Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What if every volcano erupted at once ?

UM-Bot

What would happen in the unlikely scenario that every volcano on Earth erupted at the same time ?

It's a truly terrifying prospect, albeit an unlikely one, but if every volcano across the planet did suddenly decide to erupt simultaneously would it spell disaster for the human race ?

Read More: http://www.unexplain...-eruped-at-once

What made them decide to erupt simultaneously this time ?

If everyone in China jumped Up & down at the same time. :unsure2:
  • Like 1

What if people were to build underground bunkers with supplies, air etc.

Every volcano on earth...

Judging by some that have already erupted: Tamboura (1815) caused the Year Without a Summer. Massive crop failures, starvation. Krakatoa (1883) produced the worst winter storm in US history (1886): cattle died by the tens of thousands. The harbor in Portsmouth, NH froze over (the only time in history); Hopkinsville, KY reported 40 below zero; Wichita, KS reported 42 below zero. In western Kansas a railroad train froze to the tracks and couldn't move - an eleven engine rescue train got stuck in the snow at Salida, KS; in Wyoming, a stagecoach made its run on top of the snow, without leaving any tracks; more than a hundred Kansans froze to death in their houses. It was the end of Open Range and the end of the West.

In 535 a volcano erupted creating an eighteen month haze over Europe. In Gottland there was continuous snow cover for three years. The Franks crossed the Alps looking for food and caught Rome between them and Justinian's army coming up from the south. The Annals of the Four Masters reported: "failure of bread" in 536. The Norse remember this as Fimbul Winter.

Volcano signatures occur in tree rings. Major eruptions produce cold summers. Crops fail.

And if every volcano on earth erupted at once, there wouldn't be such a thing as global warming.

We'd have a new calendar: BV and AV. Before the Volcanos, and After the Volcanos. That is, if anybody survived to remember the event.

Doug

Edited by Doug1029
  • Like 7

something like this already happen

When was this?

something like this already happen

Yeah, i'm really curious about this too.

• Like 1

He's probably referring to some massive flood volcanism LIP like the Deccan or Siberian Traps. Which were pretty major events.

• Like 1

He's probably referring to some massive flood volcanism LIP like the Deccan or Siberian Traps. Which were pretty major events.

If so, then I see his point.

It's a truly terrifying prospect, albeit an unlikely one, but if every volcano across the planet did suddenly decide to erupt simultaneously would it spell disaster for the human race ?

-------------------------------------

That is an insane proposal because it just won't happen. "Albeit an unlikely one" is the VERY key term.

• Like 1

Every volcano on earth...

Judging by some that have already erupted: Tamboura (1815) caused the Year Without a Summer. Massive crop failures, starvation. Krakatoa (1883) produced the worst winter storm in US history (1886): cattle died by the tens of thousands. The harbor in Portsmouth, NH froze over (the only time in history); Hopkinsville, KY reported 40 below zero; Wichita, KS reported 42 below zero. In western Kansas a railroad train froze to the tracks and couldn't move - an eleven engine rescue train got stuck in the snow at Salida, KS; in Wyoming, a stagecoach made its run on top of the snow, without leaving any tracks; more than a hundred Kansans froze to death in their houses. It was the end of Open Range and the end of the West.

In 535 a volcano erupted creating an eighteen month haze over Europe. In Gottland there was continuous snow cover for three years. The Franks crossed the Alps looking for food and caught Rome between them and Justinian's army coming up from the south. The Annals of the Four Masters reported: "failure of bread" in 536. The Norse remember this as Fimbul Winter.

Volcano signatures occur in tree rings. Major eruptions produce cold summers. Crops fail.

And if every volcano on earth erupted at once, there wouldn't be such a thing as global warming.

We'd have a new calendar: BV and AV. Before the Volcanos, and After the Volcanos. That is, if anybody survived to remember the event.

Doug

Thanks, probably won't sleep tonight as my mind will keep me awake thinking of possible survival solutions. So far it involves;-

a) getting a gun

b] robbing/and or shooting people and taking their food.

c) eating people.

But it's not a very sociable way of going about things and I'm not exactly gonna make any friends so still working on other ideas.

