Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged] £1M hoard of ancient coins found

seeder

Amateur treasure hunter finds £1million hoard of 1,000-year-old Anglo Saxon coins - after a whip-round for petrol to get there

Paul Coleman, 59, stumbled upon silver coins in dig in Buckinghamshire

He was on dig with Weekend Wanderers Detecting Club on December 21

Initially father-of-two wasn't going to go because he couldn't afford petrol

Vast hoard of 5,251 pieces described as one of largest in British history

They were buried 'carefully' in a lead container and have no scratches

Finders could be in for a hefty windfall if coins are declared treasure

http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz3NfBykCVh

Edited by seeder
  • Like 2

From the linked article...

...more than 5,000 silver coins made in the reigns of Ethelred the Unready (978-1016) and Cnut (1016-1035).

It is thought that the find could be connected to a mint established by Ethelred at nearby Buckingham and which remained active during the time of Cnut.

The 5,251 coins were in a lead-lined container buried two feet under ground. Only some have been properly cleaned but all have proved to be in excellent condition.

Interesting. Seeing as it dates from Cnut's reign, during which England was relatively peaceful as part of a larger Scandinavian empire, and seeing as the coins are in excellent condition, I wonder whether the stashing of the hoard has something more to do with dodgy matters of a criminal nature at the mint, rather than protecting someone's wealth from a Viking raid?

Edited by Peter B
  • Like 1

If this had happened in the United States the I.R.S. would have been on this guy's back before the first coin was pulled from the dirt.

• Like 3

i remember buying an old roman antiquity coin from ebay... for like 5$

guess it's a fake

Roman and green coins are rather plentiful and can be had for as little as 20 bucks. Your 5 dollar coin could be the real deal.

Roman and green coins are rather plentiful and can be had for as little as 20 bucks. Your 5 dollar coin could be the real deal.

Agreed, and ebay has plenty of artefacts of all sorts, heres just one group of coins for a fiver

LINK

Edited by seeder
  • Like 1

http://www.news.com.au/technology/science/weekend-wanderers-find-ancient-coins-worth-2m-buried-on-farm-at-amateur-dig/story-fnjwl1aw-1227173298450

HOW’S this for a dig? An whopping wad of ancient Anglo Saxon coins worth almost $2 million has been found by amateur treasure hunters armed with just metal detectors.

The coins, which are more than 1,000 years old, were stumbled upon by members of the Weekend Wanderers Detecting Club during a Christmas dig near Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire.

• Like 3

http://www.news.com....w-1227173298450

HOW’S this for a dig? An whopping wad of ancient Anglo Saxon coins worth almost $2 million has been found by amateur treasure hunters armed with just metal detectors.

The coins, which are more than 1,000 years old, were stumbled upon by members of the Weekend Wanderers Detecting Club during a Christmas dig near Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire.

Yes, I read about this on the Ancient Empires site.

Under British Law they're classified as "Treasure" which must be rendered up to the Crown, in the first instance.

The Crown will either keep them and compensate the landowner and the finders, or give them back. Museums may also bid to buy the coins.

Wow, that's really cool. I would love to find something really old buried like that.

• Like 2

I liked when they described the coins as looking like mirrors with no scratches , they must have shone like the day they were buried . What a delightful find .

http://www.news.com....w-1227173298450

This has got to p*** off the gold-hording power-mongers who want to control the circulation of gold in the world.

Yes, I read about this on the Ancient Empires site.

Under British Law they're classified as "Treasure" which must be rendered up to the Crown, in the first instance.

The Crown will either keep them and compensate the landowner and the finders, or give them back. Museums may also bid to buy the coins.

Actually in order for the horde to be classified as 'treasure' a coroner needs to authenticate the coins first, proving they are what they are and they don't belong to anyone or been stolen... saw a wonderful program on the BBC about a Saxon gold horde and the procedures that the finders had to go through.

• Like 2

Actually in order for the horde to be classified as 'treasure' a coroner needs to authenticate the coins first, proving they are what they are and they don't belong to anyone or been stolen... saw a wonderful program on the BBC about a Saxon gold horde and the procedures that the finders had to go through.

I like shows like that , there is an English Art Show where they try to find the provenance of paintings and the procedures that have to be followed . After they prove this find is not a prank or a hoax for financial gain, the finding of the provenance would be as fascinating as the find itself !

I like shows like that , there is an English Art Show where they try to find the provenance of paintings and the procedures that have to be followed . After they prove this find is not a prank or a hoax for financial gain, the finding of the provenance would be as fascinating as the find itself !

Fact or Faked, brilliant show.

I really felt sorry for Philip Mould and Bender when they sunk so much of their own capital into a painting, and were dead certain of it's origin only to be shot down by the experts and have to, due to professional standards for their day jobs have to suck it up rather then argue the point.

Fact or Faked, brilliant show.

I really felt sorry for Philip Mould and Bender when they sunk so much of their own capital into a painting, and were dead certain of it's origin only to be shot down by the experts and have to, due to professional standards for their day jobs have to suck it up rather then argue the point.

Fake or Fortune ! .. that's it . I watched it once and was hooked . How they can read layers , under layers, between layers, fascinating stuff . My favourite episode was also one where the painting was declared fake , but no one accepted it , The man who declared the painting fake , was following in his Fathers footsteps, who had also declared the painting a fake . It was a family descended from a great master and they have final say in provenance with this particular artist, but I forget who the artist was

One of the Old Masters - Rembrandt I think.

I love the one where the do all the leg work and you get this grudging "yes ..." from the expert and it goes for a mint when it's sold (a charcoal by someone like Monet IIRC)

This has got to p*** off the gold-hording power-mongers who want to control the circulation of gold in the world.

??

What do you mean?

• Like 1

:lol: WHAT?

"Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and unto God the things that are God's"