Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Black cats may be the more fortunate felines

Althalus

Black cats, a symbol of bad luck in many cultures, may be actually be more fortunate than their fairer relatives. New research shows that black coats have evolved separately many times in different species of cat - indicating that dark fur has a survival benefit.

Furthermore, the mutations leading to a black coat are in the same gene family as those involved in human diseases like AIDS, so it may be that black cats are more resistant to disease than others. Of the 37 species of cat that exist, 11 can have black coats.

user posted image View: Full Article | Source: Yahoo News

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Althalus

• racerette

• JoJoBinks

• madman

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

At the vet clinic I work at, I think maybe out of the many many cats that have been in there, only 2-3 were black?!

huh.gif

Thats funny and makes sense. Out of the 3 animals that have been in my life, and now seem like my guardians, all 3 were black haired. 2 cats and one dog, all with that one white spot on their kneck. The first cat lived to be 20 years old in human years.....Not how about that for healthy cat?? The second cat didnt last that long but was smart like a human. Died of liver disease(he really liked me to mix baily's with his milk).....I feel sad about that but he seemed to enjoy it a lot with me. Cant wait to see that one again in the after-life.(he died at 10. But lived like a king). And the dog.....He died at 15 but thats only cuz he fell down two flights of stairs. Before that he was fine.

So maybe! (But I will say the cat that left here at 9, was a black cat with yellow eyes, AND, was part Manx with no tail and big hind legs. Oh he'd terrorize the neighborhood, like a vigilante. I think it would of taken a bobcat to beat that cat in a fight) I'd hear cat fights outside sometimes while I slept. Took me a couple years to not worry about him, cuz every morning he'd come home. Only once he had a boo boo, cut on the ear, must of got jumped by a few bad kitties.

And how does this make sense JoJo you ask? Because the first cat, 20 years......

The second one, booze and a hard thug life style did him in. The dog? 2 flights of stairs. But they all were linked up. When one passed, the other one would just come. Maybe they were the same spirit. So black haired animals in general just ROCK!

Out of all the cats I've had black ones have in general lived the longest. Unfortunatly for them only a handfull learned to look before they crossed the road.