Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Easter Island collapse theory challenged

UM-Bot

A new study has called in to question conventional theories about the disappearance of the islanders.

A small land mass of only 60 square miles, Easter Island has remained something of an enigma for years. Its army of strange stone heads and the unexplained disappearance of its inhabitants are mysteries that continue to draw both intrigue and puzzlement.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/276709/easter-island-collapse-theory-challenged

• Like 2

I have to say that blaming the Europeans would seem to be a brilliant answer to the problem of the devastated population.

But, lets face it, we all know why the collapse occurred, the people of Rapa Nui failed to appease the gods with ever larger monuments.

The culprit is now and has always been fickle supernatural beings whose glory was not reflected or manifested in enough large stone proxies of their magnificently divine grace.

• Like 4

it's always Europeans fault for what happened to aboriginals after contact. Even by this day the fact first nations are dawning themselves with alcohol and tobacco or hideous crimes, refusing government school grands its of all of course Columbus fault.

Edited by qxcontinuum
  • Like 1

A new study has called in to question conventional theories about the disappearance of the islanders.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...eory-challenged

...but they DIDN'T disappear they are still there - now they were greatly reduced but a few were able to return from Chilean slavery and a some remained on the island itself.

Additional information about the paper: first significance

Our paper evaluates a long-standing debate and examines whether the prehistoric population of Rapa Nui experienced a significant demographic collapse prior to European contact in AD 1722. We have used dates from hydrated obsidian artifacts recovered from habitation sites as a proxy for land use over time. The analysis suggests region-specific dynamics that include the abandonment of leeward and interior locations. These temporal land-use patterns correlate with rainfall variation and soil quality. This analysis demonstrates that the concept of “collapse” is a misleading characterization of prehistoric human population dynamics. As a result, we see our approach as useful in the study of other prehistoric societies for which a sudden demographic collapse has been proposed in prehistory.

Abstract

Many researchers believe that prehistoric Rapa Nui society collapsed because of centuries of unchecked population growth within a fragile environment. Recently, the notion of societal collapse has been questioned with the suggestion that extreme societal and demographic change occurred only after European contact in AD 1722. Establishing the veracity of demographic dynamics has been hindered by the lack of empirical evidence and the inability to establish a precise chronological framework. We use chronometric dates from hydrated obsidian artifacts recovered from habitation sites in regional study areas to evaluate regional land-use within Rapa Nui. The analysis suggests region-specific dynamics including precontact land use decline in some near-coastal and upland areas and postcontact increases and subsequent declines in other coastal locations. These temporal land-use patterns correlate with rainfall variation and soil quality, with poorer environmental locations declining earlier. This analysis confirms that the intensity of land use decreased substantially in some areas of the island before European contact.

http://www.pnas.org/...712112.abstract

Edited by Hanslune
  • Like 2

"Instead it appears to have been contact with the Europeans, who brought diseases such as smallpox and syphilis, that was almost entirely responsible for their eventual disappearance."

Surely this isn't new news? I thought this was already known to be the case? As has been said, the fact that 60% of the island's population are Rapa Nui makes me question what this claimed disappearance is all about? Was the island repopulated at some point in later history?

Edited by TheSpoonyOne
  • Like 2

I'm still going with the destruction of natural resources. I seem to remember that seeds of an extinct and unknown palm were found on a cave on the island. Their nearest relatives appear to be Jubea chiliensis, a truly gigantic palm species found in South America. It was thought that the trees were cut down to use as rollers to move the statures. That is only one species that was apparently driven to extinction by the inhabitants. There may have been many others including hardwood trees, etcetera. Once you denude the island of large timber, you no longer have boat building material, and you can change the ecology of an island. With the canopy gone you can lose permanently flowing steams of water, without constant water you can lose crops like taro, a common starch and main food in Polynesian culture. The waters around the island are not supposed to be very productive and difficult to fish compared with many of the Polynesian ancestral islands where there were reefs and shallows. So it is possible they became trapped and had relatively little food, timber, etcetera. And rather than Europeans, they may have brought their own plague to the islands; before they lost the ability to build boats, perhaps the inhabitants came into contact with the natives of South America on one of their voyages as well, bringing disease to the island. We may never know.

