Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Seal found in a field 20 miles inland

Still Waters

A seal had to be rescued from a field more than 20 miles inland - after apparently getting "very, very lost".

The seal, which was discovered in Newton-le-Willows, near St Helens in Merseyside on Monday morning, was likely to have swum up to 50 miles away from its home before clambering into the fenced-off field from a nearby brook, experts said.

http://www.telegraph...-St-Helens.html

• Like 3

How did the seal get all the way there?

Awwww (hugs)

The mystery that may never be solved is why it did what it did. Seals gotta do what seals gotta do i 'spose.

The 'Experts' expertly figured it swam up the river and then flippered its way across the landscape

• Like 1

The seal's flippers were not strong enough to fly too far and so it fell to the ground.

More likely explanation is that the seal is just too fat.

Edited by Ashyne

I wonder is some drunk jerks could have gotten it in a truck and drove it out there. I hope it well get well enough to be released.

• Like 1

Grey Seal by Elton John

And tell me grey seal

How does it feel

To be so wise

To see through eyes

That only see what's real

Tell me grey seal

Guess not...

Edited by Sundew
  • Like 1

i really hope the seal is ok!

If it's not too weak it should be fine. It will probably go to a wildlife rehab center, get fattened back up, have a few antibiotic injections and then be released. The question is will it repeat this behavior? I believe there was a whale that kept going far up into a freshwater river (which is not healthy longterm for marine animals) for several years in a row, they would drive it out and it would just come back next year.

I used to work on the ocean and I've heard of and witnessed people doing some not so kind things to gray seals and other wildlife. I wouldn't put it past a human to net one and transport it to the mainland and dump it. Trust me I've seen much worse.

I used to work on the ocean and I've heard of and witnessed people doing some not so kind things to gray seals and other wildlife. I wouldn't put it past a human to net one and transport it to the mainland and dump it. Trust me I've seen much worse.

Sadly true.

• Like 1

He got lost looking for his friends, they were supposed to meet up and go out clubbing. :whistle:

• Like 2

He got lost looking for his friends, they were supposed to meet up and go out clubbing. :whistle:

Unfortunately I get the joke. Good one though

• Like 2

Update -

The seal that was found stranded 20 miles inland in a Merseyside field has been named Dumbledore by RSPCA staff, who say it still needs a lot of veterinary care before it can be returned to the wild.

The seal has a head injury and an RSPCA spokesman said that while staff at East Winch were "hopeful that he will make a full recovery" it was "too early to tell how he will respond in the long term".

http://www.telegraph...inary-care.html

• Like 2

Its in my neck of the woods this, the Seal made its way that far inland by swimming up the River Mersey estuary and then followed brooks inland. He's now in the care of the RSPCA, who have named him Dumbledore. He seems to be suffering from a Respiratory infection and is being treated with Antibiotics - and once he's made a full recovery he'll be released back into the seal colony in the Dee estuary at Hilbre Island. (reported on Local Radio today)

It was funny watching the rescue attempt on the Local News channel. the Police, Fire & rescue and RSPCA, and British Divers Marine Life Rescue all trying to get the seal moved.

Seal in the Field. (looking a bit sorry for himself)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHdDOZoPRyc

Pictured in the Rescue centre.

JS53521605.jpg

• Like 1

Wow ... he must have pished off some mean Eskimos ~

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

just to update, the Seal died last week, It was reported on Local Radio.He died of pneumonia.

“Staff at the centre worked tirelessly to make sure Dumbledore was comfortable and to treat him for his ailments. He was found to be suffering from pneumonia and was listless with no appetite. “While X-rays showed he had no trauma from injuries and his severe pneumonia was being treated with antibiotic injections every day his appetite never fully returned. “After 26 days in care and despite receiving highly skilled care his health was deteriorating fast and he died on Saturday night.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/dumbledore-stranded-seal-died-8474949

• Like 1

just to update, the Seal died last week, It was reported on Local Radio.He died of pneumonia.

Thanks Steve for the update........that's a shame :(

• Like 2