Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Only male/female options in gender settings

Ozfactor

Well you didn't seem ok with it because you said

You seemed to not be ok with it, so I figured it would be nice to let you know how you can go about trying to change that. And to let you know that this is a standard default of the software developer, and not a UM specific thing. Though you can indeed submit to the help desk to see if other options are available.

Thank you again for helping me out , I really did appreciate it and I really am ok with the current 3 choice selection , I just think it is outdated .

No I have to go with the other fellow you criticized. These are sexualities primarily. They are not genders. If you want really I can give you five genders and that is only because I am close minded and think gender reassignment doesn't do the job. If you think its a magic wand then there are only three, you are whatever you were before and whatever you are after. You have the the junk of one, the other or both.

Think of gender like race and sexuality like culture. One you can check by looking but the other is a question of how the person self identifies

What are the 5 genders ?

If you we were asked our eye colour, but because green is not as common as blue or brown, it was not included , you could only choose blue, brown or not selected . It is as easy as that .

Sorry for the late reply.

I think maybe I am not being clear enough so maybe if I set up a fictional scenario it may help.

Now..everyone is born with a PHYSICAL gender, there is just no getting around it regardless of what you feel psychologically SO..

let's pretend that I am going to fill out a job application so I do the usual name, address and stuff then it gets to the male/female thing.

Now let us say that though I am one physical gender, PSYCHOLOGICALLY I feel the opposite of what I was PHYSICALLY born as; to complicate things let's further pretend that I also do not feel I am human but rather psychologically I feel like, say... a fox/kitsune. Now there are no selections for such things because this job as well as most, are not concerned about that.

Now...I have two choices, I could have a tantrum and go on and on about there not being any selections for what I feel psychologically OR...I can simply select what I was born as PHYSICALLY and leave it at that and leave the rest as it is no ones business. Such info is irrelevant and no one really needs to know. Taking it upon oneself to proclaim your psychological leanings does not serve anyone; it just seems to stroke the ego of the individual. If one is so confident in what they feel inside then why the need to proclaim it to those who never asked and don't really want or need to know?

Why should I waste my time and energy feeling left out just because there was no blank to fill in that said fox, wolf, dragon, chipmunk, etc? Because it does not matter for the job or even for registering for forums. No one really cares whether I am one gender but feel another or that I think I am really a dragon instead of a human.

A job position (as per the scenario) needs to be filled, nothing more.

• Like 4

I am not represented on the current gender selection settings

so how would you identify yourself then Oz, if you don't mind me asking?

I think the three options work just fine.

Most people identify themselves as either male or female, regardless of their lifestyle, history, or genitalia. The few that don't can opt out.

• Like 2

on a site like this, i don't care how you identify yourself other than your forum name, and i am sure that your real name is not ryu. although my real name is Daniel. i tolerate everyone, until they become a problem for me. i have only put two on ignore. i am anti-homosexual, but as long as you don't try to force yourself on me i don't care what you are.

I'd like to see a list of who puts a person on ignore, rather then a list of who I am ignoring. Would save posting responses to ignorant posts from others that are going to be ignored.

• Like 1

What are the 5 genders ?

male, female, both and then male->something not quite the panacea and female ->something not quite the panacea

Ok, here goes...why is it really so important that people know what your personal orientation is? When signing up to a forum or job, I don't think they really care about any of that, they just want your physical gender.

I mean it is good that some online places have a "not specified" option so why not just leave it at that?

I usually only want to know, so I don't offend. Some people are particular about being addressed as "she", "her"... Mainly because the default for an anonymous person is "he".

I personally think it seems awfully presumptuous to assume that everyone wants or needs to know; I had been on forums where people would do the customary introduction and on more than one occasion I had people say things like "Hi, I am so-and-so and before anyone asks, I'm gay". But therein lies the problem, no one asked because no one wanted to know to begin with.

I think the argument could be made that it is equal to someone's ethnicity. UM doesn't care if I am caucasian, or black, or asian, or native american. If you want to make sure that your ethnicity is highlighted, then put it in your signature, or in you quote, or in your title.

I think I would have to agree that there is only a base two genders, and hybrids of those to varying degrees. Which are all physical body based. The mental variables of Gender Identity, Sexual Preference and Lifestyle Preference are separate issues.

Gender = Male, Female, None, Both.

Lifestyle Preference: A male can live a female lifestyle (such as a cross dresser) and still be sexually straight and identify as a male.

Gender Identity: Which of the genders one identifies with most... Male, Female, None or Both. Which does not necessarily mean changing to another lifestyle, or sexual preference.

Sexual Preference: Spectrum of preference across the range between male and female.

Am I wrong here? Too simplistic, or too complex?

Anyway, I think if this is really going to be an issue, that "Gender" be removed from UM, and instead people post that variable in their quote, signature, title, or "about me" areas, where they can write in what they want to say they are.

Not selected :P
  • Like 1

In the gender settings there are only 3 options .

Male

Female

or Not Selected .

I am not represented on the current gender selection settings

Not selected :P

ah.

so you ARE represented then Oz.....

;-)

• Like 1

there are only two genders. male and female. you are which ever you were born as, or in the case of being born both genders

Physically yes. Mentally it's all in the air. It depends on your hormone saturation in the womb that make you mentally and sometimes physically less or more of a certain gender settings. Heck homosexuality isn't a sin, it's just one of mama nature's population control methods.

• Like 1

Why do people care so much ? Why would anyone resist changing gender options ? Is it because the 2 genders represented , feel threatened or afraid ? .. I am only curious , the same way I am curious why anyone would be threatened or afraid of same sex marriage .

I have looked at the responses and there is a recognition that there are more then 2 genders , in what ever form that takes , but there is a real resistance to recognizing it .

Why do people care so much ? Why would anyone resist changing gender options ? Is it because the 2 genders represented , feel threatened or afraid ? .. I am only curious , the same way I am curious why anyone would be threatened or afraid of same sex marriage .

I have looked at the responses and there is a recognition that there are more then 2 genders , in what ever form that takes , but there is a real resistance to recognizing it .

From what I've read in this thread most are indifferent at worst, a lot are supportive. And as far as same sex marriage goes (in the other threads) most are supportive.

Of course, there is the odd bigot.

i tend only look at someones gender if the posted something and i am looking for a reason they posted that. i mean if it is something they would normally post i don't look. men and women tend to think different, this does not change even if they want to be the other sex.

I generally tend to treat people based off if what they posted was smart, or stupid. (And I'm including ignorance under stupid for simplicity sake)

What someone's gender is usually only influences if I use the pronoun "he", or "she", when addressing the poster.

Sexual Preference and Gender Identification should go in your "about me" section.

• Like 1

In as far as it goes for this site I am not concerned how someone identifies with themselves with respect to gender,it's a discussion forum.If it was a dating site I would tend to consider that type of representation to carry some significance otherwise it could be embarassing for some members.

jmccr8

• Like 1

In as far as it goes for this site I am not concerned how someone identifies with themselves with respect to gender,it's a discussion forum.If it was a dating site I would tend to consider that type of representation to carry some significance otherwise it could be embarassing for some members.

jmccr8

Good points

~

UM is not a dating site ?

Izxyd8q.gif

~

Your gender is determined by which ever public loo you use.

Your gender is determined by which ever public loo you use.

Unisex? :unsure2:

It seems like it would be nice to offer more choices. I've known people who have identified as third gender. I even met someone who had two driver's licenses because the state didn't know how to categorize them. There could at least be an "other" category for those who don't feel that male or female identifies them.