• Like 3

it's always Europeans fault for what happened to aboriginals after contact. Even by this day the fact first nations are dawning themselves with alcohol and tobacco or hideous crimes, refusing government school grands its of all of course Columbus fault.

WELL when they bring diseases like smallpox the glove does fit....

Wouldn't the theory of European introduced viral infections have been recognized before the theory of depleted resources ?

Shouldn't European introduced disease be the obvious answer within a few years of European contact ?

Easter Island has always been on my travel list

From the research I've done, that island seems to be a temporal portal or gate of some sort. But then I'm talking from a hyper dimensional physics point of view here. I've been studying around the world reports of anomalies from pilots, ships captains, and also visitors to various places. And also the planetary / world grids etc. Mostly magnetic anomalies, but also those where time discrepancies have been reported etc. Not only from military and professional types but also civilian sources to make sure that I'm looking at a very well rounded source.

What if, they just got caught in one of those anomalies like a star gate or portal type situation and disappeared?

But then there are thousands of civilizations that have been found buried under feet of sand, water, etc. So who knows, right?

Edited by onceinabluemoon

From the research I've done, that island seems to be a temporal portal or gate of some sort. But then I'm talking from a hyper dimensional physics point of view here. I've been studying around the world reports of anomalies from pilots, ships captains, and also visitors to various places. And also the planetary / world grids etc. Mostly magnetic anomalies, but also those where time discrepancies have been reported etc. Not only from military and professional types but also civilian sources to make sure that I'm looking at a very well rounded source.

What if, they just got caught in one of those anomalies like a star gate or portal type situation and disappeared?

But then there are thousands of civilizations that have been found buried under feet of sand, water, etc. So who knows, right?

Citations required.

• Like 2

Yeah, there's a whole hell of a bunch of "prove it" required for these claims.

• Like 2

I cannot for the life of me determine whether you are posting tongue-in-cheek.

• Like 1

Yeah, there's a whole hell of a bunch of "prove it" required for these claims.

He does not have to prove anything, he made a statement, it is up to you whether you know anything about what he is saying or not.

If you don't know anything about what he is saying, then you have to solve your own education on that topic, he does not have to spoon feed a dozen nappy wearing adults.

I have taken his statement at face value, and I don't know what he knows or does not know, so I don't comment on his statement. It could turn out to be true or just a game, it does not matter to me.

Why does he have to prove it? Can't you decide for yourself what's what? Or aren't the cells active?

From where?

Given that Blue started with the phrase "from the research I've done..." I'd be happy with the names of the works they researched.

Blue doesn't even need to tell me what about what they read was it that convinced them, just "these are the books and journals I read".

Look at it this way, I have a shelf dedicated to Atlantis, Mu and other similar ancient enigmas, and I have (this may surprise people) read many of them. I'm a particular fan of Andre Tomas and don't mind the conversational style of David Childress in his "Lost Cities...." series (still waiting for a "... of the Pacific and Australasia" David!). Once Blue gives us some names, I think I could very well lay my mits on at least one of what he used to do his research.

Edited by Sir Wearer of Hats
  • Like 1

Given that Blue started with the phrase "from the research I've done..." I'd be happy with the names of the works they researched.

Blue doesn't even need to tell me what about what they read was it that convinced them, just "these are the books and journals I read".

Look at it this way, I have a shelf dedicated to Atlantis, Mu and other similar ancient enigmas, and I have (this may surprise people) read many of them. I'm a particular fan of Andre Tomas and don't mind the conversational style of David Childress in his "Lost Cities...." series (still waiting for a "... of the Pacific and Australasia" David!). Once Blue gives us some names, I think I could very well lay my mits on at least one of what he used to do his research.

But surely you are aware of the many different publications out there, and how they fall into categories we all recognize.

It is not too hard to guess where a post gets its info from.

What if he was like a chicken, just having a peck here and there, picking up small bits of info which add up to his conclusion.

The amount of citations needed would be far too long, and besides if he was looking for something specific, and the article does not make any intentional emphasis on them, how will that article support his point of view or conclusion? It probably won't, and yet it still provided some info he needed, but others don't know or care about.

Edited by Starhunter

And because the Sydney Harbour Bridge is so massive it'd take years for them to clean and paint it.

Doesn't stop them from doing so every couple of years.

All you have to do is start...