Edited by George Ford

I'm pretty sure that it would spell doom for humans. Other volcanic eruptions have shown us it can really shake up our agriculture, so if all of them went off that would probably nix out the majority of our food supply, and no bunkers would fix that. At least it would nix off those that survived the deadly gasses, ash, and seriously screwed climate. And why all of them to go off at once might hork us just as much as any after effects.

• Like 1

We have, as well as some other nations, completely self-contained/self-sustaining emergency bunkers(continually partially occupied) designed for a variety of "world-disaster" scenarios.

Many old volcanoes are truly extinct, the earth is pock marked with hundreds of old volcanic remains, some are almost at ground level, just a slight couple of meters for a rim.

But any place in the world, where water and lava come into contact underground, a volcanic explosion or eruption can happen.

It is not only likely but predicted that in our life time, whole coast lines of cities will disappear into lava pits after and with explosions.

Slightly different than volcanoes which may push the earth up into a mountain, it's a new type of destruction.

Rather than the lava and ash falling from the air, the ground beneath gives way, and the buildings fall into a fiery pit. Water and smoke combine, shooting upwards in a thick black column.

There is another phenomenon which entails fire storms created by the same, these are very heavy black clouds containing volcanic ash, earth's surface dust as well as a very high moisture content in the form of super heated vapor, and the cloud is starving for oxygen, so it billows fiercely into an upright pillar and then rushes forwards belting the atmosphere and ground with multiple lightning strikes as it goes.

Some times they move higher up and spread out over the landscape, and at night as the wind sweeps underneath the black canopy, it lights up in oranges and reds, as the suffocating embers get some air.

Thats why i cant believe in evolution, volcanoes have been around for much much longer than humans but have we ever evolved into volcanoes? No - and its unlikely we ever will. I rest my case.

• Like 1

It'll cut down my heating bills though!

I find this to be a very dumb article. Sure playing "what if's" can be fun, but it's like they couldn't find anything else to write about.

• Like 2

Thank you for giving me another unlikely scenario to constantly worry about. What if a plane falls on my house? What if the car explodes? What if every volcano on Earth erupted at once?

• Like 1

Has anyone called SyFy yet? Sounds like a Saturday night movie plot to me.

Seriously, if allt he volcanoes erupted ate once, the oceanic ones would probably boil the oceans, killing all the fish while the land-based ones would take care of everything else. If the eruptions emptied the Earth's core, would the Earth collapse inwards to fill the hole?

Yeah - Let's call SyFy!

:blush::-*:unsure2::su:hmm::cry:

• Like 2

Has anyone called SyFy yet? Sounds like a Saturday night movie plot to me.

Seriously, if allt he volcanoes erupted ate once, the oceanic ones would probably boil the oceans, killing all the fish while the land-based ones would take care of everything else. If the eruptions emptied the Earth's core, would the Earth collapse inwards to fill the hole?

Yeah - Let's call SyFy!

:blush::-*:unsure2::su:hmm::cry:

Im glad you said that about the oceans, because 90% of ALL volcanic activity takes place underwater, so if that 90% kicked off, plus the land based volcanoes, we will go extinct rather quickly.

Thank you for giving me another unlikely scenario to constantly worry about. What if a plane falls on my house? What if the car explodes? What if every volcano on Earth erupted at once?

About that plane: my dog barks at them to keep them away. Must work - we've never had one come near the house.

Do you seriously think this is going to happen? The closest we ever came were the Siberian Traps. It is believed they were the cause of the end-Permian mass extinction which killed off 95% of terrestrial species. That was 250 million years ago and nothing that big has happened since. Geologists tell us we'd have about a thousand years' warning of another such eruption and that there is no evidence of anything coming up. Think I'll go back to sleep.

One thought about the Siberian Traps. At the time they were created, they were directly over the hotspot that created the Emperor Sea Mounts and the Hawaiian Islands. Iridium is believed to be associated with asteroid impacts and the Hawaiian hotspot is high in iridium. Hundreds of millions of years ago, might that hotspot have been created by a huge impact that at least cracked the crust clear through to the mantle, if not actually penetrating all the way through?

Doug

Edited by Doug1029

You shouldn't have chucked the remains of your curry into one of them, you know they dont like cold curry, it makes them feel sick.
  • Like 1