Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
UM-Bot

Drought is likely cause of Mayan collapse

12 posts in this topic

UM-Bot

Further evidence has been found suggesting that drought caused the collapse of the Mayan civilization.

With their impressive pyramids and unrivaled mastery of mathematics, writing and art the Maya were one of the most successful civilizations ever to arise in South America.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/276311/drought-is-likely-cause-of-mayan-collapse

DONTEATUS

We will repeat this again Im sure of it!

LimeGelatin

Did anyone see the movie Apocalypto. Drought may have gotten the ball of their demise rolling, but I think it was the diseases that arose from all of the blood spread by their brutality that did them in.

Calibeliever

Once a society reaches a certain size and complexity it takes too long to adapt to major climate changes such as drought. The western US should take heed.

Hammerclaw

Apocalypto ripped off two other movies, the 1984 British drama The Killing Fields set in Cambodia during the terror reign of the Khemer Rouge, and the 1965 adventure film The Naked Prey, set in Africa in the nineteenth century. Some of the action and dramatic episodes in Apocalypto seemed almost lifted bodily from those two films. While blood sacrifice was practiced throughout MesoAmerica, it is not known to have occured on the scale depicted in the film among the Maya.

Mentalcase

The Mayans were destroyed by the Spanish I thought?

Calibeliever

The Mayans were destroyed by the Spanish I thought?

That was the Aztec. The Mayan civilization was all but gone by 900 AD or so. What was left of it was likely absorbed by the Inca and then Aztec.

Atuke

These studies aren't quite right. Apparently they don't really know the maya zone. There a very different climates in all the vast region. For example Yucatan penninsula it is very different to from Tabasco swamps, or the riverside along Coatzacoalcos. Mayans were not only one single empire, so certain cities were in rise and others in fall, invations of caciques etc. The drought is very relative in places such as Tabasco, for example where the rivers and swamps never ceased just decresed. And it is quite illogical they had gone to the North in such drought, because it is pretty much drier as Chichen Itzá. On the other hand, many mayan cities and settlements were beside and around "cenotes" water pools with subterranean rivers so, doubtfully drought meant trhirsty. Mayans never moved or emigrated all of them, they stayed in the areas, growing cocoa bean, widely used as money in the aztec period, XV and XVI centuries. So, the collapse is related only to abandoned great cities, but never the end of the maya civilization

Jarocal

Atuke,

If I am not mistaken some of the more arid areas which should have been more susceptible to a widespread, prolonged drought (as is theorized) actually showed signs of growth during the period.

Orcseeker

Did anyone see the movie Apocalypto. Drought may have gotten the ball of their demise rolling, but I think it was the diseases that arose from all of the blood spread by their brutality that did them in.

I have seen that movie and the disease you saw in it was smallpox. An introduced disease from the Spanish and not from bloodshed.

Swede

I have seen that movie and the disease you saw in it was smallpox. An introduced disease from the Spanish and not from bloodshed.

You may wish to refine/reconcile your temporal and cultural timelines. You may also find the following to be of interest:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/11304065

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11304065

http://www.ajtmh.org.../6/733.full.pdf

Edit: Additional references.

Edited by Swede

back to earth

I think most civilisations failed due to drought or climate change. Once the water isn't available anymore like it was - big trubs!