Hey,

Star Hunter is right, for me to provide every last source of information I've researched would take a post as thick as a novel and more time than I have right now to look maybe a small percentage of them up, I could not yet scratch the surface on the years of research I've done on all this. But, one of the books, since you're familiar with Childress, I can recommend that one he wrote 'Antigravity and The World Grid', but I don't even remember the specific source that was specifically tying into Easter Island being a temporal gate / star gate. I remember having a conversation with a friend of mine that is active in the hyperdimensional physics field of research and the conversation including the temporal flow of the time stream for the planet coming in at Easter Island and exiting around where Delphi Greece is. That was when we were discussing temporal mechanics as well. But he travels the world and reads a LOT of ancient texts, scrolls, and speaks with various native cultures that aren't as heavily "touched" by western influences which allows for a much more pure perspective on the sciences he studies.

Edited by onceinabluemoon

Onceinabluemoon I think you and Starhunter is going to get along very well.

Maybe you allready know eachother ?

• Like 2

... for me to provide every last source of information I've researched would take a post as thick as a novel and more time than I have right now to look maybe a small percentage of them up, I could not yet scratch the surface on the years of research I've done on all this.

B . S .

I'm challenging you to prove that right here and right now. Or, maybe, in another thread as to not derail this one (not that it's much of a thread now).

I remember having a conversation with a friend of mine that is active in the hyperdimensional physics field of research///

And that would be.....?

But he travels the world and reads a LOT of ancient texts, scrolls, and speaks with various native cultures that aren't as heavily "touched" by western influences which allows for a much more pure perspective on the sciences he studies.

Again, who? Who is this magical person that is active in the hyper-dimensional physics field AND manages to find the time to travel the world seeking out all of this ancient biased knowledge?

• Like 2

Actually, my wife just pointed out something interesting....

If onceinabluemoon has such a wealth of material and knowledge and supposed so much actual and real information on it, why doesn't he actually write up a book or whatever instead of posting his alleged anything on a forum?

She and I will await his publications with great interest, of course. Hopefully, it won't be more of the usual woo.

And if he already has, let's see some links to the material please.

Oh, by the way, if you have starhunter defending you, that's not a vote of confidence.

I am sincerely, as always, interested in proof, not wild boastful claims.

Edited by Thorvir Hrothgaard

Actually, my wife just pointed out something interesting....

If onceinabluemoon has such a wealth of material and knowledge and supposed so much actual and real information on it, why doesn't he actually write up a book or whatever instead of posting his alleged anything on a forum?

She and I will await his publications with great interest, of course. Hopefully, it won't be more of the usual woo.

And if he already has, let's see some links to the material please.

Oh, by the way, if you have starhunter defending you, that's not a vote of confidence.

I am sincerely, as always, interested in proof, not wild boastful claims.

I find the syntax of their posts curiously similar, don't you think? Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 2

I find the syntax of their posts curiously similar, don't you think?

Whatever do you mean ? :innocent:

Whatever do you mean ? :innocent:

I always say what I mean. *lol* What word from the Mark?

Hey,

Star Hunter is right, for me to provide every last source of information I've researched would take a post as thick as a novel and more time than I have right now to look maybe a small percentage of them up, I could not yet scratch the surface on the years of research I've done on all this. But, one of the books, since you're familiar with Childress, I can recommend that one he wrote 'Antigravity and The World Grid', but I don't even remember the specific source that was specifically tying into Easter Island being a temporal gate / star gate. I remember having a conversation with a friend of mine that is active in the hyperdimensional physics field of research and the conversation including the temporal flow of the time stream for the planet coming in at Easter Island and exiting around where Delphi Greece is. That was when we were discussing temporal mechanics as well. But he travels the world and reads a LOT of ancient texts, scrolls, and speaks with various native cultures that aren't as heavily "touched" by western influences which allows for a much more pure perspective on the sciences he studies.

....but Childress is well known for just - well making stuff up - so why should we believe him or is this all about who can make up the most fantastic things?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The open out cry method as long as you mention non-western science and make hints dealing with magic and baked goods?

If so I have spoken with an enchanted can of Hormel Chili* which informs me that Starhunter is wrong.

Well there you have it he is wrong, well I guess that settles it.

*His name is Farruck and he was once an Atlantean shaman of the 'high bin' school of magic, metaphysics and discount farm animals.

• Like 3