woods while noone is there to observe it, it still makes a sound...

And yet when a tree falls in the middle of the woods while noone is there to observe it, it still makes a sound...

If it makes a sound then there is something there unbeknown which disturbs the wavefunction surely?

And what would it be that exists in complete isolation from anything else?

Your argument is "begging the question" that conscious awareness is necessary for 'reality' to exist. But such an argument is a fallacy.

• Like 1

And what would it be that exists in complete isolation from anything else?

Your argument is "begging the question" that conscious awareness is necessary for 'reality' to exist. But such an argument is a fallacy.

My argument is not necessarily that conscious awareness is necessary for reality to exist but the collapse of wavefunction is necessary for reality to exist.

My argument is not necessarily that conscious awareness is necessary for reality to exist but the collapse of wavefunction is necessary for reality to exist.

And where has this 'wavefunction' actually been observed?

It has been proposed as a mathematical description of the possible states a quantum object may possess, but mathematics is only a description - a map. And a map is not the territory it may describe.

And where has this 'wavefunction' actually been observed?

It has been proposed as a mathematical description of the possible states a quantum object may possess, but mathematics is only a description - a map. And a map is not the territory it may describe.

I believe in the double slit experiment the wavefunction is observed to collapse leading some to suspect that existence is just an illusion or even some grotesque computer simulation by some very advanced entity.

No disrespect to any1, and this includes the original poster, but why do people think everything is up to "do you believe in...."

It´s one of those things that puzzle me.

As to quantum entanglement it´s a theory proven with real live experiments, so it´s irrelevant what one believes.

Here's one for you guys...

If the Big Bang was real, and came out of a singularity, than EVERTHING is quantum entangled.

This thought, if true, has enormous importance to the idea of certain paranormal phenomenon

• Like 1

Here's one for you guys...

If the Big Bang was real, and came out of a singularity, than EVERTHING is quantum entangled.

This thought, if true, has enormous importance to the idea of certain paranormal phenomenon

Can you be more specific?

I believe in the double slit experiment the wavefunction is observed to collapse leading some to suspect that existence is just an illusion or even some grotesque computer simulation by some very advanced entity.

That's not quite an accurate description of what the double slit experiment demonstrates. That experiment demonstrates that a photon, when passing through a barrier in which two or more possible 'paths' can be taken by that photon, produces a wave phenomenon upon interaction with a surface the other side of that barrier, but doesn't do so [produce a wave phenomenon] when only one possible path can be taken through that same barrier.

This is not the same as saying "the wavefunction of the photon is observed to collapse". Some conclude the experiment demonstrates the photon's ability to "interact with itself" to produce this diffraction pattern (i.e. the photon exhibits properties of a wave), which would mean the photon is actually a non-local phenomenon (i.e. it can 'appear' in more than one place simultaneously, thus one photon passes through both slits in the barrier.) While there is also the possibility the diffraction pattern is the result of the photon interacting with some part of the experimental setup - not 'itself'.

It's true that the description of the photon before it passes through the barrier can be represented by a mathematical wavefunction, this does not mean the photon actually exists as this wavefunction and so we cannot conclude there is ever any 'collapse' taking place.

• Like 1

Maybe the question should be "what do you believe quantum entanglement has the ability to affect"? And that would be outside of what has already been observed. We know that exists but what does it exist in? We may have different beliefs about that.

Edited by SpiritWriter
  • Like 2

Wikipedia

It appears that Wikipedia chooses to personify objects to get its point across. My question is "do you believe in the above?" It is known that this has been verified by experiment but the public may not be convinced when many scientists use unscientific language like "weird" to describe quantum effects rather than the paranormal.

Surely the inference is that quantum entanglement incorporates faster than light communication which goes against relativity. How can the public believe in something which communicates backwards in time?

The word weird infers the supernatural

"Spooky action at a distance" is my fave.

The answer is still yes

Edited by Aus Der Box Skeptisch