Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bowhead whales could hold key to longevity

UM-Bot

Scientists have identified the genes that enable these aquatic mammals to live in excess of 200 years.

For centuries mankind has been obsessed with finding ways to improve longevity or to reverse the ageing process and with recent advances in modern science and medicine it may not be long before achieving this goal becomes a real possibility.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/276480/bowhead-whales-could-hold-key-to-longevity

• Like 1

Oh great, leave the evil heads of companies *cough* Koch Brothers *cough* in charge for longer. My money is on something like this has already been made but only now been made aware to the public.

Very interesting, and seemingly promising perhaps not for me, rather for my children or grandchildren, or further down the road.

But would you really want to live 200 years?

Why not? It's suggested that one would not be in a constant state of infirmity for, say, 110 additional years after all.

Life Expectancy Data

By DAVID LEONHARDT

Published: September 27, 2006

For most of human history, the average lifespan was considerably less than 50 years. It began to rise markedly in the 19th century, hitting 49 in the United States in 1900, and then took off in the 20th century.

“Life expectancy increased only very slowly for two millennia,” said Richard Suzman, director of the Social and Behavioral Research Program at the National Institute on Aging, “and then almost doubled since 1800.”

Today, the average baby born in this country will live to 78. The average 35 year old will live to about 80. And the average 65 year old will live past 83.

Source: http://www.nytimes.c...dt_sidebar.html

So, this suggests that, in general, quality of life is extended with extended genetic and/or medically assisted longevity.

In other words, again in general, a person who lives to be 200 may not experience the infirmities of "old age" until they reach 150-175.

As such, I would love to live to 200 years old.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

On a serious note, unless we colonize space or make some population restrictions allowing people to live longer is not a good idea. There are more babies being born than people dying everyday so allowing people to live longer will just increase the population tremendously.

• Like 2

Actually, standing upright and arms stretched apart, the entire human population of the Earth would very easily fit within the U.S. state of Florida.

Even more, the entire human population lying down, arms to their sides, no stacking, would fit into the Tampa, Florida county district.

Even more, the entire human population lying down, arms to their sides, no stacking, would fit into the Tampa, Florida county district.

That's very interesting. Would you provide a link to verify this information?

Thanks...

• Like 1

That's very interesting. Would you provide a link to verify this information?

Thanks...

I guess I had my city wrong given the explosive population since I first read about this years ago.

It's now L.A. as opposed to Tampa...

Quote:

Standing shoulder-to-shoulder, the entire world's population could fit within the 500 square miles (1,300 square kilometers) of Los Angeles.

Source: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2011/10/111031-population-7-billion-earth-world-un-seven/

I guess I had my city wrong given the explosive population since I first read about this years ago.

It's now L.A. as opposed to Tampa...

Quote:

Standing shoulder-to-shoulder, the entire world's population could fit within the 500 square miles (1,300 square kilometers) of Los Angeles.

Source: http://news.national...world-un-seven/

Sure, but where would you put the toilets?

Place would therefore be very stinky.

Harte

• Like 1

Sure, but where would you put the toilets?

Place would therefore be very stinky.

Harte

lol

[ ...To live on as we have is to leave behind joy and love and companionship because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash.

Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal."

" You should embrace this wonderful illusion . "

– Lorien

A character from Babylon-5 ]

If I could stay physically and mentally about 20 to 25 yrs old it may be nice . I'm now 60 and the appeal of long life has long pasted me by . :no::td:

Here is a list of Earths long lived animals...why set our sights so low?

Ocean Quahog

Some collected specimens have been calculated to be more than 400 years old. These animals show exceptional longevity with a highest reported age, for 'Ming' the clam, of 507 years. It was collected alive by an expedition in 2006 so it may have lived even longer if left in the wild.

Immortal Jellyfish

One who outlives them all, real name 'Turritopsis Dohrnii', this jellyfish is unique in that it exhibits a certain form of immortality; it can transform itself from an adult back into a baby through a process known as 'transdifferentiation',in which one type of cell transforms into another. The jellyfish turns itself into a blob-like cyst, which then develops into a polyp colony; this is the first stage in jellyfish life. Through asexual reproduction, the resulting polyp colony can spawn hundreds of genetically identical jellyfish - near perfect copies of the original adult.

http://www.onekind.org/be_inspired/top_10_lists/longestliving/

And why not try living for 50,000 years by unlocking the genome of this plant....

...King's Holly, otherwise known as Lomatia tasmanica, is believed to be at least 43,000 years old.

Only one cluster of the ancient plant remains in a secret southern Tasmanian location, surrounded by deadly root rot.

Tasmanian explorer, Denny King, discovered the plant in 1937...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-09/botanists-try-to-save-the-worlds-oldest-living-plant/5659970

:tu:

Edited by taniwha

But would you really want to live 200 years?

Yes , I would love it , but it would be an expensive business , living 200 years . Would we have to work until we reached the retirement age of 160 ? Would everyone be driving around on electrickety scooters ? .. but yes, yes and yes !
  • Like 1

Well, if we could only modify the genes of humans that would go on deep space missions, that would be quite a value. The practicality of this would be quite low unless we engineered the entire genome, which would meet much resistance. We could wind up with a race of "Khans" with no Kirk and Spock to take care of them.