Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Birds can sense a tornado over 900km away

UM-Bot

A species of warbler was observed evacuating its nest one day in advance of an approaching tornado.

Birds may actually be better at forecasting the weather than we are, that is according to a new bird migration study that has revealed the tendency for some species to fly the nest and head to a safer location just before the arrival of a hurricane.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/276006/birds-can-sense-a-tornado-over-900km-away

So...do they hear the tornadoes or do they hear the storms? The storms can be continuous, as a Texan, I'd hate to be in storm cell with continuous tornadoes!

• 2 weeks later...

What i find rather interesting is that the birds decided to abandon instead of taking a gamble just because one knows a storm is near does not necessarily mean its heading their way; either way smart approach and comes to show that meteorologists could learn from the birds.

If birds were really that sensitive why do they get hit by trucks all the time?

• Like 2

If birds were really that sensitive why do they get hit by trucks all the time?

[sarcasm]Yes, because given that trucks are a natural phenomenon and have existed for millions of years, it has given birds plenty of time to evolve a mechanism for avoiding them.[/sarcasm]

Evolution is a slow process. Trucks have only been around for a little over a century. Tornadoes, on the other hand, pre-date birds meaning it is highly possible that birds have evolved to avoid them.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf

So...do they hear the tornadoes or do they hear the storms? The storms can be continuous, as a Texan, I'd hate to be in storm cell with continuous tornadoes!

i would assume that they feel it, via the drop in air pressure, even at that distance.

So in essence then, in areas where there are dangerous storms, do the local populations use this as a sign to evacuate. Instead of waiting for a storm to strike?

So in essence then, in areas where there are dangerous storms, do the local populations use this as a sign to evacuate. Instead of waiting for a storm to strike?

it seems that this behaver was just noticed.

it seems that this behaver was just noticed.

That's so sad. If this was noted a decade or so ago. Then maybe that Boxing Day tsunami wouldn't have taken so many lives.

• Like 1

That's so sad. If this was noted a decade or so ago. Then maybe that Boxing Day tsunami wouldn't have taken so many lives.

Thats not very likely,storm systems such as hurricanes and tornadoes are far different natural phenomenon than a tsunami...

Thats not very likely,storm systems such as hurricanes and tornadoes are far different natural phenomenon than a tsunami...

I think I understand. Basically the undersea earthquake caused the tsunami, and the birds had little or no time to know it was coming. Is that right?

• Like 1

I think I understand. Basically the undersea earthquake caused the tsunami, and the birds had little or no time to know it was coming. Is that right?

Pretty much i was just going off of what the article said that it was presumed that the birds picked up on low frequency waves from the storms a distance away...

Edit to add

I think all animals have slight insticts that can clue them that something is about to go wrong,as humans we have just kind of forgotten how to use them...One example i always have perfect blood pressure but if a tropical storm is near it goes through the roof lol

Edited by CrimsonKing
  • Like 1

I

Pretty much i was just going off of what the article said that it was presumed that the birds picked up on low frequency waves from the storms a distance away...

Edit to add

I think all animals have slight insticts that can clue them that something is about to go wrong,as humans we have just kind of forgotten how to use them...One example i always have perfect blood pressure but if a tropical storm is near it goes through the roof lol

I see what you mean.

My mother could tell when a damp wet spell was coming, as her knees hurt like hell. And she always seemed right. Dunno how this fits in with the bird thing, but just thought I would share it

I

I see what you mean.

My mother could tell when a damp wet spell was coming, as her knees hurt like hell. And she always seemed right. Dunno how this fits in with the bird thing, but just thought I would share it

most people with arthritis can feel a shift in the weather.

most people with arthritis can feel a shift in the weather.

I wonder how though. What 'forces' are at work Here?